Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reply to a letter written to Charles Kennedy

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Her'es the reply to a letter I wrote to Charles Kennedy commenting on the opposition of Lewes DC to the stadium. Would appreciate thoughts on it as I am thinking of replying.
Also it is interesting that the letter could be read as Charles Kennedy's office stating that Prescott is the problem!

Thank you for your email to Charles Kennedy MP regarding the proposed Falmer Stadium. Mr Kennedy has asked me to reply on his behalf and also to apologies for the delay in replying.

Whilst Mr Kennedy understands your concerns, as you know, the Liberal Democrats are a federal party and firmly committed to a fairer distribution of power throughout the United Kingdom. We therefore set a national policy framework in accordance with our democratic and federal structure, and local parties have the freedom to act as they see fit within that framework. It is not the job of the Leader of the Party to interfere in the running of local parties and local councils and it would be inappropriate for Mr Kennedy to comment on decisions taken by locally elected representatives.

However, in order to be of some assistance I have spoken to Mr Baker about this matter who has asked me to point out the following:

Firstly, some people are unhappy about the amount of money being spent by local councils on the planning enquiry, but money is being spent by those councils in favour of the inquiry, including Brighton and Hove, and those against including Lewes District. Mr Baker has no role in deciding whether funds should be committed, as this is purely a matter for the local councils concerned.

Secondly, Mr Baker agrees that the delaying tactics which have been employed should be deplored but they ae not, in his view, tactics by the local council but those of the Deputy Prime Minister, who has steadfastly refused to come down on one side of the fence or another rfor months now. It seems clear that the objective of John Prescott is to delay taking a decision until after the next general election, with the express intention of protecting the three seats held by Labour MP’s in Brighton and Hove.

In short therefore it seems that the matter has not been well handled but, in Mr Baker’s view, the fault lies directly with the Deputy Prime Minister and not with the local councils, either Lewes or Brighton and Hove.

I hope this is helpful in clarifying matters for you, but if you require further information Mr Baker has asked that you contact him directly.

Yours sincerely

Sian Norris-Copson
Leader’s Aide

towbarball

Jul 27, 2004
Typical Liberal Democrat whishy washy non comittal "cracks in the
pavement type politics" which eventually lost them control of
Worthing Borough Council and in the next election will expose them nationally as the polictical bunch of amateurs that they are.
Politics will eventually come down to left or facist right.:flameboun

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Think I would ask him to answer the question you asked not the one he wanted you to ask. If he is saying it is not party policy to tell people at local level what to do, why have a party? why not all be independant? Ask him what the parties view is on the stadium an the right for people to watch their team, safe in the knowledge that they will not go out of existance.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Complete Lib Dem nonsense. They won't take responsibility for all the small-minded crackpots that run local councils around the country in their name.
As for Baker, he is lying. The delaying tactics are down to his little pals in Falmer.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Typical Lib Dumb fiddle faddle.

We all know that it isn't Prescott who has caused the delays-we all know it is the f***ing NIMBYs that Norm the Knob is so intent on supporting.

Tosser:tosser:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
They may not tell their MPs what to do at local level but that doesn't explain why LDC are opposing the stadium despite the fact that more LDC residents support it than don't. You should ask them why they have a policy of not representing the views of their constituents.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
The Liberal Dems always have and always will be a complete waste of time.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Typical Lib Dem view ( and how they can have the word Democratic in their name is beyond me ) - put ill thought out principles ahead of the wishes of communities.

towbarball

Jul 27, 2004
Take this thread as written evidence why fellow posters should not vote Liberal Democrat at the next General Election.:nono:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If we get a yes to Falmer, I will still vote for Norman Baker. As he is the best M.P. the Lewes constituency has ever had.

Harry Lime

Oct 25, 2004
Burgess Hill
Perhaps you could send a copy of the letter to Prescott and ther other ministers in his department as there is nothing more likely to wind him up than the Lib Dems.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
towbarball said:
Politics will eventually come down to left or facist right.:flameboun

Lib Dem = Wishy Washy
Tory = facist right
New Labour = facisit right

Who the hell do you vote for?

Well, it's a variation on the answer I received from Sian Norris-Copson, anyway. She had written to me that the party does not believe in centralised cotrol and doesn't like to tell their MPs what to do. I wrote back saying I was looking forward to reading in the newspapers that her party was abolishing its Whips' Office. Needless to say, I recevied no reply, and nor did I ever read about the abolition of their Whips' Office. Perhaps, realising that her argument was nonsense, she has changed it to say that it is about not telling local parties what to do. It's still nonsense, of course, but there you go.

I had pointed out that because of Baker and Bellotti (lest we forget), the LibDems had a poor reputation in Sussex, one of their main campaigning grounds. Bellotti had done so much to almost destroy the club; and now, the community's attempts to mend the damage was being undermined by Baker. Does the party not stress the role of communities, I asked? That, of course, was a question to which I received no answer.

The party cannot be seen to order Baker to change his opposition; however, the more letters they receive, the more keenly they will feel the criticism, and appreciate the damage that these renegade idiots have had on the party's chances in the next elections. Then, perhaps, behind-the-scenes pressure might be put on Baker to at least tone down his opposition. I doubt it, though.

Still, the Falmer issue is a classic one where the LibDems could show their support for community action and the will of the people to be recognised. Point that out - presumably, they could offer support to Brighton LibDems to vocally support Falmer. Without clear support for the desires of the people of Brighton & Hove, the LibDems will show themselves to e just like the others - i.e. not giving a toss about communities or the people.

So keep pressing them - and everybody, write to them. How many more letters before poor Sian gets sick of having to defend that prick, Baker, I wonder?

Last edited:

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
I don't quite understand Baker's logic (if, indeed, it is his) in thinking that a decision BEFORE the general election will be bad for Brighton & Hove labour MPs. I think we've all rehearsed the arguments for setting up a pro-Albion party in B&H, and realised that this would only split the Labour vote. Our only realistic political support for a stadium comes from labour - NOT to vote labour vecause of a NO decision in (say) April would hardly assist our position. And in any case, the decision would only be NO to Falmer - presumably it would have to be YES to one of the alternatives?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rangdo said:
They may not tell their MPs what to do at local level but that doesn't explain why LDC are opposing the stadium despite the fact that more LDC residents support it than don't. You should ask them why they have a policy of not representing the views of their constituents.

This was the reply I got from my local councillor who came round the area with Norman Baker on a 'meet the people' exercise.

Although finance is not my area of Cabinet responsibility, I will certainly check the accuracy of your point.

On the issue itself, as one of those who follows the club's fortunes, I ally myself firmly with the wise words of Norman Baker MP which have been widely reported. In summary, he and I do not believe the club has been best advised by aligning itself so closely with the city council of Brighton & Hove and its current and former leaders, nor do we believe that the site selection process was sufficiently transparent in the initial stages. That is why, in our opinion, the Deputy PM has re-opened the inquiry. As to the timing of that, Norman Baker has already been proved to be correct, despite the public pronouncements of others only a few weeks ago that it would be concluded by Christmas; it is a political device to delay a decision until after the anticipated date of the next General Election, and people may well speculate as to the reasons for that. Norman has also said that he will abide by the final decision, and if possible assist with the "healing process" whichever side "wins" - if I am in a position so to do, I shall too.

With all good wishes,

David Rogers, Lewes District councillor for Newhaven Denton & Meeching.

Both he and Norman sat there smugly saying they wished us all the best for the stadium
:angry:

Politicians say the 'right' things without meaning a word of them.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Healing process?
Norman Baker keeps on about this.
There won't be one if we don't get Falmer.
Isn't it wonderful that your caring/sharing LibDem Lewes councillors have posted their home addresses on the council website.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In this initial post on this thread, Kennedy has effectively taken the advisement of Norman Baker, and this appears to be the national LibDem policy on the issue.

What is doesn't point out is that Norman Baker is WRONG to blame Prescott for further delays. Baker either doesn't know about planning procedure, or he is deliberately trying to score cheap points by making statements which, when challenged, would crumble to dust. Either way, he is making himself look a fool. Also, they have some neck saying this when they are messing about with the Inquiry itself, and were demanding a start date of March.

He would blame the Lewes Councillors for delaying tactics, but to say that he holds no influence or sway over them implies that the Lewes LibDem MP and the Lewes LibDem-controlled council are not on speaking terms.

As for the point about the lack of transparency in the site-choosing process, this may or may not have been the case, but now they have an opportunity to discuss it at the Inquiry, their point is irrelevant. In essence, they have had their bluff called by the insistence laid down by the planning inspector that they justify the need for a different site.

Lewes DC have NEVER been transparent about where they want the Albion to play - they just sit in their ivory towers and shoot their mouths off about 'not at Falmer'. They are completely oblivious to the fact that a staduim at Falmer would help their local economy. They just don't get it.

Now they have to justify their bullshit. They could well choose Sheepcote Valley as their main argument, despite the fact it would make things WORSE for the Falmer residents than a Falmer Stadium.

David Rogers' reply there is so full of holes, you could market it as a Swiss cheese. But then the holes have been filled with horsehit, so best not.

I wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall when they are called in to justify spending £134,000 on what was effectively a babbling advertisement/propaganda campaign on behalf of 20-odd NIMBYs.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
mona said:
Healing process?
Norman Baker keeps on about this.
There won't be one if we don't get Falmer.
Isn't it wonderful that your caring/sharing LibDem Lewes councillors have posted their home addresses on the council website.

There won't be a healing process if we DO get Falmer.

Why should there be? They are, in one statement, saying 'don't build the stadium here', despite the real threat ot the club's closure if they succeed, then on other hand saying 'we love the club...'

f*** 'em. Bunch of two-faced hypocrites. Do they think we're stupid and that we're going to fall for that shit?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here