Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Right to Vote

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Just seen this on the Guardian site. Views?

UK prisoners should get vote, European court rules

Staff and agencies
Thursday October 6, 2005

A ruling from the European court of human rights today gave British prisoners the right to vote.
The Strasbourg's court's decision means that legal changes will need to be made to give prisoners the option to cast their vote in future national and regional elections.

The challenge - contested by the British government - was mounted by John Hirst while he was serving a life sentence in Rye Hill prison, Warwickshire, for manslaughter.

Now released and living in Hull, 54-year old Mr Hirst said his fight had been about breaking the link between crime and the right to take part in the democratic process.
"The human rights court has agreed with me that the government's position is wrong - it doesn't matter how heinous the crime, everyone is entitled to have the basic human right to vote."

After his application to vote from prison was turned down, Mr Hirst took his case to the high court and lost.

Then a seven-judge chamber of the human rights court backed him and awarded him £8,000 in costs and expenses.

The government appealed to a 17-judge "grand chamber" of the Strasbourg court, but it also backed Mr Hirst today.

The court ruled his human rights had been breached because the 1983 Representation of the People Act does not allow convicts to take part in parliamentary and local elections.

The European Convention on Human Rights, to which Britain is a signatory, guarantees the "right to free elections" - and that applies equally to prisoners, said the judges.

Mr Hirst pleaded guilty on February 11 1980 to a charge of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

He was sentenced to "discretionary life imprisonment" and the tariff part of his term expired on June 25 1994. He was released in November last year.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Here was me thinking that prison was supposed to be a punishment and entailed a loss of privileges.

Just a thought - some prisons are in pretty isolated areas. If there was one where the prison population made up a significant proportion of an electoral seat, someone could unashmedly stand on a pro-prisoner ticket and get elected.

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Silent Bob said:
Here was me thinking that prison was supposed to be a punishment and entailed a loss of privileges.

Just a thought - some prisons are in pretty isolated areas. If there was one where the prison population made up a significant proportion of an electoral seat, someone could unashmedly stand on a pro-prisoner ticket and get elected.

It would depend if they were voting for the area that the prison was in, or the area that they were living in when arrested. I would think it would be the area that they were living in.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Surely one of the main purposes of prison is punishment, part of which is the denial of basic civil liberties like the right to vote?

This is a crazy decision, the sort of verdict that gives the EU a bad name.

Dandyman

In London village.
It seems to me that if someone commits a crime against society then it is fair that some of the rights of belonging to that society should be withheld from them for a period of time (i.e. while you are serving time). Once released, having paid their penalty, then those rights can be restored to them.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's the EU being PC as usual, you go to prison to be punished not to be rehabilitated whatever the PC brigade might think.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
More votes for Labour.

They have let Brussells rule us after all.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
RTFA. Some people will stop at nothing to promote anti-EU views.

It's not the EU, it's the European Court of Human Rights (as the article quite clearly states). This court was set up after the 1950 Convention of Human Rights; it pre-dates the EU and has no connection with it.

An ex of mine, a barrister, was involved in a lot of human rights cases. She always said that just because someone's a prisoner it doesn't mean that he has no human rights. On other respects she was completely barking, but I thought (and still think) she was right on this.

Who was it said that you can judge a society on how it treats its prisoners?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Gwylan said:

Someone who works for the Court of Human Rights?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wardywonderland said:
Someone who works for the Court of Human Rights?
:lolol:

(actually, it was Dostoevsky - just looked it up)

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gwylan said:

Neat soundbite - but does it actually stack up?

I was reading something in the Spectator the other week, which was headlined something fairly provocative like 'Is torture always wrong'?

Obviously you see that and think 'what a reactionary tosser', but by the end of it he'd certainly made me think.

The basic argument was that if it's deemed OK in these exceptional circumstances to shoot to kill suspected suicide bombers (which according to the govt, it is) then why is 'torturing' worse?

All security services have always had huge success in unearthing key pieces of information about future attacks and fellow terrorists via this method.

If it can save lives of innocent people, can it ever be justified?

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
the number of votes should correspond to your iq. the only fair way.
bad news for bush tho.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
It should depend on the SEVERITY of the crime.

Murderers doing life should not be allowed

Paedophiles should be allowed only on odd numbered years

Rapists should be allowed to vote only at weekends...

Burglars should be allowed to vote only on full moons

:jester:
Makes as much sense as those clowns in the European Court do at the moment.

Yes, give Huntley and the Yorkshire Ripper the vote. Pah. :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here