Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recent form a major disappointment

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Incidentally, 1 point per game (as its been for the last 13) would have put us on 46 point. Safe by 6 points, and not bad enough to be truly "relegation form".

Only because Portsmouth were deducted ten points.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We very rarely perform against teams in the top 6. Even last season we struggled. Having said that, Gus's bizarre team selection didn't help. What was he thinking changing it after we played so well vs Reading?

Not sure you're allowed to say that, too many on here are sitting on the Gus Bus (but with blindfolds on!)

Am i the only one who thinks bar the last five gameds which were a bit of a let down in terms of our playoff charge petering out it's been f***ing exciting? Even being up and in it until about 4 games to go was something amazing.

I love it, i love everything about the club right now.

Personally, I think the rot started when we started without any winger against Millwall

You're only majorly disappointed if you had unrealistic expectations to begin with. I predicted top 10 before the season started, we've had a lot of injuries and a tough run in. We've ended up 14 places higher in the League structure than last year and still improving.

What you predicted at the start of the season is irrelevant (unless of course you had a bet). Most of us at the start of the season would be satisfied with where we finished but the fact is we got ourselves into a much better position. It's a bit like getting to the cup final and then not really giving it a go because at the begining of the season that was beyond your wildest dreams so you're not really entitled to be there!!!

Well said,sums it up for me....if we had been in Palaces position with 4 games to go.... and we ended up 10th you'd all say what a wonderful
season we'd had...had half of you seen the crap dished up at Gillingham you'd realse just how far this club has progressed!

Just keep checking over your shoulder as you'll never know what might creep up on you!!!

We, as fans, are inexperienced at this level. So how can we comment on how Gus and the team did? It is a learning curve for all of us.

What a pointless post.

Just thought I would highlight some play-off teams there. Oh, wait, they had bad runs too? NO! But they made the play-offs.....

Does that not make a mockery of the "we had a bad run, we are shit" theory? You CAN have a bad run and make the play-offs, your stats prove it.
T

Try and be a bit subjective. Neither West Ham nor Birmingham were on a bad run. In their previous 9 games before playing us, Brum had won 4 and drawn 4. West Ham had drawn 6 and won 2 (go back another 5 games and you can add 3 more wins and 2 draws). Also, out of seven teams referred to you, you pick out the two in the play-offs but how do you explain the crap results against the rest (probably excluding Watford who have been one of the form teams since the turn of the year).

For me, the poor selection goes back to the Millwall game when we started with no wingers and climaxed with the, so far unexplained, wholesale changes after the excellent performance against Reading.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For me, the poor selection goes back to the Millwall game when we started with no wingers and climaxed with the, so far unexplained, wholesale changes after the excellent performance against Reading.

After dismissing other people's opinions as irrelevant or pointless, maybe you should take more notice of interviews or articles where it has clearly been stated that some players have been playing with injuries or have been unavailable for selection because of persistent injuries (Noone hasn't been right since Coventry away and LuaLua has only been 80 fit for months) so therefore it has been difficult for the manager to play everyone that he has wanted to play.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gus 'mistakes' seems to be a theme by some on here.

Like all young managers, he's no where near perfect, but I don't think he could have done that much better with the resources.
Teams like West Ham, M'boro, Blackpool had a lot of money behind their squads, and some experienced and class players.
TB and Gus only started building last Summer.

Once he knew the game was up, he (without slagging individuals off) gave last chances to Painter, Dicker & the goalies for example.
It was a win-win. If they suddenly came good at this level; retain for 2012/13. If not, ship out this Summer.
It was a good chance for his management team to have a final look at marginal players, before the hard decisions are made.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
After dismissing other people's opinions as irrelevant or pointless, maybe you should take more notice of interviews or articles where it has clearly been stated that some players have been playing with injuries or have been unavailable for selection because of persistent injuries (Noone hasn't been right since Coventry away and LuaLua has only been 80 fit for months) so therefore it has been difficult for the manager to play everyone that he has wanted to play.

Would one of those interviews be the one published in the Argus stating that Noone was potentially going to miss the rest of the season because of his hamstring but despite these concerns, earnt a place on the bench ahead of Buckley (probably, in most peoples eyes, a better player) the following day against WHU and played just under 30 minutes? As for KLL, is this the same player who at 80% tore into Derby not that long ago?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
''After dismissing other people's opinions as irrelevant or pointless'' ..sums it up in a nutshell

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Gus 'mistakes' seems to be a theme by some on here.

Like all young managers, he's no where near perfect, but I don't think he could have done that much better with the resources.
Teams like West Ham, M'boro, Blackpool had a lot of money behind their squads, and some experienced and class players.
TB and Gus only started building last Summer.

Once he knew the game was up, he (without slagging individuals off) gave last chances to Painter, Dicker & the goalies for example.
It was a win-win. If they suddenly came good at this level; retain for 2012/13. If not, ship out this Summer.
It was a good chance for his management team to have a final look at marginal players, before the hard decisions are made.

This.
Gus knew (like most fans) by a certain stage, that the game was up; so gave a last chance to certain players. They didn't come up with the goods;
and won't next year against Charlton, Sheff Weds/Utd, Wolves, Blackburn, Bolton, and other squads enhanced with even more cash this Summer (Leicester, West Ham/Cardiff etc),
so TB & Gus will move them on, for classier players.

Good times ahead.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
A shame we fell away after being fourth with about six/seven games to go and a fully fit Vicente, he could have made a real difference had Gus not tinkered so much. With the players around him.

Overall gotta be happy BUT we may never have had a better chance of going up, you cant choose when you just have to tale it when it comes.

Last edited:

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
A shame we fell away after being fourth with about six/seven games to go and a fully fit Vicente, he could have made a real difference had Gus not tinkered so much.

Overall gotta be happy BUT we may never have had a better chance of going up, you cant choose when you just have to tale it when it comes.

We were never going to beat those clubs:
M'boro with Barry Robson more than matched us at our place,
West Ham always had the beating of us, and hit form before that with second half destruction of fancied B'ham, and every away game
Burnley got the lucky break and cheated their way through an hour's timewasting (common these days).
Blackpool are a class outfit with some great PL players & manager.
etc

We weren't ready for the playoffs or PL,
but the club is on the rise!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Good and bad runs seemed to be the story of our season, We had some good unbeaten runs and then other times when we couldn't buy a win. I've really enjoyed it though and finishing 10th is a good achievement as far as i'm concerned.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Would one of those interviews be the one published in the Argus stating that Noone was potentially going to miss the rest of the season because of his hamstring but despite these concerns, earnt a place on the bench ahead of Buckley (probably, in most peoples eyes, a better player) the following day against WHU and played just under 30 minutes? As for KLL, is this the same player who at 80% tore into Derby not that long ago?

The whole interview was on Player, not just soundbites quoted by Naylor in the Argus, and Gus said, that Noone's injury, for example, wasn't so serious that it would keep him out for the rest of the season, but that after playing part of a game, would tighten up and maybe rule him out for the next couple of games. So Gus had to make decisions week by week, who was available to him. He knew the medical condition of each and every player and had to assess how much of an impact half a game, or 20 minutes would make on upcoming games.

As I pointed out earlier, 4 teams did the double over us, so was it tinkering that lost us the game at Burnley when Burnley had beaten us in December? We only had 9 men but remember their manager is Eddie Howe who caused us problems when he was manager of Bournemouth last season. So, was it tinkering or is it the fact that Howe can beat Poyet on tactics? You could ask a similar question about Allardyce although be loathe to admit that his awful tactics did beat us twice, or you could point out that West Ham have so much more expensive talent available to them from parachute payments and experience in the Prem. As for Blackpool, apart from Reading, I think they were the best team we played, and I hope they win the playoffs.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Exactly the same thread on the CP board...a lot of the same answers as well...if any team does not do as well as hope/expected there will be disappointment....if we don't make it this coming season you will have fans calling for Gus's head.....mark my words!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A shame we fell away after being fourth with about six/seven games to go and a fully fit Vicente, he could have made a real difference had Gus not tinkered so much. With the players around him.

I agree that it was a flat end to the season, but ultimately money talks and all the clubs finishing above us had far bigger budgets.

People can talk about tactics and formations all they want, but it is players that win matches. How many of our regulars would have got into the Reading/Southampton/West Ham/ Cardiff starting XI?

A fit Vicente definitely, Bridcutt probably, but then we are struggling.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree that it was a flat end to the season, but ultimately money talks and all the clubs finishing above us had far bigger budgets.

People can talk about tactics and formations all they want, but it is players that win matches. How many of our regulars would have got into the Reading/Southampton/West Ham/ Cardiff starting XI?

This this and this.

D

Deleted member 2719

Mate, seriously, chill out... we have the foundations for the future. I'm pretty gutted we only finished 10th even though I predicted, wanted, that position. It is because we are so far ahead of the clubs plan. TB predicted 2019 for the Prem, we are in 2012 for the new season in August and will be one of the favourites for top six. Don't ever look on this season as a let down, we are a seriously good team that would be in the Prem of any other European league. We're ok.

I am happy with the overall result but not happy at the inability to sort out our demise towards the end, like i said i am sure he will sort it next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

well cardiff wanted noone and reading cms, (they actually bid for them) bet buckley a fit kaz and el abd would be coveted by other clubs. Allardyce would love an AEA style player.

Thats seven. Incl your two.

Then there are our three prem league reserves mattock (good) , gai (ok if he can stop slipping over) and vokes (not ffsmurray but better than painter) all with prem experience so thats TEN. Four if you count attitude boy razak (shame that one) and ELEVEN overall albeit there is a double up in some positions. Maybe even treble up like in midfield.

Also forgot Reyes mk1 shame he couldnt produce second part of the loan.

Then there was harper showing us what a decent keeper at this level looks like.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

That's not a very positive point of view

I am talking realistic and not on emotion after a loss or a win and as i stated that i am sure Gus will get it right, however if he does not learn by his mistakes from the last 13 games he is not a messiah, just as you and i would be judged in the same position.
Let's see if the man really is a proper manager in his second year in the championship, i can't wait to see him develop as a manger.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What an odd thread, apart from some of the personal insults I'm not really sure who is arguing with whom. Three points:

1 - Overall it's been a GREAT season, the best for decades. Finally we're a proper football club again with a bright future.
2 - The last few months have been disappointing results-wise, especially as at one stage we had a real chance of making the play-offs.
3 - Point 2 is a fact. Stating it does NOT automatically make someone a 'negative moaner who needs a reality check'. There are some of those admittedly, but they are a tiny tiny minority.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We were never going to beat those clubs:
M'boro with Barry Robson more than matched us at our place,
West Ham always had the beating of us, and hit form before that with second half destruction of fancied B'ham, and every away game
Burnley got the lucky break and cheated their way through an hour's timewasting (common these days).
Blackpool are a class outfit with some great PL players & manager.
etc

We weren't ready for the playoffs or PL,
but the club is on the rise!

Sorry but wimbledon were never going to beat liverpool in the cup final, chelsea were never going to beat barcelona, wigan were never going to beat arsenal. palace were never going to beat us at the amex. etc

Never say never. i would say unlikely but not never. as has been proved anyone can beat anyone. bristol city beat saints home and away.

However gus tinkering didnt help what those teams did was play their best 11 to be fair i dont think even gus knows what it was.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What an odd thread, apart from some of the personal insults I'm not really sure who is arguing with whom. Three points:

1 - Overall it's been a GREAT season, the best for decades. Finally we're a proper football club again with a bright future.
2 - The last few months have been disappointing results-wise, especially as at one stage we had a real chance of making the play-offs.
3 - Point 2 is a fact. Stating it does NOT automatically make someone a 'negative moaner who needs a reality check'. There are some of those admittedly, but they are a tiny tiny minority.

Thank you Brovian. This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here