Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remember this Reading

Albion Rob

You may be the big boys at the moment, nicking our sweets at every opportunity, but soon enough we'll be a proper football club again.

We'll get Falmer and compete with you on a level playing field once again.

And when that happens and you slip into obscurity once again because you are not in the top half of whatever division you are in (although, let's face it, it won't be the Prem) and all the people that watch you as a second team, and be honest it is a hell of a lot in a place like Reading, can't be bothered with spending £15 on watching a dire game and would rather watch the scores come in on Sky, we'll be the ones on the up.

At the moment you are doing the equivalent of picking on the small kid at school. What you haven't bargained for is that this kid is going to become a super-middleweight boxer. Not a great power, not a heavyweight, I concede, but far bigger and stronger than your street brawler outfit.

And every time we beat you I will love it. And we will never let you forget what a **** your chairman is. And every time we come to your ground and show you what a real football atmosphere is like I will laugh and my fellow Seagulls will rightly mock you. Enjoy the last couple of years before Falmer is built, Reading, these are your salad days.

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
That was almost a Kevin Keegan style outburst. I can see the spit flying.

Top stuff

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Strange analogy Rob. Just a couple of points to pick in that argument:

and all the people that watch you as a second team, and be honest it is a hell of a lot in a place like Reading,

And you're from Brighton? Come on, you can't use that analogy on us when 3/4 of your place is supporters of London clubs and Man Utd etc...

Granted, we're hardly a model club, but that's like Luke Chadwick telling Iain Dowie that he's an ugly bastard.

Enjoy the last couple of years before Falmer is built, Reading, these are your salad days.

We're halfway there, nowhere near the potential of this club yet and you know it. You are the same.

"SMALL TOWN NEAR SWINDON...YOUR JUST A SMALL TOWN NEAR SWINDON"

Richie!! You know that I'll pick a hole in someone from Brighton telling Reading that their place is small when it is infact bigger than both Swindon and Brighton.

But...

We'll get Falmer and compete with you on a level playing field once again.

Yes. And that is the spirit. You deserve to be on a level playing field, but trying to knock down clubs that are temporarily above you in terms of Divisions is hardly likely to work. We are on par with each other, so this quote:

Not a great power, not a heavyweight, I concede, but far bigger and stronger than your street brawler outfit.

...is bollocks. Because Brighton and Reading will end up the same. And (again) you know it. Most clubs from places of similar size to us two clubs can do it too. Its important to realise that other clubs will be up with us too, and they're currently in the lower leagues but working their way up slowly.

A better verdict is to say that the Brighton and Reading will become a medium Premiership player a la Middlesbrough, Blackburn, Leicester, and other similarly-sized clubs that are seemingly playing at their full potential. Ours and yours is the same. I find it damn offensive to see people overlooking the potential of others while bragging about their own. It doesn't hold.

In the meantime, I admire the rallying cry. But I would vent your anger towards Archer, Bellotti, and the NIMBYs rather than Reading. Any club without a manager could have done this to you (and bear in mind that Coppell hasn't even bloody accepted it yet!)

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Mostly well reasoned Wilts but Reading have done this kind of thing to us four times and now it has become PERSONAL.

Be afraid

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
munster monch said:
Reading have done this kind of thing to us four times and now it has become PERSONAL.

And I think that is the real issue here. That we have a crux of people in charge of the club that seem to look at Brighton as a bundle of assets with a couple of gems, and then to strip them of those assets to make us stronger.

Granted, that's not good acumen at all. But you won't find most people apart from Madejski and Pardew with any vendetta against BHA.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
F off Wilts you are far too reasonable, why don't you come up with a really wanky argument (along the lines of a Reading FG ?) so that we can all abuse and mock you :D

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Icy Gull said:
F off Wilts you are far too reasonable, why don't you come up with a really wanky argument (along the lines of a Reading FG ?) so that we can all abuse and mock you :D

I shall go and get Sir Dodger Royal from the HNA board. He is FG and E Block Ernie rolled into one. ;)

He doesn't support the club, only posts when we're doing badly, and continually slags off the players and the management akin to FG.

At least you never had anyone like the West Ham fans on your board telling you how shit you are and that you are going down and into bankruptcy (!). The problem is that us Reading fans are too nice :kiss:

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
Icy Gull said:
:lolol:

Good thread. We are a bigger club than Reading and will rise above them once Falmer is built. We are potentially a bottom half Prem/ top Div1 team, Reading have just got lucky. No fans either!:salute:

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Personally I've got no problems with Reading

Brighton supporters whinge too much, if we were in the same position as Reading (division, ground, home support, rich chairman) we would do the same and worse (ie "poaching" other players/managers)

I can remember going to Elm Park when they struggled to get 6k home fans......good luck to them I say, our time will come

I would rather see a southern based team doing well then someone like Wigan, thats for sure

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wilts said:
And I think that is the real issue here. That we have a crux of people in charge of the club that seem to look at Brighton as a bundle of assets with a couple of gems, and then to strip them of those assets to make us stronger.

Granted, that's not good acumen at all. But you won't find most people apart from Madejski and Pardew with any vendetta against BHA.

Great, so only the guy who owns and runs the club then, with the greatest influence over the entire annuall budget, and manager stealing.

Thank god for that, for a minute I thought you were saying the only person at Reading who has it in for us is someone really important, like the kit man, or the lady behind the counter in the club shop.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
edna krabappel said:
Great, so only the guy who owns and runs the club then, with the greatest influence over the entire annuall budget, and manager stealing.

Thank god for that, for a minute I thought you were saying the only person at Reading who has it in for us is someone really important, like the kit man, or the lady behind the counter in the club shop.

Leave our Ron Grant alone... the kit man is a legend :clap2:

And one of the girls in the club shop is mammarily gifted so there is equal sentiment there.

I think Mr Mad (as a non-football fan) probably doesn't quite realise that we've had shenanigans with Brighton before.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Brave effort Wilts.Good fighting spirit.Does the population of R**ding know you are fighting the might of our weapons of mass destruction single handed?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wilts said:

I think Mr Mad (as a non-football fan) probably doesn't quite realise that we've had shenanigans with Brighton before.

Oh great ,our club is being raped by a chairman who doesn't even like football.

Last edited:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Brixtaan said:
Brave effort Wilts.Good fighting spirit.Does the population of R**ding know you are fighting the might of our weapons of mass destruction single handed?

God I don't want to get any other Reading fans on here to help the plight.

An unfortunately high proportion of them are w:censored:ers that wouldn't say boo to a goose and couldn't argue a decent debate if it slapped 'em in the face with a wet haddock and said "come on then 'small penis', show us what you've got". ;)

Dez

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
Wilts, why don't you say something like "you're just a small club with a shit ground and you're all gay and you deserve it" - then we could get really angry. All these reasonable responses are diluted the intended rage of this thread!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here