Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rotherham -17pts

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Just heard that Rotherham are now - 17 and it is likely that Bournemouth will have points deducted, along with Luton - 30 pts. Doesn't the Football League realise that they have just spoilt the entertainment (if that is the word) for half the teams in that Division. Their season will be dead with ten games to go.

There must be clubs in League Two who have spent money on new players over the summer with a view to avoiding relegation to the Conference.

They should be entitled to a refund, now that the issue of relegation has been settled without a game being played.

At least it saves fans the trouble of taking any interest in the outcome of matches.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
So we've had 3 teams deducted points so far (inc. Leeds) and the punishment for the SAME offence has been -15, -20 and now -17.

Good to see the FL is consistent...

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
So we've had 3 teams deducted points so far (inc. Leeds) and the punishment for the SAME offence has been -15, -20 and now -17.

Good to see the FL is consistent...

Luton = - 30

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It does seem somewhat inconsistent, I am wondering how long it will be before the FL start to get really hacked off and just start chucking teams out?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
still exeter and aldershot almost guaranted fl football next season.

also isnt there an issue if they do get relegated about going straight to confrence north (as boston did)

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I am not sure what happened with Boston, maybe they were unable to satisfy the financial requirements for the BSP. My worry next season is for Altrincham, they should have been relegated to the BS North but the league wouldn't let them go following the demise of Halifax, they are in serious danger of going completely.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think the BSP rules state that any club relegated from the FL who are in administration at the end of the season have to drop down to BSS or BSN so in effect it is a double relegation.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There must be clubs in League Two who have spent money on new players over the summer with a view to avoiding relegation to the Conference.

They should be entitled to a refund, now that the issue of relegation has been settled without a game being played.

At least it saves fans the trouble of taking any interest in the outcome of matches.
The way Grimsby Town have played in their pre season friendlies might make it less than certain that these 3 clubs are automatically marked for relegation.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If the Football League carry on like this, an honest club could win League 2 with just one point....!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...or by having the lowest negative points total!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely, it might seem a bit mean, but at least the other two clubs (Bournemouth & Rotherham- and I bet they won't be the last) give Luton something to play for.

Don't think the League are doing that much wrong to be honest, they put those rules in place for a reason, ie to stop clubs doing what Leicester did and running up huge debts which they just write off and carry on.

It may be a bit crap if you're an AFCB fan, but why should the rest of the FL clubs sit there and live on tight budgets while other clubs spend beyond their means to try and attract success. Bournemouth have been struggling for years, they even sold their ground to clear debts yet are still in the mire. Out of interest, how come they can't balance the books yet a club like (say) Wycombe, with roughly similar crowds, can?

And by the way, to the top poster on this thread: I'm sure the likes of Macclesfield and Accrington will be delighted to have nothing to play for with ten games to go if it means another season guaranteed in the FL!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I predict that Bournemuff will be deducted 17 points as well otherwise the FL will look foolish in making points deductions without letting anyone know what the criteria is.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Rotherham are also playing in Sheffield next season, with a massive penalty bond to hanging over them if they don't return within 4 years. Sound familiar? They are literally re-living our 90s nightmare but with 2 relegation places into the conference these days, they're practically relegated already - players will leave or not even come, whilst they're financially crippled and homeless.

No other club has experienced the problems we had until now. The Millers really have my deepest sympathies - best ring Steve Gritt immediately. This decision has likely set them back by 10 years if you follow the 'Brighton Model' - that's if they survive of course.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The positive thing about Rotherham is that they are to play at the Don Valley stadium relatively near to Millmoor which was basically not fit for purpose as a football ground. If they win a few matches early on the crowds should increase as they see a chance of avoiding relegation.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
There was someone (possibly the new chairman) from Rotherham on R5 last night, they are hopeful of increasing their crowds by moving to the Don Valley Stadium, the new board have also given an undertaking to get them back to the town in four years time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here