Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reply from Reading

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I have just received an e-mail reply from the Reading Official site to my letter to their chairman asking him how he can be two faced in his approach for Steve Coppell, when he had said after the Pardew affair that he would not approach a manager under contract with another club.

The reply completely avoided my question and stated that we followed the correct channels and asked Dick Knight to speak to Coppell first.

From the way it is worded I get the feeling that Mr Madejksi does not appreciate being reminded of his statement.

Any more of you like to ask through the same route?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
One law for them and One law for us,at the end of the day,money talks,and it wouldnt look right or proper if this all come to light would it.

After all what have the FA ever done for us since They sold The Goldstone from under our feet?
I still stand by my word that the FA would have loved us to go down to The Conference and slowly disappear into obscurity,and go bust.

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
Madejski said:

"If we decide we want a manager who was employed elsewhere then I would contact their chairman and ask to speak to their manager.

"If he said no, then that would be the end of it."

Yeah, I bet he's really losing sleep over being reminded of that statement.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Prattypuss, I beleive your own fans agree this was his statement.

Factfinder
Hob Nob Anyone? Regular

Posted: 07 Oct 2003 19:26 Post subject: This is what the delay is all about. FACT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to distance themselves from a West Ham style approach, Reading are insisting that Coppell does not resign in order to join us.

Naturally this gives Dick Knight a stronger hand. He is able to squeeze a bigger package (he thinks) out of our board so that John Madejski can hold his head up at the end of this. But as you know JM is no push-over in a negotiation.

This is what JM said to The BBC remember?............

Reading chairman John Madejski insists he will never be tempted to "poach" a new manager as he searches for Alan Pardew's replacement.

Madejski is still fuming over Pardew's decision to walk out on his Reading contract and join First Division promotion rivals West Ham.

Steve Coppell is gagging to join us, he's got the package he wanted, he's even been given assurances about "rebalancing" the squad. Whatever that might mean. The future is assured guys.

Last edited by Factfinder on 07 Oct 2003 20:06, edited 1 time in total

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
fosters headband said:
Prattypuss, I beleive your own fans agree this was his statement.

Steve Coppell is gagging to join us, he's got the package he wanted, he's even been given assurances about "rebalancing" the squad. Whatever that might mean. The future is assured guys.

Last edited by Factfinder on 07 Oct 2003 20:06, edited 1 time in total

Coppell gagging to join them? what does that mean.

Anyway Coppell has already admitted he'd rather stay here."If it wasn't for the fact that Brighton have no long term Stadium, Reading would not be an issue. I'm so comfortable here and have something special going on here"

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Why the f***ing delay - get it over with. All this pissing around until Thursday does'nt help us at all. If SC is going to go, then for f***'s sake go, and let DK start looking at getting someone else in.

I don't want him to leave but at the moment I feel like we are on the end of the hangman's noose when our necks havent quite snapped yet and we are slowly suffocating - long and drawn out.

Come on SC let us know !!!!!!!!

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
Yes, and the bit I posted was his next line after the poaching one!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/reading/3122442.stm

Reading chairman John Madejski insists he will never be tempted to "poach" a new manager as he searches for Alan Pardew's replacement. Madejski is still fuming over Pardew's decision to walk out on his Reading contract and join First Division promotion rivals West Ham. But Madejski told the BBC Sport website he is not tempted to adopt a dog eat dog approach to filling Pardew's shoes.

"I do not believe in poaching people from their contract," Madejski said.

He added: "If we decide we want a manager who was employed elsewhere then I would contact their chairman and ask to speak to their manager.

If you are given permission, by definition it's not poaching!

If Knight had said "no", we wouldn't be here discussing this today. Reading would have moved on, as they did with Taylor/Hull.

So you have to ask yourself, why did Knight say "yes"?

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
He's done exactly what he said he would do. So I fail to see any hypocrisy.

If Knight had said no, that would have been the end of it.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Was it the end when the two faced Madejksi said no to West Ham, think about it.
Dick Knight retains his credability does Madejski?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Under the terms of Coppell's contract, he has to advise SC of any approaches from other clubs. It is not a case of saying Yes or No, it is to do with honouring the standard terms of a managers contract

eiregull

Jul 15, 2003
ireland
You reading fans really are slow, can you remember what happens when a club asks to speak to your manager and you say no? now girls concentrate, thats right said manager gets pissed off/resigns/joins other club anyway. And it all gets messy and protracted. Now if you two bit hypocritical chairman had kept his mouth shut 'i wont poach honest, theres a clause blah blah blah blah' then you would just be w**nkers instead of hypocritical unprincipled w**nkers.

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
Calm down now, take a deep breath and read it again.

eiregull

Jul 15, 2003
ireland
platypuss you are so thick its unbelievable when reading said no to west shame was that the end of it??

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
West Ham ignored a "no" but still induced Pardew to resign from his contract. It's hardly Madejski's fault that West Ham blithely carried on regardless is it!

However, Mr Madejski has said that he would respect a "no" answer. As he did with Hull.

eiregull

Jul 15, 2003
ireland
my god listen please
-hull didnt say no peter taylor said no thanks ive a job to do here.
-so even if mr mad respected a no, im not sure coppell would of respected knight for refusing him the chance to speak to you, knight acted in the only honourable way to an approach that to all intensive puposes is an attempt to poach our under contract manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here