Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rhubarb

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I've been given 6 sticks fresh from the allotment, and I dont think Ive ever cooked with the stuff before.

Anyone got any great recipes for anything involving rhubard, it doesnt have to a crumble (which is the only thing I can think of)

2010_04_rhubarb.jpg

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
I've been given 6 sticks fresh from the allotment, and I dont think Ive ever cooked with the stuff before.

Anyone got any great recipes for anything involving rhubard, it doesnt have to a crumble (which is the only thing I can think of)

2010_04_rhubarb.jpg

The mother in law always cooks some sort of lamb and rhubarb meal which is pretty tasy i must say!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It cooks very well in the microwave, though you may have to ditch some of the liquid. You could make a FOOL.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Strange how some things will poison you, but the same plant is normal food in other circumstances. I learned that potatoes are poisonous for us raw, but not when cooked. ???

Potato fruit is very poisonous - same family as deadly nightshade IIRC.

(Don't eat the rhubarb leaves Mendoza)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
cut it up put it on a tray sprinkle with caster sugar and in the oven cooks in its own juice
very nice with vanilla ice cream.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Chop it into 2" lengths, throw in a pan with a little sugar and cook it until the fruit "slumps". Put it in a bowl to cool. Fantastic scooped onto ice cream or piled into the middle of a hot bowl of custard.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Rhubarb sorbet.

Boil 250ml of water with 250g caster sugar and the juice of one small lemon, until the sugar is dissolved. Leave aside to cool.

In another pan, boil the chopped rhubarb (about 750g-1kg) for one minute. Cool, then purée the rhubarb in a blender.

Add the cooled sugar syrup to the pulped rhubarb, and place in a sealed plastic container and put in the freezer. Stir every once every hour or so to stop any ice crystals forming. After 4-6 hours, you have your rhubarb sorbet.

:thumbsup:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Rhubard and Custard! (and I dont mean the cartoon - although I used to enjoy that as well!)

Attachments

• roobarb2.jpg
    roobarb2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 51
  • roobarb6.jpg
    roobarb6.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 51

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here