Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Joe Frazier (merged)

macky

Dec 28, 2004
very sad one of my heroes

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
Joe Frazier, who has died of liver cancer at the age of 67, was one of the most significant players in the heavyweight division's most glorious era and one half of the most compelling rivalry in the history of boxing.

Frazier's three fights with Muhammad Ali in the 1970s constituted the sport's greatest ever trilogy and meant both men became inextricably intertwined. For Frazier, who always believed he was Ali's equal in and out of the ring, the fact he would always be defined and overshadowed by the so-called 'Greatest' was the cause of bitterness and chagrin.

Frazier, one of 13 children born to South Carolina sharecroppers, began boxing on his father's farm, where an accident involving the family hog left his arm crooked and therefore permanently cocked to deliver what would become his fabled left hook.

At the age of 15, Frazier left Beaufort and eventually pitched up in Philadelphia, where he forged a reputation as one of the finest amateurs in the United States. He won gold at the 1964 Olympic Games in Tokyo before turning professional the following year.

Frazier reeled off 19 straight wins and, when Ali was stripped of his titles in 1967 for refusing to fight in the Vietnam War, was matched against Buster Mathis for the New York State Athletic Commission's (NYSAC) version of the world heavyweight crown.

Mathis, who had beaten Frazier in the Olympic trials only to miss the Games because of injury, was stopped in 11 rounds. Then, in 1970, Frazier defeated Jimmy Ellis, who had won the World Boxing Association's post-Ali elimination tournament, to unify the division.

The same year as "Smokin' Joe" became undisputed heavyweight champion, Ali had his boxing license reinstated - and in 1971 the two men met for what was billed "The Fight of the Century|".

It was the first time two undefeated fighters had contested the heavyweight championship of the world and consequently the bout became the most hyped in history. Both men were paid an unprecedented $2.5m for their efforts, but the fight was about much more than money.

The build-up brimmed with social symbolism, with the nonconformist Ali painted as a shining light of the anti-establishment movement and the no-frills Frazier put forward as an emblem of President Nixon's pro-War 'Silent Majority'.

In addition, Frazier, who had helped Ali financially during the latter's exile from boxing, was repaid for his kindness with a string of hurtful barbs, including the accusation he was "dumb", "ugly" and, most hurtful of all, an "Uncle Tom".

Frazier, the suffocating brawler to Ali's classical boxer, dropped his hated rival with his signature left hook on the way to winning a points decision after 15 gruelling rounds at New York's Madison Square Garden.

Frazier defended his title only twice in the next 22 months before he lost his title and his unbeaten record to the formidable George Foreman, who floored him six times en route to a second-round stoppage in Kingston, Jamaica.

Frazier's rematch with Ali in 1974 was a pale imitation of the first but the rubber the following year, dubbed the "Thrilla in Manila", eclipsed even their first encounter in terms of brutality.

Frazier, nicknamed "Smokin' Joe", used his devastating left hook with impunity during his professional career, retiring with a 32-4-1 record
After another ill-tempered build-up, during which Ali, who had regained the world title from Foreman 12 months earlier, repeatedly called his opponent a "gorilla", the two men went toe-to-toe for 14 rounds before the challenger's corner threw in the towel. By that time Frazier, who fought much of his career unable to see out of his left eye, was almost blind.

In 1976, Frazier retired after being beaten by Foreman again, hanging up his gloves for a second time in 1981 following an ill-advised, one-fight comeback. His final professional record was 32 wins (27KOs), four defeats and one draw.

Ben Dirs, BBC Sport

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Not sure of the meaning when you said 'unfairly treated by Ali' before the hype of the fights Ali gave everybody stick,but did see a nice picture of them smililng and shaking hands and both of them saying they had the greatest respect for each other,however,very sad that 'Smoking Joe' has passed on to the ring in the sky...R.I.P. Joe

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Certainly was one of the greats. RIP Joe.

Rather have watched you any day over that tosser Clay.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Not sure of the meaning when you said 'unfairly treated by Ali' before the hype of the fights Ali gave everybody stick,but did see a nice picture of them smililng and shaking hands and both of them saying they had the greatest respect for each other,however,very sad that 'Smoking Joe' has passed on to the ring in the sky...R.I.P. Joe
He hated Ali for calling him uncle tom

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
A sad day for boxing, RIP Smokin' Joe.

Last edited:

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
I hate the way the word "legend" is churned out nowadays but sadly we have lost a TRUE legend in smokin Joe

Last edited:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
He hated Ali for calling him uncle tom

Aah!Got you now...,Ali was a brash loudmouth who did what he said he would do...and yes he did call Joe UncleTom..possibly because Joe being such a gentleman that it took Ali a lot of goading, Ali tried everything to get him riled. That was in their younger days but do know that they respected each other. Possibly if Ali can remember in his befuddled brain,he will send or say some form of tribute. R.I.P. Joe!

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
RIP Smokin' Joe. You were a titan in what was a golden era for the heavy weight division. What I wouldnt give to watch the likes of Frazier, Ali & Foreman in their pomp, as opposed to the dross on offer today

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Aah!Got you now...,Ali was a brash loudmouth who did what he said he would do...and yes he did call Joe UncleTom..possibly because Joe being such a gentleman that it took Ali a lot of goading, Ali tried everything to get him riled. That was in their younger days but do know that they respected each other. Possibly if Ali can remember in his befuddled brain,he will send or say some form of tribute. R.I.P. Joe!

there wasa docu about them recently believe me he still hated him the funny thing is joe had more reason to hate the white man than ali and uncle tom is the worse insult one black man can throw at another i wish i could remeber the name of the doc very good watching but joe

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
there wasa docu about them recently believe me he still hated him the funny thing is joe had more reason to hate the white man than ali and uncle tom is the worse insult one black man can throw at another i wish i could remeber the name of the doc very good watching but joe
when we were kings ?

macky

Dec 28, 2004
fought with one eye for most of his career

he ahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NANLS0tn14Mlso

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here