Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Relocating to the US....any advice?

sussexbornandbred

Dec 27, 2009
Having to move to California (san francisco specifically) with work and wondered if there was any advice out there on:

- good websites for finding a house share (gumtree equivalent other than craigslist)
- where to start looking for a football team to play for
- best place to watch live football on tv (already subscribe to seagulls player but would still like to enjoy the odd premiership/la liga/champions league game)
- anything else? hopefully i'll figure it all out but would appreciate advice all the same

Also, just out of interest, are any other brighton fans in the san francisco area?

ryeseagull

Feb 26, 2009
United States
I used to live in Reno, which by American standards is close to the Bay Area.

San Francisco is very cosmopolitan. And bloody expensive.

I would ask your company to help with relocation. A simple e-mail to some of the local employees with likely answer many of your questions.

sussexbornandbred

Dec 27, 2009
Cheers, the company have been ok about helping with relocation and I have been speaking to a couple of colleagues based out there and whilst they've been good at suggesting areas to live in etc, none of them have really been able to tell me a good place to actually find rooms/apartments. having lived/moved around in london there are a load of websites and initial internet searches havent proved all that successful.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Fox soccer and Fox soccer plus shows most of the stuff Sky shows and you get some stuff live here that isn’t shown in the UK

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer will give you the TV schedules

I use this expats forum for Brits in the States – it has answers for most things.

British Expats - USA

Cant really say much about California as I’m based in NYC but there are quite a few on here that should be able to help.

When you go to the DMV to get your driving license take a book – or two. It takes ages.

Get your Social Security card as soon as poss – everything revolves around it.

Enjoy the States, it’s a great place !!

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Fox soccer and Fox soccer plus shows most of the stuff Sky shows and you get some stuff live here that isn’t shown in the UK

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer will give you the TV schedules

I use this expats forum for Brits in the States – it has answers for most things.

British Expats - USA

Cant really say much about California as I’m based in NYC but there are quite a few on here that should be able to help.

When you go to the DMV to get your driving license take a book – or two. It takes ages.

Get your Social Security card as soon as poss – everything revolves around it.

Enjoy the States, it’s a great place !!

As per normal MR Lyndhurst nails everything on the head.

Social Security #, is paramount.

DMV in California is, to say the least painful. Try booking an appointment through the DMV website, they give you a time and you get to walk past the ridiculously long lines to get stuff dealt with.

Study a bit for the written part of the driving test. If i remember correctly there are about 90 questions, of which you are only allowed 4 or 5 wrong.

Do not bank with "Bank of America" they have hidden fees coming out of the wazoo.

SF is 'kin expensive and relatively small properties, if possible look outside of the main city (not Oakland) north or south, near the beach cities is always a winner, still pricey but nicer by far.

FSC and FSC+ are gospel. Although ESPN are showing a lot more games, if you can handle Ian Dark and Steve McMananam as your commentators, and this season I have a new free football channel called BEIN, which shows a lot more european games, plus the never before seen Europa League games.

I am in Southern California, Huntington Beach area, which is about as far from SF as Brighton is from Newcastle, but if there is anything I can do to help out, let me know, even if it just questions when you get here.

Good luck, the West Coast is a great place to live, especially Northern California as there are more seasons, green stuff and historical things to enjoy up there.

Down here is all palm trees, sunshine and breasts....

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Sounds terrible.

oh, the humanity!

Someone has to live here, I am taking one for the team here and doing my bit for mankind.

Also, for the OP, I forgot to mention this place. It is the new line of shops that Tesco has launched, which has changed the face of getting English supplies in the States. They have Salad Creams, Pickled Onions, Branston, Cadburys, and a whole bunch of other good English stuff that was not available before a few years ago.

Here are the ones in Northern California.

http://www.freshandeasy.com/stores/

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Someone has to live here, I am taking one for the team here and doing my bit for mankind.

and i thank you for it. maybe we should arrange a rota of helpers to come over and offer relief from your burden?

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
and i thank you for it. maybe we should arrange a rota of helpers to come over and offer relief from your burden?

Great idea Sir Beor.

1st round of helpers should be female, aged 22 - 25 years, mute, firm bodied with little or no plastic additions, with their own bike and board quivers.

Please send pictures of bikes and boards.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

And if a Mexican offers you a car at really good value, make sure you start the engine from cold, and if you are in the desert make sure the spare tyre isn't a flat!

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Not in Pullman, Washington it doesn't!

San Francisco might just be a different story.

Must be a Washington thing, you have to check to see which days of the week the DMV is open up here. [MENTION=15237]sussexbornandbred[/MENTION] the theory test which I took was a lot like ours. Just remember the information on what to do when you see a school bus with its lights are flashing etc.

Be prepared to be asked if you are Australian!

They all seem to think I am from New Zealand. To which I normally reply "No, I am from a small island in Europe that speaks English". This normally gets a confused look.

If you're in the Bay Area the San Jose Earthquakes are 40 minutes away on CalTrain if you need a football fix. Don't expect too much from the stadium it's very Withdean esque. Although some work was happening to the ground although I am not sure if it has been done or is happening now.

As soon as you have the time go to Yosemite. It will truly blow your mind, so beautiful.

SF is a great city. I am sure you will have a great time. Baseball season is almost over so if you have a chance get to a Giant's game.

As for finding a place to live I would use Craigslist (although everything won't be legit) but it will give you a good sense of what you should be paying in certain areas of the city and Bay Area. I would phone real estate agents asking if they do lettings or can recommend someone who lets property. The really dodgy part of SF is called "The Tenderloin". Avoid.

Mrs Van Winkle is from the Bay Area if you have any questions I am sure she will be happy to answer them.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Over here it's all palm trees, sunshine and burkhas.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
They all seem to think I am from New Zealand. To which I normally reply "No, I am from a small island in Europe that speaks English". This normally gets a confused look.

A couple of years ago I went to a speed-dating event. One of the women asked me where my accent was from. I said to her "well, where do you think?". She thought for quite a while but couldn't come up with a guess. I said "I'll give you a clue - I am from Europe and I speak English". After another pregnant pause, she finally offers: "Germany?"

:facepalm: :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here