Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Chris Copsey

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Absolutely gutted, was only listening to him on Bright this morning and saying how good it was he was back on air.

Always positive about the Albion too.

RIP

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Radio Today.. with RCS: Sussex jock Chris Copsey dies
Sussex jock Chris Copsey dies
Tributes are being paid to Sussex-based presenter Chris Copsey who died unexpectedly earlier today.

Chris was a radio legend in the county, spending most of his career at Southern Sound (later Southern FM) before it changed to Heart and he joined a network of smaller local stations.

He has been working for Media Sound Holdings for the last 18 months, most recently on the breakfast show broadcast across the Splash, Bright, Arrow and Sovereign stations. He passed away suddenly, having presented his breakfast show as normal this morning (Tuesday).

Confirming the news on the Digital Spy forums, Pete McIntosh, Head Of Music at Media Sound Holdings said: "He really was a legend on the airwaves in Sussex, joining Southern Sound at launch back in 1983 and remained with the station in its various guises for over 20 years. He joined the Media Sound stations just over 18 months ago, initially presenting mid-mornings, and recently moving back to breakfast - the slot in which he made his name with Southern back in the 80s. He was a consummate professional, always paying attention to the slightest of details, always offering a kind and supportive word to his colleagues, and much loved by his listeners."

He added: "It's been a sad day and I know he will be greatly missed by many friends and colleagues. He was kind, witty, talented, and a devoted family man."

A tribute is already online on the Splash, Bright, Arrow and Sovereign websites, with formal online books of condolence due to open from 6am on Wednesday morning. Many people in the industry who knew 'Coppo' have already been leaving their tributes online.

Former colleague Nicky Keig-Shevlin wrote: "Coppo was a radio legend and it was an honour to co-host with him on the breakfast show at Southern FM for many, many years. More than that...he was a true gent, a brilliant friend - loyal, kind and funny. His wife and kids were his life and I cannot begin to imagine their pain. I send them my love and want them to know how loved Chris was. He will be so missed."

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Radio Today.. with RCS: Sussex jock Chris Copsey dies
Sussex jock Chris Copsey dies
Tributes are being paid to Sussex-based presenter Chris Copsey who died unexpectedly earlier today.

Chris was a radio legend in the county, spending most of his career at Southern Sound (later Southern FM) before it changed to Heart and he joined a network of smaller local stations.

He has been working for Media Sound Holdings for the last 18 months, most recently on the breakfast show broadcast across the Splash, Bright, Arrow and Sovereign stations. He passed away suddenly, having presented his breakfast show as normal this morning (Tuesday).

Confirming the news on the Digital Spy forums, Pete McIntosh, Head Of Music at Media Sound Holdings said: "He really was a legend on the airwaves in Sussex, joining Southern Sound at launch back in 1983 and remained with the station in its various guises for over 20 years. He joined the Media Sound stations just over 18 months ago, initially presenting mid-mornings, and recently moving back to breakfast - the slot in which he made his name with Southern back in the 80s. He was a consummate professional, always paying attention to the slightest of details, always offering a kind and supportive word to his colleagues, and much loved by his listeners."

He added: "It's been a sad day and I know he will be greatly missed by many friends and colleagues. He was kind, witty, talented, and a devoted family man."

A tribute is already online on the Splash, Bright, Arrow and Sovereign websites, with formal online books of condolence due to open from 6am on Wednesday morning. Many people in the industry who knew 'Coppo' have already been leaving their tributes online.

Former colleague Nicky Keig-Shevlin wrote: "Coppo was a radio legend and it was an honour to co-host with him on the breakfast show at Southern FM for many, many years. More than that...he was a true gent, a brilliant friend - loyal, kind and funny. His wife and kids were his life and I cannot begin to imagine their pain. I send them my love and want them to know how loved Chris was. He will be so missed."

This really is sad news indeed, NKS you couldn't put it any more into perspective. I'm sure many people on this board have grown up with his breakfast shows RIP

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Please go and leave your condolences and tributes via the link on the original post, if anyone in the radio industry deserved them, then it's Coppo.

I grew up listening to him as one of the voices of Southern FM. Having worked with him for the last 18 months has been an honour and I can tell you now you could not wish to meet a nicer man. Always made me laugh, was always there with advice and completely doted on his family which is something I will never forget. My thoughts are with them at this time.

A Sussex radio legend and someone I feel proud to have been able call a friend as well as a colleague. He will be missed, but never forgotten.

RIP Coppo

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
RAP fella, so very sad, and sincere condolences to his wife and children.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I too grew up listening to Chris through his early years at Southern Sound, and recently having moved to Burgess Hill re discovered him on Bright, I was only listening to him yesterday morning so when Paul Williams "woke me up" this morn I my GF said Coppo must be sick then, only for us to hear 5 Min's later on the news that he passed away, I lost my Father last year "unexpectedly" so I know what a huge shock this will be to family, friends and colleagues, I can only repeat what Dan Gasser said which was, this guy was a true legend with no enemies at all in what is at times a cut throat two faced industry.

RIP Legend.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Terrible news... RIP to a classic DJ's voice.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
:down:
I worked with Chris at Southern in the 90s and at a few events since. He was a lovely guy and this is terribly sad news. He'd had a hard time recently but seemed to be 'Bouncing Back' :)
Thoughts to his family and friends.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
In his 40's. Heart Attack I guess. RIP.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Year 6, a trip to france. I brought a cheap radio from a market. Tuned in to Southern FM and it was all I listened to from 7 till 10 every single night. Such a shame he's died, Southern FM brought me in to music really. RIP.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Bloody hell. Sad news. I too grew up listening to Copsey on the radio.
Thoughts are with all those close. RIP Chris.

Zeff

Jun 1, 2009
Southwick
I just got used to listening to him again on Bright FM. The man only had good things to say about the Albion, and you could tell he was absoultely devoted to his family.

Very Sad News indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here