Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rivals

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Cause pompey were our main rivals before palace and lets face it southampton were always in the top flight so hardly played pompey for decades.I agree crawley would be a bloody feisty derby if they could grow as a club,sadly i can't see it:(
Palace as a rival is starting to look a bit sour,they had a terrible turnout against us,but they always get crap derby crowds,they had less against charlton and millwall.Maybe in the long term its palace who should be rivals with crawley:)

p.s i know people blab on about palace being a newish rival but lets face it most football rivalries started in the late 60's early 70's and palace certainly did start in the very early 70's.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
CP thing started before Mullert. Fact. Were you at the Jan 1976 CP game at the Goldstone?

I would suggest that the Palace rivalry started with the opening fixture of the 1974 season. There was a big crowd with a fair Palace turnout and quite a bit of trouble before, during and after the game.
The bitterness between the fans escalated from there and the following season saw trouble at Selhurst ( there was no proper segregation of fans on the large terracing that is now the "Sainsbury's "end) and when the return fixture at the Goldstone was played there was a real atmosphere of malice and mutual loathing.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sam's Dad, your post has brought me back memories of standing on the chicken run with my dad in the early 70's with just a thin blue line between our lot and the away fans. I think i remember that Palace match kicking off :( It seems amazing now that there was no segregation. It was good in those days however that one could change one's viewpoint at half-time!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I would suggest that the Palace rivalry started with the opening fixture of the 1974 season. There was a big crowd with a fair Palace turnout and quite a bit of trouble before, during and after the game.
The bitterness between the fans escalated from there and the following season saw trouble at Selhurst ( there was no proper segregation of fans on the large terracing that is now the "Sainsbury's "end) and when the return fixture at the Goldstone was played there was a real atmosphere of malice and mutual loathing.

yeah,the gate was 26k,we got around 10-12k that season,the leatherhead game seemed absolutely packed but was (only) 20k

as you say,the opening game of that season,which traditionally attracted a good turn out whoever you played,but that was a catalyst for a rivalry to be borne,then the 5 games season 76-77 which cemented the rivalry as we know it today,if we hadn't had that 5 games season the rivalry might not have taken off

to be honest also, when it came to "having it" brighton couldn't cope with pompey and palace couldn't with millwall,so perhaps it was destiny

give pompey there due,they took on a rivalry with millwall in the early 80's not many would have

I would have to say Pompey but I do remember a lot of rivalry with Bournemouth in the days of Boyer & McDougall (early 70's ?).

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
....to be honest also, when it came to "having it" brighton couldn't cope with pompey ...

You're right there, Pompey generally had the upper hand. I remember in season '72-'73, Brighton took a bit of a pasting at Fratton, and the game at The Goldstone on Easter Monday saw some fierce fighting in the North Stand as Pompey gradually drove the Albion out. I think we were more of a match for them later in the 70's when we were on the march to the 1st Div. and they were sliding down the leagues.

You're right there, Pompey generally had the upper hand. I remember in season '72-'73, Brighton took a bit of a pasting at Fratton, and the game at The Goldstone on Easter Monday saw some fierce fighting in the North Stand as Pompey gradually drove the Albion out. I think we were more of a match for them later in the 70's when we were on the march to the 1st Div. and they were sliding down the leagues.

Was standing outside fratton park by the pub in 72 when brighton came down the road pompey a bit suprised how quickly brighton ran tbo,the home game had the brighton mob watching from the north west corner.The only time brighton gave it back to pompey was the home game 77 thanks to a timely appearance of the bosun. pompey away that season was a bit of a mare 32,000 no segregation and fossie getting a clump from a brighton fan???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here