Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

richie the bear barker

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Great bloke ...Top man..Took my daughter to see the albion in the Gillingham years...Richie signed her programme and then got the other players to come over and sign too..one very happy 8 year old.
she still has it even though as a teenager she now has no interest in football

Last edited:

Now THAT'S a fan's commitment to the Albion cause.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
The Auditor said:
Great bloke ...Top man..Took my daughter in the Gillingham years...

:p .......and that was after she had worked her way through the Youth team!

B.Z. and Wardy were hero's and legends. Ritchie Barker though? Decent enough bloke who scored a few goals in his second season after a forgetable first. Not enough to fall into the catagory of hero and legend though IMO.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:

Hey, hang on a minute. There's no way that Richie Barker was a legend .... or even approaching "legend" status. Lets keep the term for those who deserve it.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
goldstone said:
Hey, hang on a minute. There's no way that Richie Barker was a legend .... or even approaching "legend" status. Lets keep the term for those who deserve it.

He's a legend in his own way. Cult Hero if you prefer, wish we'd kept him.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
I'll be watching Mansfield tomorrow, against Orient - battle of the not-so-legendary ex-Albion strikers, I can hardly wait... OK, that's a lie, I'd rather be at Ipswich, but f*** it - it'll be better than shopping with The Boss and her mother in Lincoln...

Wonder if The Bear's still got really lovely hair, or if Lee Steele will be sober? Or what Borient's legendary away support will muster now they're doing "well"?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
After Richie had gone to Macclesfiled he came to watch us away at Mansfield and stood with the Albion faithful. He is a top man. I would say hero, and legend from a particularly dark period for the Albion.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Didn't Richie Barker once dress up in a giant bear costume for a photo-shoot in the Argus? Or is this some sort of warped fantasy of mine?

I think his finest performance for us was against Rotherham in 98. They were above us in the table and we thrashed them 4-1 with Barker getting 2. One of the few Pissfield highlights. Scored our last "home" goal at the Pissfield as well.

Didn't he return north to look after his sick father? If I remember rightly he turned up at our match against Macclesfield the following season (think it was Macclesfield) and stood on the terraces with the Albion faithful.

"I've got Macclesfield and Mansfield mixed up. He played for Macclesfield but he saw us play Mansfield. Easy mistake to make."

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
I think his finest performance for us was against Rotherham in 98. They were above us in the table and we thrashed them 4-1 with Barker getting 2.

I liked the away goals against Posh. Especially the one involving Minton and Thomas and finished off by Richie with a superb header. I think he said that was his favourite goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here