Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robert Codner. Hit or Miss

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
Mr Codner had over 300 games for the Albion (I think). I know you have to have something to play over 300 games for the same team. What do you think ??. In your opinion did he have more good games for the Albion than he had bad ?.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The Millwall play-off win and scoring from the halfway line at plymouth are two of many good memories of Codpiece in action. Yes he could be frustrating and had a bit of a 'I am bigger than this club' attitude towards the end of his time here but he gave us something different in attack. For me a hit, though he could have been a bigger hit if he had wanted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Reminded me of Wendy, could be lethal on his day but prone to disappearing. Lightweight skillful midfielders the pair of them. Fecking annoying to watch on bad day when they needed to roll up their sleeves and get stuck in.

Hit more than miss for me though.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
better than that over rated piece of shite, smith

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
what do u think,peter:nono: so overrated,he won player of the season once,christ knows how

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
empire said:
what do u think,peter:nono: so overrated,he won player of the season once,christ knows how

because he gave 110%. ok he was one of the least talented players to wear the stripes butwhat he lacked in ability, he gave so much more in constant effort.
As for Codner, I likrd him but can see how frustrating he was

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I thought he was a classy player. Bearing in mind that I used to attend no more than 10 Goldstone games a season, I may have been very lucky to see him play well, by the sound of things.

Peter Smith played with a big heart and gave his all. We had a few passengers back then and he was an exemplary professional. :clap:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Barrel of Fun said:
Peter Smith played with a big heart and gave his all. We had a few passengers back then and he was an exemplary professional. :clap:

I think in those days there were fewer passengers because the money was much less and there was much more respect for the manager who was on not far short of the star players. There certainly wasnt the same amount of jumped up pricks with diamond earings who seem to think its 'cool' to take £2000 a week from a clun for doung C U N- T all

Peter Smith was IMHO an excellent servant, but Codnor was too, often contributing to important wins.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Rougvie said:
I think in those days there were fewer passengers because the money was much less and there was much more respect for the manager who was on not far short of the star players. There certainly wasnt the same amount of jumped up pricks with diamond earings who seem to think its 'cool' to take £2000 a week from a club for doung C U N- T all

Peter Smith was IMHO an excellent servant, but Codnor was too, often contributing to important wins.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Definite 'Miss' for me. Passing was shocking as was the effort on a few ocassions.

Arguably the games against Millwall were his only good ones.

Came with a big reputation courtesy of Barry Fry, but I'm afraid never fulfilled it for me....

empire said:

That had to be the first instance of vote rigging a Player of the Season award. How else could he have been voted player of the season? His effort and commitment couldn't be questioned but he was DREADFUL. A customer of mine is a Woking fan and after his first couple of games for them I was asked if they had got the right Peter Smith-they were convinced we had sent them somebody who had never played professional football in his life...

As for Codner-never could make up my mind about him when he was playing for us: even harder now but I think a miss for me. A few good games isn't enough.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Codner was a miss for me, too many games where he just drifted in and out, without making a telling impression. The only time he was any good was for the first half dozen games after he came out of prison, probably says more about the regime he was subjected to than training with the Albion...might have turned him into a really good player if he had gone down for a couple of years.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm gonna sit on the fence for this. Can't remember too many great games for him but too far back. There were a few other from that era that I do think stand the test of time - Clive Walker for one.

D

Deleted User X18H

Used to work with the bloke utter cock althought in August 1988 in a lift told me I will sign for your Brighton in September ..............................how right he was, got me players lounge tickets for years, in exchange for videos of his infrequent goals

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here