Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recent form a major disappointment

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was going to do a similar thread as 13points from 13 games at the end of the season is poor, very poor if we hadn't come out flying from the blocks where would we be now (Amex affect maybe).
The honeymoon period is over so let's hope the management team learn't a lot this season and make the right decisions next year because our last 2 months were relegation form.
Gus has admitted it is a learning curve for him as he's not managed at this level before. He's now seen the standard of player required to succeed at this level and already announced that there are going to be changes this summer and that he wants 5 or 6 new players. Taking into account, players who have been playing with injuries like Greer, Vincelot and Noone, then getting to where we have done, is an achievement in itself.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Chill out Cockney Red!

:lol: You responded after like 2 seconds. Grrr I'm so angry I'll have to resort to insults. Anyway this conversation is going around in circles so I'll be the bigger man (once again) and stop arguing with you.

D

Deleted member 2719

I seriously think we'll struggle next year compared to this unless we get some quality players in. We have no momentum.

I agree, i know some people will think we are being negative, but i see it as constructive because it is fact we fell away dramatically and the management team must surely look at it and themselves and stand tall if they are to blame for our demise. I personally feel Gus has over thought it, way too many unnecessary changes.

Hopefully we can put it down to general all-round inexperience and that we can learn by.

Roll on next season.

D

Deleted member 2719

Gus has admitted it is a learning curve for him as he's not managed at this level before. He's now seen the standard of player required to succeed at this level and already announced that there are going to be changes this summer and that he wants 5 or 6 new players. Taking into account, players who have been playing with injuries like Greer, Vincelot and Noone, then getting to where we have done, is an achievement in itself.

Apologies, i hadn't realised Gus had done this, which is great news and we can only hope it's not just to give him a bit longer and he is not blagging. Personally i don't have him down as a Harry bullshiter so we should be on to a even more consistent season next year.

D

Deleted member 2719

We, as fans, are inexperienced at this level. So how can we comment on how Gus and the team did? It is a learning curve for all of us.

Your right we do not have Championship experience, but we do have a voice and i like to use it for motivation, i use the saying 'there's more than one way to skin a cat'!

Ps NO cat's have been skinned in this instance.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I agree, i know some people will think we are being negative, but i see it as constructive because it is fact we fell away dramatically and the management team must surely look at it and themselves and stand tall if they are to blame for our demise. I personally feel Gus has over thought it, way too many unnecessary changes.

Hopefully we can put it down to general all-round inexperience and that we can learn by.

Roll on next season.

But it is negative, you can't get past that, it IS negative. Do you not trust the club to move forward? I seriously hate the negativity all season long because it is a case of que sera, whatever will be will be. But we aren't getting promoted and relegated. We have a set up and a Chairman that wants to move us forward and a manager that, despite his South American arrogance, knows what he is doing. We haven't had a manager like this since Mullers. He is also a big name in football that can bring us players we would never dream of. I would love to sometimes blurt out what a bunch of under performing wankers they have been some weeks, West Ham comes to mind more than any game, but you have to take the positives and negatives and add up where we are. The positives far outweigh the negatives and yet we still see the shite diatribe spewed out here by armchair managers. I trust my club, I wish a few more here could. Fortunately NSC isn't the word for Brighton and Hove Albion FC.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Your right we do not have Championship experience, but we do have a voice and i like to use it for motivation, i use the saying 'there's more than one way to skin a cat'!

Ps NO cat's have been skinned in this instance.

:lol: You are bang on mate.

D

Deleted member 2719

But it is negative, you can't get past that, it IS negative. Do you not trust the club to move forward? I seriously hate the negativity all season long because it is a case of que sera, whatever will be will be. But we aren't getting promoted and relegated. We have a set up and a Chairman that wants to move us forward and a manager that, despite his South American arrogance, knows what he is doing. We haven't had a manager like this since Mullers. He is also a big name in football that can bring us players we would never dream of. I would love to sometimes blurt out what a bunch of under performing wankers they have been some weeks, West Ham comes to mind more than any game, but you have to take the positives and negatives and add up where we are. The positives far outweigh the negatives and yet we still see the shite diatribe spewed out here by armchair managers. I trust my club, I wish a few more here could. Fortunately NSC isn't the word for Brighton and Hove Albion FC.

I am a very positive man, but you have to be realistic 13 points in 13 games is as near as relegation form as you like.

Yes we started fantastic was we being pulled on by last season and the fantastic new full to the brim stadium,bloody sure we were. However that said i have never said i do not trust the club.TB i back 100million percent Gus i back like any other manager, so if he and his management squad learn by there mistakes of recent the fans will stay happy TB will stay happy, we do not want to be flirting with DIV 1 with this stadium so early in it's infancy, that basically my point of view.
Gus did what he needed to do but the form needs to turn back and i am sure he will get it right.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
We were also chasing a play off, or should have been.

Barnsley: 1 point from 18 prior to today.
Birmingham: Came to us on a run of 3 draws.
Burnley: Won 1 of their previous 9 when we faced them
Middlesbrough: Failed to win in their previous five games, taking only 3 points.
Forest: 7 point from 15 prior to facing us.
Watford: 2 points from 9 before facing us.
West Ham: Won 2 of last 9 games before facing us, hadn't won at home in 7 or 8 games.

Taking form into consideration, Reading becomes the only game we should have expected to lose.

Thats why football isn't about stats and in the end of the day, they mean absolutely nothing.

We had a spell earlier in the season where we played a few games and hardly had a shot (if any) so we could use that to expand over the whole season and we wouldn't have scored any goals at all. Stats do not tell you the outcome of any game or football betting industry would be irrelevent as the result would be so certain and there would be no way for bookies to make money.

We were in the last 10 games of the season, certain teams were fighting for their lives, and may not have been getting the results their performances deserved.

Look at other stats for those games rather than just the convenient ones, using say West Ham as an example. How many games at home had they dominated but not won, (had the opposition had just 1 shot and scored it and they had 20 and only scored 1?) Were they out played by any or all of the teams in any of the 7 or 8 home games you mention? Did they have key players missing who were backa nd fully fit again when we played? etc......

Games since a win mean nothing, it it did, we would never have escaped relegation at Hereford 15 years ago when so far adrift a few months earlier. You can play well and get nothing or play poorly and win. you can get poor ref decisions that influence the outcome of the match (Penalty at Southampton that cost us a goal and a player despite being 2 yards outside the box and meant we had no way of getting back into the game) and games can be won and lost on such small margins.

Since you like stats so much, can you do the same for all the other teams we were competing against for a play-off spot (form of their opponents)

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Yes the recent form has been disappointing and we did throw away a play-off place - but its still our best league finish for 21 years, we finished 10 points above Palace AND Pompey were relegated.

Im fcuking delighted !!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I am a very positive man, but you have to be realistic 13 points in 13 games is as near as relegation form as you like.

Yes we started fantastic was we being pulled on by last season and the fantastic new full to the brim stadium,bloody sure we were. However that said i have never said i do not trust the club.TB i back 100million percent Gus i back like any other manager, so if he and his management squad learn by there mistakes of recent the fans will stay happy TB will stay happy, we do not want to be flirting with DIV 1 with this stadium so early in it's infancy, that basically my point of view.
Gus did what he needed to do but the form needs to turn back and i am sure he will get it right.

Mate, seriously, chill out... we have the foundations for the future. I'm pretty gutted we only finished 10th even though I predicted, wanted, that position. It is because we are so far ahead of the clubs plan. TB predicted 2019 for the Prem, we are in 2012 for the new season in August and will be one of the favourites for top six. Don't ever look on this season as a let down, we are a seriously good team that would be in the Prem of any other European league. We're ok.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just thought I would highlight some play-off teams there. Oh, wait, they had bad runs too? NO! But they made the play-offs.....

Does that not make a mockery of the "we had a bad run, we are shit" theory? You CAN have a bad run and make the play-offs, your stats prove it.

You can, and I'm not saying we are shit. I'm simply saying we had a bad run at the end of the season where we didn't play as well as we can. I disagree that it is a major disappointment, but it did, for me, give the end of the season a flat feeling.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You can, and I'm not saying we are shit. I'm simply saying we had a bad run at the end of the season where we didn't play as well as we can. I disagree that it is a major disappointment, but it did, for me, give the end of the season a flat feeling.

True, being in a play off position with ten games to go built up hopes, but taking the season as a whole we have finished where we deserve to be.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Only 4 teams did the double over us and unfortunately all those 4 teams came at the end of the season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Thats why football isn't about stats and in the end of the day, they mean absolutely nothing.

If you want to talk performances, in the last 13 games our performances on the whole (bar Reading, somewhat ironically) have not been as good as the team is capable of producing and have produced over the season. Again, I'm not in agreement that it's a "major" disappointment, but it did give the end of the season a flat feeling.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Incidentally, 1 point per game (as its been for the last 13) would have put us on 46 point. Safe by 6 points, and not bad enough to be truly "relegation form".

Yes our form stalled but perhaps that was more down to the exertions of the season. Most are League One players with League One fitness levels. I anticipate next year we would be more competitive at this stage even if our squad remained largely the same because our players would be more in tune with the fitness needed to compete for 46 games at this level.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

That's not a very positive point of view

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here