Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recent form a major disappointment

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
One win in the last ten. Only 16 away goals in the entire season.

At the start of the season I would have been happy with 10th, but we had our hopes raised ... and then dashed due to crap displays in the latter part of the season with points thrown away game after game.

Personally I blame Gus for the loss of form.
- At times bizarre team selection.
- Inability to pick the same starting eleven in consecutive games
- Inability to decide on our best line up and stick with it
- Persisting with CMS on his own up front
- Apparent instructions to give the ball to Vicente all the time. The guy's good, but not THAT good ... as we have seen
- Not giving a game to Vincelot, JFC and Agderstein at the end of the season

In fact I'm now thoroughly pissed off with our recent form and frankly the end of the season has been a great big let down.

Without doubt we need some big changes if we are to prosper in this division. Probably a decent striker being our main requirement. We won't win anything without one.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In fact I'm now thoroughly pissed off with our recent form and frankly the end of the season has been a great big let down.

Agree with this bit, the rest is just the usual gobshite team/manager knocking.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Personally goldstone, I blame you

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If you believe Vicente is only "good, but not THAT good" you must be really disappointed with the rest of our players :eek:

He's not good enough to be our only creative outlet in the entire team. No player would be.

We were winning games and playing pretty bloody well without him.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Personally goldstone, I blame you

Well said. :thumbsup:

Personally, I think being disappointed is perfectly reasonable. We fell away and finished 10th, that is disappointing. But I'm not disappointed because I think even to finish so high, we've overachieved. It's my personal opinion a lot of our players aren't the standard to finish in the top 10 in the Championship, and yet, we have. I'm very pleased with the whole season, we're no longer little Brighton. Massive strides forward, it's a brilliant time in our history.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
To be fair I fail to see how finishing tenth in our first season back at this level is a disappointment. From my point of view we could have finished a lot lower and I have still an amazing season watching Albion play fantastic football in a fantastic stadium. I'm proud to support this team and I think we've bloody well!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
To be fair I fail to see how finishing tenth in our first season back at this level is a disappointment. From my point of view we could have finished a lot lower and I have still an amazing season watching Albion play fantastic football in a fantastic stadium. I'm proud to support this team and I think we've bloody well!

If you bothered to read my first post properly you will notice that my disappointment was based on the way we fell away so badly at the end of the season ... at the beginning of the season I would have definitely accepted a 10th place finish.

D

Deleted member 22389

Well said. :thumbsup:

Personally, I think being disappointed is perfectly reasonable. We fell away and finished 10th, that is disappointing. But I'm not disappointed because I think even to finish so high, we've overachieved. It's my personal opinion a lot of our players aren't the standard to finish in the top 10 in the Championship, and yet, we have. I'm very pleased with the whole season, we're no longer little Brighton. Massive strides forward, it's a brilliant time in our history.

That's right and Gus knows this. This is why he has mentioned 3 or 4 times that there are going to be changes. We have punched above our weight and to finish in the top half of the championship has been absolutely fantastic. Quite a few teams this season have physically out muscled us, taken control of us and dictated the game, and this is why Gus has mentioned we need big players to compete.

I don't care if it takes us another 3 or 4 seasons to reach the Premiership, because as long as we get players who have experience, and build on the squad we are moving in the right direction.

Adsgull

Feb 27, 2012
Southwick
I think 10th is alot better than expected although some fans hopes were raised when we were in the playoff places but apparently strange decisions made by gus are the sole reason for finishing the season in mid table not fatigue or anything. I personally am very happy with the progress we have made and would have never predicted that sort of season last August.
Some players aren't upto the standard of the championship but Gus has given them a chance and will hopefully add some more quality in the summer.
As for Vicente I'm pleased as punch he has played for the Albion and if he goes I think most (sensible) fans would say thank you and wish him well. I hope he stays and as for people saying the tactics are designed to just pass to him and let him do what he wants it may seem like that but that's because he is a cut above the players we currently have.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If you bothered to read my first post properly you will notice that my disappointment was based on the way we fell away so badly at the end of the season ... at the beginning of the season I would have definitely accepted a 10th place finish.

Personally I blame Gus for the loss of form.

Not making an attack on anyone then, just disappointed.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Well I still couldn't be happier with the season. Hope this doesn't bother you.

:wozza:

Mate, 100% what you said, think its been a tough season for the team, not huge huge investment in an extremely competitive league. The final push was a little bit too much but could not be happier with what we have achieved this season. Gus is still learning, need to see who can make the step up, why run before walking. And yes Vicente is still THAT GOOD.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm disappointed because just a month ago we were fourth and it feels like we've blown it. I think if you look at last summer's predictions I was saying around 10th would be a fantastic start to our new Championship campaign. But I do feel like I was a kid in a toy store that had the toys taken away. But it is a good start to life in the higher leagues. I'm just a bit disappointed.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath

Now now......I did 'bother' to read your post thanks and I have taken in your comments. Obviously feel how you feel mate but all I am saying is that I am happy with where we have finished. I have enjoyed every minute of this season and gave tried not to get too carried away and expect us to romp home league winners.......be disappointed me, I'm very very happy

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Whine moan whine moan whine !!!! SHUT UP !!
Best position we have finished for 20 years AND above Palarse and Pompey ! 5th rd of FA Cup, beaten two premiership sides this season who is 4th or 5th at the moment
One of the best footballers to grace a pitch outside the Premiership has been playing for us, we have the best young manager outside the Premiership, a beautiful new stadium with even more seats going in !!!
And all you think about is our last few games have been shit !!! What a joke !!!
Im sick and tired of whinging whiney f***ing moaners on here, say something positive or keep quiet.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We punched above our weight for a spell which raised expectation but in contrast to the last time we graced this division how refreshing has it been to go into every game knowing you have a good chance of winning.

Can't wait for next season and hopefully to push on further

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm disappointed because just a month ago we were fourth and it feels like we've blown it. I think if you look at last summer's predictions I was saying around 10th would be a fantastic start to our new Championship campaign. But I do feel like I was a kid in a toy store that had the toys taken away. But it is a good start to life in the higher leagues. I'm just a bit disappointed.

Completely agree with this - still, I guess it's a sign of progress that we're disappointed with a comfortable top half finish! I suppose that, being Brighton fans, we feel cheated if we're not biting our nails for one reason or other on the last day!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here