Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rivals

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I don't think Swindon are particularly keen on us (at least the Swindon fans I know aren't), but then I don't think we particularly give two hoots about them...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't think Swindon are particularly keen on us (at least the Swindon fans I know aren't), but then I don't think we particularly give two hoots about them...

Well we did beat them in added on time in the playoff semi, and enticed a 'sideways move' out of Greer, so I suppose it's understandable.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

That's right. I have a Swindon town supporting friend and he absolutely hates us. That play-off match was funny, especially the parts shown on TV with Willie Carson being congratulated before the final whistle went. Almost as previous as Barnsley popping the champagne when we pipped them to the play-offs:)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I love characters in football and love the fact that that nutter Di Canio is blasting through League Two with Swindon in his debut managerial season. I doubt they'll hang on to him for long if they go up and have a good start to the season in Division One - West Ham is surely where he's aiming to be.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
To my critics, I apologise. To me for a club formed in 1901 a cup game in 1976 is recent and yes I do know how we got our nickname, but to me historically Portsmouth are our main rivals. Can anyone tell me the history between Brighton and Palace before Mullary.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To my critics, I apologise. To me for a club formed in 1901 a cup game in 1976 is recent and yes I do know how we got our nickname, but to me historically Portsmouth are our main rivals. Can anyone tell me the history between Brighton and Palace before Mullary.

That is the correct answer Portsmouth were our rivals when I first started going on my own to watch Brighton in the 50s. Just to be pedantic its MullEry not as typed. He stoked it up and the Bosun Boys came up with the nickname after Shrimps. Dolphins etc.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
That is the correct answer Portsmouth were our rivals when I first started going on my own to watch Brighton in the 50s. Just to be pedantic its MullEry not as typed. He stoked it up and the Bosun Boys came up with the nickname after Shrimps. Dolphins etc.

Thank you for that, I bow to thee in dictionary corner.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Apart from Palace & Pompey I don't consider anyone true rivals.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Leyton Orient................Bring back attacking opposition players on the pitch.........those were the days!!!!!

TigheRade

Feb 3, 2012
Portsmouth have always been our rivals, Palace is just a fairly recent made up one by people like TigheRade who have only been going 5 minutes.

Sorry I haven't had NSC for ten years. I must be so new to being a Brighton fan. I never went to the Goldstone or the Withdean. I literally just started supporting Brighton when we played Liverpool. Idiot.

I really wish people would get over this 'real fan mentality.' I could easily list the numerous treks I have made to games but I don't feel the need to harp on about how I like Brighton more than you or how long I have supported the club. I simply asked people for an opinion on who they consider to be a rival. Not spout out how they are a better fan than me because they have had a NSC account for ten years.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
St Pauli

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Palarse,Pompey and the Stains but on a personal note I f***ing hate Luton ever since going to that tip of a ground for the JPT semi.Bunch of f***ing gobshites.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It did seem to be there for a year or 2 in the Peter Taylor time.
Was it just because we were in the same division, both with massive gates, just a short journey apart, and both trying to ascend.

Plus it was the 70's when rivalry, meant violence to some.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here