Recommend a whiskey

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
JD is ok.
Jim Beam is ok.
Both a bit meh though in honesty.

Had a nice woody/barky whiskey in the Robin Hood once but can't remember for the life of me what it was called.

Any recommendations? Note - this is to be drunk neat or on ice not wasted on a mixer.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If you like Bourbon's or American Whiskeys head to The Great Eastern in trafalgar street and if they still have it treat yourself to measure of Bookers, it's pricey but very nice indeed. I also recommend Platte valley Corn Whiskey if you want something a little less heavy. As for malts my mate recommends Macallan.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
JD is ok.
Jim Beam is ok.

Had a nice woody/barky whiskey in the Robin Hood once but can't remember for the life of me what it was called.

Any recommendations? Note - this is to be drunk neat or on ice not wasted on a mixer.

JD and Jim Beam are Bourbon's, not whiskey (in the strictest sense of the word). Plus they're shit (IMO).

Get to Waitrose (or most supermarkets actually), pop a decent bottle of Jura, Glenmorangie or Talisker in your basket, pay the nice man, take it home, pour a nice large one (ice AT MOST - NO MIXER), and ENJOY!!!!!

JD is ok.
Jim Beam is ok.

JD is not ok.

Jim Beam is a whiskey but not a Whisky.

Drink Whisky and you will start a long and fruitful journey on the right path grasshopper.

I would suggest this as a very good introduction for your tastes. I promise you it is worth the investment, you will like it;

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=0010000039405&cid=GQN7J62I4KBISGYH3NH2GUXFYBASBONZ

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Worthingite; said:
JD and Jim Beam are Bourbon's, not whiskey (in the strictest sense of the word). Plus they're shit (IMO).

Get to Waitrose (or most supermarkets actually), pop a decent bottle of Jura, Glenmorangie or Talisker in your basket, pay the nice man, take it home, pour a nice large one (ice AT MOST - NO MIXER), and ENJOY!!!!!

Er, none of the 5 above are whiskeys

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Jameson's Limited Reserve 18yo - the dogs bollocks - i was lucky enough to get a free tasting of this at the Middleton distillery in Cork. A must visit if your ever on a trip to the area by the way.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Er, none of the 5 above are whiskeys

JD is not a bourbon by the way. Bourbon comes from Kentucky, Jack comes from Tennessee and is known as a sour mash.

And it IS a whiskey by the way!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Ha ha, i love NSC! I do believe it may have been the Laphroaig, as i was bit tipsy at the time and was recommended it but couldn't pronounce it! Apologies for the basic whisky, whiskey, bourbon errors. On a trip to Edinburgh soon so will be sure to try a few samples. Cheers.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If you like Bourbon's or American Whiskeys head to The Great Eastern in trafalgar street and if they still have it treat yourself to measure of Bookers, it's pricey but very nice indeed. I also recommend Platte valley Corn Whiskey if you want something a little less heavy. .

I can vouch for these two reccomendations, they are both wonderful. I can also vouch for the Great Eastern as a place to go and try, they have dozens to choose from.

If you're going mainstream, Jim Beam Bourbon is my preference.

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
If your in Brighton you have to check out the whiskey store on East St

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you are looking for a really smooth whisky - Dalwhinnie or Irish Midleton's whiskey. If you are looking for smokey - The Peat Monster

All expensive unfortunately, especially Middleton's (circa £99 :()

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I can vouch for these two reccomendations, they are both wonderful. I can also vouch for the Great Eastern as a place to go and try, they have dozens to choose from.

If you're going mainstream, Jim Beam Bourbon is my preference.

If you like bourbon, i highly recommend Makers Mark - a bit pricier but gorgeous over rocks.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ha ha, i love NSC! I do believe it may have been the Laphroaig, as i was bit tipsy at the time and was recommended it but couldn't pronounce it! Apologies for the basic whisky, whiskey, bourbon errors. On a trip to Edinburgh soon so will be sure to try a few samples. Cheers.

If you are going to Edinburgh, take yourself to Cadenhead's shop in Cannongate (bottom of the Royal Mile), I guarantee you there is no better Whisky shop in Edinburgh, possibly Scotland or the world (I don't make idle claims). You'll need to establish your credentials with them, tell them your experience, and then have some tastes of what they suggest. It's impossible to explain what it's all about, you need to go there. Beware though, we've come out of there on more than one occasion, somewhat bawsed, and considerably poorer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here