Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rewiring

BBH

Jul 28, 2004
Tooting Bec
Has anyone ever had any rewiring done?? We have had a quote for just under £4.5K This is for a fairly big 2 bed flat in Tooting Bec, is an old victorian house & we are top flat of 3. Total rewire & some new sockets put in, plus plastering afterwards where they go over the wall chasing.

Does anyone know if this is standard as seems a lot?? we are getting other quotes, but would rather stay with someone properly registered (I know there will be a premium for this)

Thanks for any help people! ;)

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Sounds about right. I'm used to work in that trade and about 4 years ago it was in the region of £5k for a 3bed house. Flats are more difficult as you don't have as much access,although being a top floor victorian place it should be easier (presuming you have loft space, and floorboards).

Always make sure they are NICEIC registered.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I had quotes up to £25K to re-wire my two-bed terrace house, put central heating in and re-plaster it. So, breaking it down, I would also say £4.5K is about right for the leccy.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
eastlondonseagull said:
I had quotes up to £25K to re-wire my two-bed terrace house, put central heating in and re-plaster it. So, breaking it down, I would also say £4.5K is about right for the leccy.

Although in the end I got my cousin to do the lot for £7K!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
BBH said:
Has anyone ever had any rewiring done?? We have had a quote for just under £4.5K This is for a fairly big 2 bed flat in Tooting Bec, is an old victorian house & we are top flat of 3. Total rewire & some new sockets put in, plus plastering afterwards where they go over the wall chasing.

Does anyone know if this is standard as seems a lot?? we are getting other quotes, but would rather stay with someone properly registered (I know there will be a premium for this)

Thanks for any help people! ;)

Sounds a bit on the steep side to me but not much over - I had similar work done in Balham about 10 years ago and was charged less than half that (but no new sockets put in). And I know someone in Uxbridge who's just been charged 2 and a half grand to have a bungalow rewired.

I'd continue to get quotes if I were you. When we had our house done, we picked a builder who charged half the amount of the first quote..and did a top job too.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Find a guy in an EDF Energy van (the old Seeboard) and ask him to give you a quote for some private work. He'll be properly registered, you'll get it done to the same standard as if you paid EDF for his services and it will be a fraction of the price.
Same applies for British Gas engineers for heating.

BBH

Jul 28, 2004
Tooting Bec
Nice one - Thanks people, have a few more people booked in for quotes coming & will look into the EDF. Have lots of loft space, floorboards & all rooms are pretty big, so access should be OK. We shall see
Cheers!

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
as you say make sure they have all qualifications needed. if they have not got certificate 239 part p, then they cannot legalally test their work and say all i s ok. this is a requirement for all electricians working on domestic dwellings. and also why i dont do any work in houses myself. even though im a sparky any work i do in my own house would not be legally covered. not sure of prices down there but it does sound a little steep. but to be fair things are as cheap as chips up here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here