Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Response to Homophobic abuse.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
Isnt humourous...isnt banter.
Is hatred.
Making an assumption here...i kind of guess you are straight and never been on the receiving end of homophobia...?
Hatred? Its a bloody joke for Gods sake! Yes I'm straight & can also see the difference between terrace humour & "hatred".

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Or we could just ignore it and treat it with the kind of contempt such outdated crap deserves?

Its just the normal shit that is dished out at all games there is no malice ,rightly or wrongly Brighton is considered the Gay capital of England and we get stick for it.
It could be worse look at Celtic and Rangers.

thoreveraviking

Jul 29, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
Can I make an early suggestion for the fancy dress Promotion Party at Barnsley .... we ALL have to go in one of YMCA outfits. That would be SUPERB!!

This is a really funny thread , I do hope our lot don't start that homophobic crap on Satdi. However would advise against wearing YMCA outfits in Barnsley, you would fit in too well. :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are we seriously saying a couple of hundred of opposition fans singing "we can see you holding hands" in a humourous way is somehow worth bothering the police with? What happened to the famous British sense of humour? Opposition fans used to throw darts at each other in old days & now we can't cope with a few jibes?
Hatred? Its a bloody joke for Gods sake! Yes I'm straight & can also see the difference between terrace humour & "hatred".
It's not that simple. Many who chant anti homosexual comments are doing so in gest, but many actually aren't. And the reality is that some people are offended by it. For example, Jim Davidson's best mates might be black (yeah right), and when he throws bananas he might think it's funny and everyone knows he doesn't really think black people are monkeys etc etc, but it does cause offence.

Just because you only see humour in these chants, doesn't mean there's not more to them, and doesn't mean that others aren't offended.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Isnt humourous...isnt banter.
Is hatred.
Making an assumption here...i kind of guess you are straight and never been on the receiving end of homophobia...?

Hatred lol.....oh do grow up,please.....they are not aiming it at you, they are aiming it at 18,000 people of which a tiny percenage are gay...No im not gay and I think its quite funny....If you are offended by it you are a very insecure person imho......We call Gills fans pikeys but they dont all live on camp sites, only 95% of them.

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011
Hatred lol.....oh do grow up,please.....they are not aiming it at you, they are aiming it at 18,000 people of which a tiny percenage are gay...No im not gay and I think its quite funny....If you are offended by it you are a very insecure person imho......We call Gills fans pikeys but they dont all live on camp sites, only 95% of them.
No...not insecure at all-and thats why i am able to call it hatred and await the backlash from those of you who are and think the 'banter' is okay..funny how times change...it was only 'banter' in the eighties when i remember bananas were regularly thrown alongside monkey chants,'******'and 'coon'...i guess even you might agree that is rightly perceived as hatred now-just racial,rather than sexual orientation.

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011
And assumptions,assumptions...what makes you think im queer?

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
No...not insecure at all-and thats why i am able to call it hatred and await the backlash from those of you who are and think the 'banter' is okay..funny how times change...it was only 'banter' in the eighties when i remember bananas were regularly thrown alongside monkey chants,'******'and 'coon'...i guess even you might agree that is rightly perceived as hatred now-just racial,rather than sexual orientation.

I'm sorry but you are very over sensitive. How on earth is singing the "we can see you holding hands" song anything like making monkey noises & throwing bananas at a black player? Its not aimed at an individual. Its aimed at thousands of Brighton fans whatever our sexual orientation to get a reaction. You really need to toughen up a bit.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
this is ridiculous, the gay songs are sung as part of football banter, nothing more. I have no problem with it what so ever (i'm married, to a woman, with two kids) I'm well up for the YMCA come back ,it's all a laugh :)

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011
I'm sorry but you are very over sensitive. How on earth is singing the "we can see you holding hands" song anything like making monkey noises & throwing bananas at a black player? Its not aimed at an individual. Its aimed at thousands of Brighton fans whatever our sexual orientation to get a reaction. You really need to toughen up a bit.
No...is not about having to toughen up.it is not the point about having an understanding of the difference between individual targetting and'terrace banter'.i guess it is telling that much of the reaction is aimed at me having a problem..how about thinking about why the FA has been forced into making a stand?because of the idea that this is 'harmless fun' and those of us that take offense have the problem there are no 'out' gay footballers.
It is not harmless fun,i do have a sense of humour-and a wish to move from the dark ages into a time when we could maybe be at the forefront of a movement that meant all were of equal worth in a football stadium...
NSC....first they came for the disabled...
Then they came for the queers....

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Terrace banter, that's all it is.
Do 2,500 CPFC fans really think the 20,000 Brighton fans are homosexual?
And away from football, are those CPFC fans any more or less homophobic than Brighton fans?
Does the wind-up, make it more likely that a hate crime against a gay person will occur at a later date?
I believe no to all 3.

It just anything to try and wind up, all false, and they know it.

Racism, aimed at say a black player, is totally different. Is a hate crime, against someone who obviously is coloured. Illegal, and rightly so.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
And assumptions,assumptions...what makes you think im queer?

whatever you are your far to touchy,,,personally ive got better things to worry about than some nasty boys calling me names, when its not even directed at me in the first place....like what time I can get back to the pub or weather my horses have won or not ffs,,,,,grow up!

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
You do realise saying the word "coloured" is actually offensive?
Is there anything that can't be considered offensive by someone these days? If we keep on like this you won't be even able to wear a cross around your neck if your a Christian! Oh, hang on....

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011
whatever you are your far to touchy,,,personally ive got better things to worry about than some nasty boys calling me names, when its not even directed at me in the first place....like what time I can get back to the pub or weather my horses have won or not ffs,,,,,grow up!

'Whatever i am'...wow!....think i rest my case...lol....

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011
Dont rest your case,,,,you carry on trying to change the world....There are already tons of do gooding, namby pamby people running this country. Thats why the place is a joke.

Bless..sorry you are so threatened by change straight man!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here