Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Registering a new car

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Simple question:

Can a new car be registered in joint names?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no

though im no expert, just seems illogical - how would you know who was responsible for the vehicle?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No. Insured, yes, registered, no.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
I believe that would depend on the terms of the insurance. I know direct line are giving my son a years no claims discount as he has been a named driver on his brothers insurance. I believe that normally the named person does not get a no claims discount. However i am no expert on this matter

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I guess thats official then.

So if there are two people on a joint insurance, do they both accrue 'no claims' discounts?

Depends on the insurer.
Tesco tell me every time they write to me that The Grub is accruing no claims discount for being named on my insurance - even though she also has her own insurance with them for her own car!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
OK, silly and somewhat hypothetical question relating to insurance, can you transfer no claims on a motorbike insurance policy to a car?

Surely if this were possible you could insure a cheapo moped, keep it in the shed and never use it, then say two years later get a car insurance policy with a couple of years no-claims already accrued...this would make it far cheaper and easier for young people to get insurance on their first car, rather than being held to ransom or going on parents policies as seems often to be the case. It could also be used as a way to retain no-claims if you had a period of time without a car, say for example because you were working abroad for an extended period.

Clever idea, or pie in the sky?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
OK, silly and somewhat hypothetical question relating to insurance, can you transfer no claims on a motorbike insurance policy to a car?

Surely if this were possible you could insure a cheapo moped, keep it in the shed and never use it, then say two years later get a car insurance policy with a couple of years no-claims already accrued...this would make it far cheaper and easier for young people to get insurance on their first car, rather than being held to ransom or going on parents policies as seems often to be the case. It could also be used as a way to retain no-claims if you had a period of time without a car, say for example because you were working abroad for an extended period.

I have the feeling I tried this a few years ago, first NCB from bike to car, then NCB from car to bike. Neither was acceptable.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have the feeling I tried this a few years ago, first NCB from bike to car, then NCB from car to bike. Neither was acceptable.

Cheers, typical of the insurance industry to close a potential loop-hole that might bring things in our favour as customers.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Unc, the bike to car to bike etc can be done IF the insurance company wants to. When I finally got my car licencse Directline fell over themselves to to offer me 5 years no claims, probably cos my wife was already with them.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Some will but quite often its not worth it,
Bought a second car at the beginning of the year so had to start at zero NCB
Average quotes were £300-£350 without letting me used my 9 years Bike NCB.

But Tesco's would, the premium allowing for the 9 years NCB was £430 :facepalm:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here