Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ronnie Moore's Relegation Verdict - You'll LOVE This!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
The following is from this morning's Western Mail:

THE Championship relegation fight was blown wide open on the weekend and once again Ninian Park is not a place for the faint-hearted. Just when Cardiff City looked to be on their way to safety, Lennie Lawrence's side have been dragged back into trouble.

The Bluebirds moved seven points clear of the drop zone after their home victory over Brighton on February 12. But with 12 fixtures left to play, that cushion has been whittled down to three.

Back-to-back defeats against Millwall and Sunderland combined with teams around them picking up points has proved an unhappy cocktail for Lawrence. And with a tricky run-in to the 2004-05 campaign, anyone of a nervous disposition ought to keep away from City matches.

They have to travel to fellow relegation candidates Coventry, Plymouth and Gillingham while two of the top three - Ipswich and Wigan - are due at Ninian Park.

Rotherham - 14 points adrift of safety - are down and out which means there are two relegation spots for two unfortunate teams.

And City, who have lost three of their last four league matches, are one of a number of clubs who could end up occupying one of those places. But former Rotherham chief and Bluebirds striker Ronnie Moore reckons his old club will beat the drop. He thinks Gillingham and either Coventry or Brighton will join Rotherham in League One next season.

"There are six or seven clubs who could go down and I think the relegation battle will go down to the wire," he told the Western Mail. "Cardiff have got enough quality players and I think they will be all right. They will survive.

"It's going to be tight and it's going to be difficult but Cardiff will get out of it. Lennie (Lawrence) is a brilliant manager. He knows what he's doing. Cardiff sold Robert Earnshaw and haven't replaced him. That's probably why they're struggling. They don't have a natural goalscorer.

"If you look at the successful sides in the Championship, they've all got two good lads up front. Wigan are top and they've got the best two in the division in Nathan Ellington and Jason Roberts. The quality of defending in the division is very ordinary, even at the top clubs. It's all about the strikers."

Moore - somewhat surprisingly - tips Brighton to fall back even though wins over Sunderland and Millwall have given them a 10-point cushion over third-bottom Gillingham.

"Rotherham are down. I don't think Gillingham will stay up and I think the third relegation spot is between Coventry and Brighton," added Moore, who left Millmoor at the end of January by mutual consent after nearly eight years at the Yorkshire club. "Brighton have won their last two matches but they've fluked it. They've had that little bit of luck.

"When I was at Rotherham I felt Brighton was the worst side we played against this season even though they beat us 1-0.

"As for Coventry, they're not a good side. They've got a lot of old players who've had their day.

"They've brought in a new manager in Micky Adams and he's a good manager. But a manager can only work with what he's got. He's only got ordinary players at Coventry and he doesn't have a natural goalscorer.

"There's not much quality there and it's not Micky's fault. They had a great win at Reading a couple of weeks ago. If they didn't get that then they would be in serious trouble. Micky needs to freshen things up at Coventry but that's difficult when the club hasn't got any money."

According to Moore, who won two promotions at Millmoor and kept the Yorkshire minnows in what is now the Championship for three years, Forest - under new chief Gary Megson - can do "a Houdini" and climb out of the bottom three.

"Mego knows what it's all about and he's got a quality side there. They've under-achieved all season. He's got rid of their two best players (Andy Reid and Michael Dawson) but he's brought in a few work-horses and that will give them a lift. Forest have got games in hand but they need wins, not draws. But they've got the ability to get out of trouble.

"I don't see Leicester as relegation material even though I don't know much about their manager (Craig Levein). They're more than capable of winning their home games and I don't think they will go down.

"Plymouth have won their last two and they badly needed that. If they didn't have that good start to the season they would be down there with Rotherham.

"They're an old side and their manager, Bobby Williamson, has been under pressure the last few weeks because results haven't been great. Don't rule them out of going down.

"Gillingham had a great win on Saturday and Stan Ternent is a good manager. He knows only one way to play and that's to go at the opposition and see if they make mistakes. They've got a work ethic there but I don't think they're good enough to stay up. They can't win three on the trot. But Stan won't give up and their next game at Rotherham is a big one. If Gillingham win that then one or two other managers will have itchy backsides!"

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
how did we FLUKE the sunderland match exaxctly? oh im sure having a vital player sent off for nothing was a bit of luck in our favour....nothing to we us actually out-playing them then?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
That was the guy who's better judgement somehow aborted a managerial move for himself to Ipswich!!! Didn't he get excited and blab before the deal was done?

D'oh:dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Hmm, perhaps his football knowledge (or lack of) is one of the reasons he got the sack.

I'm sure this will give MM and the lads just one more little bit of motivation...

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Well you'll say anything when you're on the sauce won't you?

He's had it in for us ever since his first visit to Withdean. He was heard loudly complaining about the "facilities" whereupon a member of staff told him that "if he didn't like it, he should f*** off back up north".

That and the fact that he's yet to win a game at Withdean.

Good luck at Oldham Moore! You're gonna need it you arrogant pissheaded c*nt.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
What a prick :angry:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Fluked our last two victories? What a f***ing BENNY that man is. The more people say about us going down the more the players will want to stay up.

I'll LOVE it when we survive comfortably this season, it should really SHOVE it up some !!!!!.

:albion:

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
What a knob, I can see Forest getting out of trouble with the money and players they have, but not at the expense of us!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Do I detect a bit of bitterness there Ronnie?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can understand how our results must have really got up the noses of some of our 'relegation rivals' this year. We have a shit ground, the cheapest squad in the league, a lot of 1-0 wins that could have gone the other way - it must be irritating.

But over a season it is no fluke, Ronnie Moore knows that. It's like someone saying to him he 'fluked' keeping Rotherham in this division for so long.

It is an insult to the hard work of the manager and the players concerned, and I'm sure faced with that comparision he would retract his comments. I still say we're not safe yet, though.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The Laughing Bluebird said:

Moore - somewhat surprisingly - tips Brighton to fall back even though wins over Sunderland and Millwall have given them a 10-point cushion over third-bottom Gillingham.

"Rotherham are down. I don't think Gillingham will stay up and I think the third relegation spot is between Coventry and Brighton," added Moore, who left Millmoor at the end of January by mutual consent after nearly eight years at the Yorkshire club. "Brighton have won their last two matches but they've fluked it. They've had that little bit of luck.

"When I was at Rotherham I felt Brighton was the worst side we played against this season even though they beat us 1-0.
:censored:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Isn't he just still sore about getting a rough ride of it at Withdean a few year's back? The bitter old fruit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cheers Ronnie. Could someone send the link to that fine article to Mr McGhee please. He was a respected manager, so that should be just enough to motivate the lads to stay out of trouble.

In fairness, we could just as easily fall apart as anything else - but we really do only need a maximum of 8 points from our 11 remaining games and I just think he's bitter about our victory where we were gash, but still far too good for his doomed outfit.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
how did we FLUKE the sunderland match exactly?

I don't believe you fluked it at all from what from what I've read, but in retrospect it sounds like you were lucky to catch Sunderland on such a bad day. After they beat us on Saturday, Mick McCarthy talked about what a difference a week can make in football. He said his side had turned in their worst performance of the season at Brighton, and then put in one of their best displays of the season against Cardiff seven days later.

You jammy gits!

:lolol: :p :lolol:

larus

At least he didn't say "With all due respect to Brighton.....":lolol:

How can anyone make a judgement based on one game, what a complete pratt. The way that we are playing now, we stand a reasonable chance of being mid-table (11th/12th) by the end of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here