Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rebekah Brooks charged with perverting the course of justice.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Rebekah Brooks and her husband, Charlie, are being charged with perverting the course of justice as part of the phone hacking inquiry.

Mrs Brooks is facing three charges of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice while her husband faces two.

In a statement, they accused the CPS of "posturing" and said: "We deplore this weak and unjust decision."

The charges relate to alleged offences in July last year including concealing documents and computers from police.

The couple will become the first suspects to be charged in an inquiry lasting 18 months.

Mrs Brooks's PA, Cheryl Carter, her chauffeur, Paul Edwards, security staff member Daryl Jorsling and News International head of security Mark Hanna are charged with the same offence.

'Unprecedented posturing'

Revealing the charges ahead of a CPS announcement, the couple said: "We have this morning been informed by the Office of the Department of Public Prosecutions that we are to be charged with perverting the course of justice."

They added: "After the further unprecedented posturing of the CPS we will respond later today after our return from the police station."

Announcing the decision to charge the six, director of public prosecutions legal adviser Alison Levitt, QC, said she was making a statement "in the interests of transparency and accountability".

Mrs Brooks was arrested on 13 March as part of Operation Weeting.

She is charged, along with her husband, Ms Carter, Mr Hanna, Mr Edwards and Mr Jorsling and "persons unknown" of conspiring to "conceal material" from police between 6 and 19 July.

In a second charge, she and Ms Carter are accused of conspiring to remove seven boxes of material from the News International archive between 6 and 9 July.

And in a third charge, Mr and Mrs Brooks, Mr Hanna, Mr Edwards and Mr Jorsling are accused of conspiring to conceal documents, computers and other electronic equipment from police officers between 15 and 19 July.

A seventh unnamed suspect, who also provided security for Mrs Brooks, will not be charged.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Twitter has gone mad with people offering opinions on this - in breach of the Contempt of Court Act, 1981. This, in turn, lessens the chance of a demonstrably fair trail and therefore there is more chance of any trial collapsing.

Twitter is a brilliant thing, but I sometimes worry about the effect it can have...

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
An evil witch who tarnished many lives during her poisonous editorship of The Screws. There should be at least one more charge. That hair of hers is criminal in itself.

Hopefully Holloway awaits. :lolol:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Twitter has gone mad with people offering opinions on this - in breach of the Contempt of Court Act, 1981. This, in turn, lessens the chance of a demonstrably fair trail and therefore there is more chance of any trial collapsing.

Twitter is a brilliant thing, but I sometimes worry about the effect it can have...

Is Brooks in breach of anything to make that statement about the CPS 'posturing'?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
That's rather vindictive - sending her to the Blackpool manager.

Perhaps it was her he was referring to in his famous quote about an ugly victory being like pulling an ugly woman and getting her into a cab back to yours after a night out?

As for Ernest - I think the most embarassing piece is cameron telling her that he couldnt defend her as Ed M had him on the run. That's an admission more embarassing than anything else that could come out.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Impossible to feel any sympathy whatsoever - she will never rat on "call me Dave" though as his tax policies are guaranteeing her pension.......... millionaires and old school ties eh ???

Last edited:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Ginger = Guilty.

Lock her away in a dark room!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wouldn't mind perverting her course of justice

phnaaar phnaaar

sorry:eek::ffsparr:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Funny how for years she has splashed people all over her front pages, and sent paps out to hound them everywhere they go, now it's happening to her, she doesn't like it. "Can't get a fair trial" - tough !

I thought much the same after her quotes on being "scapegoating" and "witch-hunts"

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I thought much the same after her quotes on being "scapegoating" and "witch-hunts"

Exactly. She's a witch, and this is a hunt for justice. What's her problem?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Funny how for years she has splashed people all over her front pages, and sent paps out to hound them everywhere they go, now it's happening to her, she doesn't like it. "Can't get a fair trial" - tough !
Even worse was her "expressing her anger" at the fact that those closest to her have been dragged into it.

Oh the irony.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So Call Me Dave, Gideon, Boris and Mrs Rebekah all went to the same school. Paul Weller was right, what chance do we have against a tie and a crest?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here