Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roberto Di Matteo,what next ? Resign now.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Like he'd go anywhere if he was offered the Chelsea job. Whatever shite is spouted here or in the press, they are not making a decision for the next two weeks. So two syllables... bollocks

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
all managers have large-ish egos, they wouldnt be able to do the job if they didnt. so although it would be the best option he wont quit from what is his dream job. i think he might be well placed to keep it too, he's won the Champs League so the pressure of that is gone, and i reckon he mihgt find many of the older player content to leave now they've got that medal.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Total respect to the bloke for blowing apart the myth of the superstar manager. These geezer-players didn't need any kind of a manager apart from to cover the admin side of things, they just sorted it out on the pitch among themselves. They'll be totally f***ed when they need to rebuild of course, but make no mistake, this particular Chelsea side was run by Terry, Lampard and Cole.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
He will be appointed manager very shortly as he should be, but after they have failed in the league again next season RA will sack him before Christmas. That is of course provided Terry and Lampard let him be the manager in name.

Don't disagree that every manager is under huge pressure at Chelsea. I find it quite deplorable that Chelsea don't give managers time to bed in and they end up with the same old horses at the races... Terry, Lamps, Cole, Drogs, etc... I'm not totally supporting Chelsea here!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
...this particular Chelsea side was run by Terry, Lampard and Cole.

people say this, but the inclusion of Cole make the theory lose any credibility.

Total respect to the bloke for blowing apart the myth of the superstar manager. These geezer-players didn't need any kind of a manager apart from to cover the admin side of things, they just sorted it out on the pitch among themselves. They'll be totally f***ed when they need to rebuild of course, but make no mistake, this particular Chelsea side was run by Terry, Lampard and Cole.
Chelsea has been run by its players for YEARS. Ranieri experienced this and was never able to overcome it.

The impression I get of Abramovich is that he tolerates this state of affairs.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Chelsea has been run by its players for YEARS. Ranieri experienced this and was never able to overcome it.

The impression I get of Abramovich is that he tolerates this state of affairs.

if this is the case, maybe other clubs should embrace it given the number of trophies they've won.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

This is true to a certain extent. When you have a club with lots of senior players they generally don't need coaching, they just need the right amount of man management to get the best out of them. Villas Boas went to Chelsea and pissed off all the senior players and that is why they were crap when he was there, Di Matteo could probably see this a million miles off - like the rest of us - so he knew that all he needed to do was to organise them to play like they have done for the last decade and he wouldn't go far wrong.

To say he just did admin is a bit harsh, but Di Matteo basically did Harry Redknapp does at every club he goes to - get a load of older players who don't need coaching and keep them happy/tell them to run around a bit.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is true to a certain extent. When you have a club with lots of senior players they generally don't need coaching, they just need the right amount of man management to get the best out of them. Villas Boas went to Chelsea and pissed off all the senior players and that is why they were crap when he was there, Di Matteo could probably see this a million miles off - like the rest of us - so he knew that all he needed to do was to organise them to play like they have done for the last decade and he wouldn't go far wrong.

To say he just did admin is a bit harsh, but Di Matteo basically did Harry Redknapp does at every club he goes to - get a load of older players who don't need coaching and keep them happy/tell them to run around a bit.

I got the impression that Villas Boas tried to do at Chelsea what Clough tried to do at Leeds all those years ago.

With exactly the same result.

Leeds had old established players who ran the place. Chelsea seem to have old established players who run the place.

History repeating itself again

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I got the feeling that Chelsea already had a manager lined up regardless of whether Di Matteo won the Champions League or not
When the players were interviewed straight after the game none of them were saying that he should definately get the job which I found a bit strange, I sensed that someone new would be taking the helm the following season
Great way to bow out though leaving them on the highest possible pinnacle

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here