Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Road kill.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
One of the mysteries of life for me.

Who is responsible for collecting and disposing of the hundreds of animals killed on our roads every day?:(:(

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think private companies do it. I know someone who had a summer job in college scraping up the carcasses of dead animals but not sure if it was for council or not.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In the last 3 weeks I have seen at least 4 dead badgers by the side of the road. Whats got in to them ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Being a keen road cyclist, I can fairly safely say, nobody.
Once riding part of a route from Amberley to Storrington, I was feeling sicker and sicker until I was just about to throw up, the stench was appalling.
Until there in the road was a recently exploded badger that was obviously bulbus as had been dead for a while.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Who saw that program about the guy who collected fresh roadkill and used them to create culinary delights. I cannot remember his name but I did wonder if I could eat any of it ?

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
I did. He liked his badger meat on the "greenish side" from memory. Retired civil servant. Nothing too civil about eating badger in my humble opinion.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I did. He liked his badger meat on the "greenish side" from memory. Retired civil servant. Nothing too civil about eating badger in my humble opinion.

I`ve eaten Beaver a few times though.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...have you never wondered what goes into McDonalds happy meals?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If it was something that was likely to cause a hazard, like a deer, then the Highways department have to sort it out.

Otherwise, the seagulls.

Who saw that program about the guy who collected fresh roadkill and used them to create culinary delights. I cannot remember his name but I did wonder if I could eat any of it ?

Yep, remember that well. He did extol the virtue of badger roadkill, but of course.... that's an accidentally killed, otherwise-protected animal. I don't recall his saying he collected anything that may have been 'aged'.

The problem with road-kill as cuisine, is that there is no telling how long the creature has been dead, and often the item is somewhat 'smeared' into the road!

I have enjoyed, last summer, a pheasant that met its' demise from the car in front of me - and I was able to pull over and pick its' warm body up and bag it. Gutting it later was simple and quick, little more gizzards than your average fish over a pound or so in weight. No plucking - you just cut the claws off, slit the skin at the nape and peel it like a glove, feathers obviously going with the skin. Voila - pheasant into a casserole dish, serve fresh and delicious.

I also have had a fresh-roadkill deer since, it fed me and my dog on venison for weeks.

Wasting meat is terrible - and while I could have popped down the market and picked up nice white-packaged and environmentally-sanitary and vacuum sealed joints instead - using the already deceased animal, meant that one more live one didn't need to be killed for my table.

Ewwww, I can't believe someone eats it. :eek:
I've seen 3 ducklings dead this week, one was in the road as flat as a pancake. :sick:
Poor thing.

Yeah, that's a bit sad. Some creatures don't seem to know how to scarper pronto enough, or even realise what a car is and how it's hurtling towards them can affect their future.

Nah, actually I put it in someone's front garden to gather its' wits again.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
:thumbsup:

Hedgehog spaghetti carbonara (serves four)

500g spaghetti, 30ml olive oil, 250g lean hedgehog, 1 medium onion (chopped), 125ml water, 60ml dry white wine, 4 eggs, 60ml double cream, 100g grated parmesan cheese · chop hedgehog into small chunks

· beat eggs and cream together in a bowl. Add half the parmesan cheese

· put pasta in boiling water

· put onions and hedgehog chunks in pan with olive oil on medium heat until onions are almost clear

· add wine and reduce heat

· drain pasta when cooked, combine it with egg, cream and cheese mix

· add meat, onions and wine without draining fat and mix thoroughly

· garnish with remaining parmesan. Serve immediately

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Are dogs still licenced. If so, surely something different must happen with them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here