Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Record attendances for all clubs

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Realistically you have to separate pre-cage and pre-seating attendances from the post-Taylor all-seater-stadia attendance records

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
recall aldershot just shy of 12,000 when we have played them but i suppose they had to reform also wimbledon had a crowd of 45k against leeds at selhurst for a cup game???

If I remember correctly , roughly two thirds of that crowd were Albion (Easter bank holiday weekend in 75/76 season)

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm sure I read recently that, in line with inflation, from the 1991 price, a ticket to stand on The Kop at Anfield should cost about £8 today.

If it's was a fiver or a tenner to watch a league match today the stadiums would be rammed.

Until about 1990 my bus fare was more than my ticket to get in!!!! now my train fare is £14 and a ticket is about £28...thats why most (but not BHA) gates are falling.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Even matchday prices in the Conference are a bit steep averaging about £15. Luton , Grimsby and Stockport even have the audacity to charge £18.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Surprised to see Roker squeeze in 75k

rokerpark.jpg

I mean, it's big, but not that big.

Wasn't there a thread on pictures of massive terraces?

The Fulwell end (covered end in the pic) was considered to be one of the biggest terrace banks in the country .

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think the Burden Park disaster in 1946 would have more to do with it; as it put a limit on attendances.

What I always find so horrific about that one are that the game was restarted with bodies lying dead down the side of the pitch. In fact, I think they moved the touchline in a few yards, so that bodies were "off" the pitch when the game restarted.

I know in 1946 people had become a bit hardenened to death and dead bodies having lived through WWII, but even so.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
These attendances were not as accurately recorded as they are now. By that I mean that there were possibly MORE people than recorded, they would just pile them in. Also it wasnt unknown back then for people to watch both teams eg one week City the next Utd.

Really was a different world back then.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
These attendances were not as accurately recorded as they are now. By that I mean that there were possibly MORE people than recorded, they would just pile them in. Also it wasnt unknown back then for people to watch both teams eg one week City the next Utd.

For pretty much all the attendances there would have been more people than the official number, going in two at once and kids getting lifted over was rife.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I once spoke to an old time player, who played for Brentford in and around the war years, he calmly told me how two turnstiles 'were for the Chairman' ......

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Another thing that I noticed was how 60 of those games where for FA cup games.
Thats changed now.

Went with a bunch of mates (as a neutral) to watch Arsenal v Cardiff in a third round replay 1969 I believe. We went for the atmosphere of a big game and to experience Highbury. 52,681 and 2-0 to the Gooners

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
No attendance records broken between 1979 (Palace) and 1995 (Accrington)! Southampton are the only side since 1979 who were in the top 4 leagues at the time to have broken their record outside of a cup competition. It's taken me a good 5 minutes to phrase that last sentence and it still barely makes sense :lolol:

Mr Terrific

Aug 17, 2012
It's Doncasters attendance that I find impressive. I can't imagine many clubs would attract 37k to a 3rd division game these days.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No attendance records broken between 1979 (Palace) and 1995 (Accrington)! Southampton are the only side since 1979 who were in the top 4 leagues at the time to have broken their record outside of a cup competition. It's taken me a good 5 minutes to phrase that last sentence and it still barely makes sense :lolol:
That Accrington game was played at Blackburn anyway! The Stevenage one against Birmingham as listed as having been played at St Andrews, and where is Crawley's entry? I believe they have just broken their record - last week.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
What I always find so horrific about that one are that the game was restarted with bodies lying dead down the side of the pitch. In fact, I think they moved the touchline in a few yards, so that bodies were "off" the pitch when the game restarted.

I know in 1946 people had become a bit hardenened to death and dead bodies having lived through WWII, but even so.

Yes, I believe that to be the case. I just read an interview with Sir Stanley Matthews who said that the lines of the pitch were changed via sawdust and that the bodies were just on the side of the pitch.

Realistically you have to separate pre-cage and pre-seating attendances from the post-Taylor all-seater-stadia attendance records

You also have to take into account that many clubs including the Albion now report tickets sold and not people attending.

I find it a little sad that you can't compare attendance records like these to modern day attendances due to the different method of reporting these days. Why can't clubs report both tickets sold and people attending?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I don't agree that attendances are necessarily accurately recorded these days. A lot of clubs nowadays, it seems, are not actually reporting an "attendance". Instead they are reporting tickets sold. Albion have changed to reporting tickets sold from this season. It makes it impossible to compare "attendances" with a previous era, when the true attendance was reported.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here