Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Really Urgent Computer Help Needed!!

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
Somehow, while installing/uninstalling a new phone/mp3 player i have compleately f***ed up this laptop, and so the D:/ (cd-rom) drive is not respondind and it won't accept any cd's even when there are some in there.

Any help much appreciated.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
When that happened to mine, i had to get a new CD drive put in, but that might be a last resort....

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm afraiid you'll need to be a little bit more explicit, I'll assume you've not taken the covers off right ?

You really need to give a step by step breakdown of what you did.

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
I was installing a new Samsung phone on the laptop using the CD-ROM provided I did, then it didn't work, so I uninstalled what I had installed and now it won't register that there is one.

I have put in Cd's to see if anything comes up but nothing. Have I f***ed it right up?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
tried a reboot?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well, it would depend on how comfortable about taking the cover off. If you're not don't even try. If you are (I assume you're running XP) I would power off and take the cover off, discoonect the CD from the motherboard and then reboot. I'd then power off again reattach the CD, put the cover back on and reboot and the see if tye CD is recognised an 'new hardware'.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It its'a laptop just unhitch the CD and reboot. Rehitch the CD and boot again.

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
bhaexpress said:
Well, it would depend on how comfortable about taking the cover off. If you're not don't even try. If you are (I assume you're running XP) I would power off and take the cover off, discoonect the CD from the motherboard and then reboot. I'd then power off again reattach the CD, put the cover back on and reboot and the see if tye CD is recognised an 'new hardware'.

Off a Laptop, i'll give it a wizz i spose. If that doesn't work am i f***ed

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
reboot = restart ya GOON :dunce:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Errrm... before you do anything drastic, are you simply saying that when you put a CD in, it doesn't detect it. That could just be the autorun thing being disabled (I'm no expert as you can tell, but it's happened to me before).

What happens if you put a CD in, click on "My Computer", and then the relevant drive? It might kick into life if you do that.

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
trueblue said:
Errrm... before you do anything drastic, are you simply saying that when you put a CD in, it doesn't detect it. That could just be the autorun thing being disabled (I'm no expert as you can tell, but it's happened to me before).

What happens if you put a CD in, click on "My Computer", and then the relevant drive? It might kick into life if you do that.

It doesn't appear in my computer

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Beeercan said:
It doesn't appear in my computer

Look at my previous post, don't take the cover off a laptop as they are bastards to put back together.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here