Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Registered and logged in to view?

Should we try 'registered and logged in' to view NSC?

• Yes - give it a go.

Votes: 45 47.9%
  • No - free access for all.

Votes: 49 52.1%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Having, like most of you I'm sure, spent some time getting the damned "We're busy, piss off for a bit and try again" message this lunchtime, I wonder if we should go 'registered and logged in' to view NSC to see if it improves things.

Means only those who have bothered to join etc are using most of the bandwidth rather than 'lurkers'.

Might not make any difference, but might be worth a go.

Views?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I voted no cos I think it will discourage new posters, though if they're new Kaney's that may be a good thing.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
sounds a great idea to me :)

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
If it saves bandwitdh I'm all for it.

People are more likely to register as well, and then they'll be more likely to post :)

No, season ticket holders should get priority.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
London Irish said:
No, season ticket holders should get priority.
but they hardly ever post , no AMS get priority :jester:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Is there any way you can restrict the number of guests that can view at any time? Then you only need to have a maximum of, say, 10 lurkers at a time. That said, my guess is that a lot of the lurkers are actually registered users who haven't signed on for whatever reason

Absolutely NOT !!!

Apart from the fact that many lurkers eventually become members, it is really one of the most frustrating of internet experiences to discover other football message boards that apply this rule.

Football is a community of fans, first and foremost. Let's keep it that way and not turn it into two communities - those who are welcome and those who are not.

I feel VERY strongly about this.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
We can give it a trial basis of a couple of weeks then have another poll asking weather it should stay in tact

How about keeping certain parts of the board open to the lurkers like an all things BHAFC and away fans forum for banterand stuff about upcoming and after games and keep the main board closed and only open for registered users.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm with LB on this one.

I often visit other clubs message boards just for a read and have been frustrated to find several that you need to register for before you can access them.

I've ended up registering on several in order to post, but those that I needed to register to read never get any input from me as I just ignore them and move on.

What about the people who can read NSC at work, but cannot register or log in from work, because that is contrary to their employer's policies on internet use?

That was certainly the case at my former employer. I was a day-time lurker and an evening registered user.

What is now proposed would have prevented me reading stuff except in the evenings and at the weekends.

I guess we'll have to wait until this evening before this group of people can vote or join the discussion.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Getting the "We're busy, piss off for a bit and try again" message is part of NSC and something we just have to take on the chin.

It should be an open forum, I can only see this causing more problems. People will just sign up and not post so I don't think it would really improve the situation that much.

Maybe Spiros' ideas about limiting the number of guests is the best way forward?

*Logs in on other accounts to fix the poll* :lolol:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The other point is that when you register aren't you sent a link you have to click on to activate your account?

That link doesn't reach many email addresses due to the spam filters in place, and some servers never let the email actually reach the recipient's email box so looking in the spam folder doesn't help.

I have experience of this on several sites, sometimes I just give up as my favoured username is no longer accessible as I've just registered it with an email address that won't accept the activation message.

I vote to keep things as they are.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
i think it would be a pity to make it 'members only'. Unless we have got a real problem with bandwidth, either cost or availability, I don't think it would be good to restrict access.

I've been online most of this morning, and haven't had any 'go aways' yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here