Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ronaldo - greatest individual year ever?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
42 goals, top scorer in Prem League, top scorer in Champs League, players player of the year, football writers player of the year, Prem League winners medal, Champs League winners medal, playing at Euro 2008 (could win it), and almost undoubtedly you can add UEFA and FIFA player of the year awards to that list, especially after last night because that's how they work.

Not too shabby...

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
ronaldo.gif

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gerd Muller 1974 had a good year - German Bundesliga top scorer, winner of Bundesliga with Bayern Munchen, European Cup top scorer, European Cup winner, World Cup.

Were it not for the exceptional Mr Cruyff and Mr Beckenbauer he would have won every other personal award going as well.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Clive Allen scored 40+ goals in one season, that didn't make him the best in the world did it ???

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, but it very nearly all fell apart cos he tried to do a fancy penalty

i recall a certain dwarf used to do a similar trick, myabe he learnt it from him?

anyway, interesting because i think Cech knew he was going to do it (certainly not first time) and sent Ronaldo the wrong way. have to see a replay, but im sure he dropped his left sholder as if to go that way. this little trick has become a liability now.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Dixie Dean.

Hang on, no wait, that was "before the Premiership" and has therefore been struck from history.

I've realised my error almost immediately, so no need to send round the Murdoch reform police round, I won't refer to those years ever again.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There's an excellent article in this month's edition of Red Issue which says that whilst Ronnie is a very good player, Rooney and Tevez work their bollocks off to make loads of space for him.

As was seen last night, he did not cover Essien whenever he went forward, and it could have cost United dear.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Clive Allen scored 40+ goals in one season, that didn't make him the best in the world did it ???

I'm getting old, but didn't Arsenal or somebody buy him at the end of a season off QPR and then sell him to Palarse before he'd even kicked a ball . Bit like that Hibs chappie we had a while ago.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Plus Clive Allen probably scored most of those goals against teams like Coventry, Norwich and Newcastle, and didn't play in Europe.

Whatever you think of Ronaldo as a person, you can't really deny that 42 goals for a player who isn't even an out and out striker, plus Premier League and Champions League winners medals has got to be nailed on for the World and European Footballer of the Year awards.

Let's see how he gets on in Euro 2008 I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here