Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

remember pearl and dean ads, at the cinema?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Aren't they still going? They certainly appear at some cinemas i go to, just not the fat-off ones.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What was the name of the frankly erotically-filmed hotdog ads that they used to show at the ABC in the late 70s, early 80s? "Big West" perhaps? Those ads must have been filmed 2-3 millimetres away from the apparently-vast, glistening, moist sausage itself, making the whole thing look disturbingly both phallic AND scatological, while some bloke with a voice which made Barry White sound like Jimmy Somerville exhorted you to buy one - "GO ON - IT'S BIG" etc.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Man of Harveys said:
What was the name of the frankly erotically-filmed hotdog ads that they used to show at the ABC in the late 70s, early 80s? "Big West" perhaps? Those ads must have been filmed 2-3 millimetres away from the apparently-vast, glistening, moist sausage itself, making the whole thing look disturbingly both phallic AND scatological, while some bloke with a voice which made Barry White sound like Jimmy Somerville exhorted you to buy one - "GO ON - IT'S BIG" etc.

Westlers.

They just made me feel hungry.

:(

The Odeon in Beckenham used to be next to the Empire of India restaurant. The smell of the kitchen used to waft (great word) into the cinema..never failed to tempt me to have a curry even if I had eaten before turining up at the flicks.

:lol:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
s.stubbs said:
That takes Me right back,
who remembers Chico the rain maker and Champion the wonder horse,
Also tins of peanuts,nearly cut my f***ing finger off with a tin of peanuts.
Happy,happy days indeed.:clap2:

With Uncle Sandy and what was the name of the dog? Rebel?

sussexfatboy

Jan 4, 2005
Hastings
"Westlers Hotdogs.
"In the foyer, NOW!"

Also what happened to cinema adverts for local firms, i.e "Daltons Carpets, just 1 minute from this cinema!" ?

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
s.stubbs said:
yes ,it was rebel:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Cue scene at the end of every episode.

Uncle Sandy and Ricky discussing how thay had saved the frail old dear from selling her homestead to the bully boys in the black cowboy hats. All smiles and back slapping..the dog barks..

'Oh and we couldna' done it without you Reb!'

Then the horse pokes its head into the shack through an open window and nays..

Ricky and US turned round laughing ..'Not too mention you Champ..cue end titles.

CHAMPION THE WONDER HORSE..CHAAAAAMPION THE WOOOOOONDER HORSE!

Last edited:

champion-book1.jpg
"like a streak o'lightening flashing cross the sky"

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
Generically produced adverts for, say, an Indian Restaurant (professionally produced, in about 1980), with the address of the local one to the cinema tagged (badly) on to the end with a really bad, crackily and noticably quieter voice over reading the address.

Oh yeah, and adverts which appear on telly all the time, but because it's in the cinema, people laugh as if it's the BEST advert! Why do they do that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here