• Yes - Religion is an easy excuse for violence

Votes: 36 39.1%
  • Abstaining - It's not for ME to say

Votes: 23 25.0%

• Total voters

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
People say religion is the world's most prolific serial killer because of the violence that is causes. Many disputes erupt because of clashes of faith.

Would the world be a better place without religion? Should it be outlawed?

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
let alone all the false hope it brings

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
As a relapsed catholic I feel that it's okay to worship in your own way (within reason) just don't try and feed your beliefs to me.

Frankly I regard religion as nothing more than folk lore (and that's being polite) and am fed up with the hypocracy that seems to pervade all religions and it's practioners.

I don't believe in any god but I do believe in me as I know I'm real and not some fantasy character.

Lush

Mods' Pet
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
People say religion is the world's most prolific serial killer because of the violence that is causes. Many disputes erupt because of clashes of faith.

Would the world be a better place without religion? Should it be outlawed?

True. But for many people, the fear that they'll go to Hell when they die is the only thing that stops them murdering, robbing, stealing and generally doing EXACTLY WHAT THEY LIKE. Religion is the opiate of the masses.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Religion

Lush said:
True. But for many people, the fear that they'll go to Hell when they die is the only thing that stops them murdering, robbing, stealing and generally doing EXACTLY WHAT THEY LIKE. Religion is the opiate of the masses.

Really? So why do people always call Jews, thieves. Surely if they are really Jewish then they wouldn't steal?

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
Re: Re: Re: Religion

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Really? So why do people always call Jews, thieves. Surely if they are really Jewish then they wouldn't steal?

maybe stealing doesnt send you to hell, just maybe you get stuck in a traffic jam on the road to heaven?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Many deeply offensive and 'evil' acts have been perpetrated in the name of religions - but it is the individuals who have either done these things or stirred up others to do them who should be judged.

Does the existence of individual 'evil' Germans/Austrians in the past mean that they are all evil now ??

What man has chosen to do in the name of religion in the past is nothing to do with the value or importance of our own relationship with God.

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
getting bummed in prision is why people don't murder and steal not cos they think god will get them, he's far too busy.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
chez said:
You cant ban peoples beliefs just coz it makes a few retards want to kill people. I can never understand it anyway, what differance does it make to you what the hell I believe in??

Would it matter to you if a family member was killed by an extremist?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
theres too many sheep ot there willing to do what ever theyre told . . . .unfortunately some of the sheppards are evil bastards . . . .whether they be middle eastern extremists or American TV freaks taking widows for every penny they've got.

religion is the root of most (not all) war, greed related sufference etc . . . . .ridicule as Duncan says . . .is the best way forward :lolol:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Raphael Meade said:
religion is sometimes disgraceful i find.

just think if there was no religion.. would violence EVEN exist?

Yes, violence would still exist. People will always find an excuse to try and dominate other people. Unfortunately.

Somewhere in Catch 22, there is an interesting debate between a couple of atheists.

Is the god you don't believe in a vengeful and jealous god? Or a loving and forgiving god?

Why?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Raphael Meade said:
so in what order would people rate the evilest religions?

opinions people, come on...

Wll, the Jews were at fault for the 2nd World War weren't they?

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
Curious Orange said:
Yes, violence would still exist. People will always find an excuse to try and dominate other people. Unfortunately.

true true.

maybe would should invent something new to replace religion and we can make the rules so when all the extremists nutbars get onboard we can give them GOOD orders and make them nice, loving, caring human beings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here