Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rather than moan about early leavers!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What could be done to ease the travel worries before we start to lose our mighty fanbase? We can keep moaning about going early but there must be a very good reason. Please come up with ways to improve travel,whats it going to like with 30,000:facepalm:

Its a valid point. Capacity has been increased by 6K with no extra carriages or very much extra transport provision at all really. Got on a train at Brighton station just after 5.30 last night and it was mobbed. That's not good. There might be some extra car parks this season, but so far as I can see there's no extra capacity on buses or trains. Certainly not in line with the expansion at any rate. Are we all REALLY supposed to get to the ground two hours early and hang around for an hour after the game for a three mile public transport ride back into town? Not exactly sustainable is it, other than for people who have a pathological desire to queue.

Way to improve things? Replace the car parks with massive shuttle bus parks that take people back into town(s).

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The longest I've had to wait is 35/40 minutes and that was because there were no extra trains.. West Ham away last season I waited about an hour and I even waited 30 minutes before joining the queue... People need to stop living in a small club mentality and realize it's not going to be as easy to get 30,000 away from the ground as it was to get 8,000 away from Withdean..

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
What could be done to ease the travel worries before we start to lose our mighty fanbase? We can keep moaning about going early but there must be a very good reason. Please come up with ways to improve travel,whats it going to like with 30,000:facepalm:

I think we need an additional exit road into Falmer Road. I thought i was fortunate as a 1901 member to be allocated a parking space in Bennett's car park alongside the stadium. However it normally takes 75 minutes to exit the car park as the buses take priority. I stayed to the end last night but didn't get out the car park until 10.50 which is crazy. My colleague who lives in Crawley always has to leave 6-10 minutes before the end so he can his car out of the park before the crowds pile out. Of course he doesn't want to, but has little choice particularly as he has his little boy with him. So another exit route from the car park by-passing the bus drop-off area would be of huge benefit. It does seem that The Amex is probably the worst stadium for fans getting to and leaving from and I think priority should be given to this problem. It can only get worse as the crowds get bigger. I live in Hove and actually the quickest way for me to get there is by bicycle, which is not on when the weather is like it was last night.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I think we need an additional exit road into Falmer Road. I thought i was fortunate as a 1901 member to be allocated a parking space in Bennett's car park alongside the stadium. However it normally takes 75 minutes to exit the car park as the buses take priority. I stayed to the end last night but didn't get out the car park until 10.50 which is crazy. My colleague who lives in Crawley always has to leave 6-10 minutes before the end so he can his car out of the park before the crowds pile out. Of course he doesn't want to, but has little choice particularly as he has his little boy with him. So another exit route from the car park by-passing the bus drop-off area would be of huge benefit. It does seem that The Amex is probably the worst stadium for fans getting to and leaving from and I think priority should be given to this problem. It can only get worse as the crowds get bigger. I live in Hove and actually the quickest way for me to get there is by bicycle, which is not on when the weather is like it was last night.

Given you live in Hove why did you feel the need for a parking spot? And Crawley is not exactly distant from transport links either.

the amex is definitely not the worst stadium to get to or from. It may have a hilariously exclusive and expensive car park that is only really suited to people who will be at the ground for at least 90 minutes after kick off though.

My personal travel route is on the h route these are single deckers that go to hangleton but they stop through patcham,withdean and the hove park district but the majority go back to hangleton.
Not sure why they can't use double deckers and go direct to hangleton this would get twice the people to hangleton in half the time and half the wait back at the amex.
The patcham,withdean,hove park route could be a separate bus that could probably take most of these passengers in one run.
What figures have we on stadium travel,ie percentages on p/r,trains,supporters buses,walkers etc.
They need to look at these figures to get the most out of current transport.:moo:

the longest i've had to wait is 35/40 minutes and that was because there were no extra trains.. West ham away last season i waited about an hour and i even waited 30 minutes before joining the queue... People need to stop living in a small club mentality and realize it's not going to be as easy to get 30,000 away from the ground as it was to get 8,000 away from withdean..

we won't have 30,000 wanting to turn up unless we improve transport or our travel habits

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Queue to get on underground when coming out of Wembley takes 1-2 hours, I don;t get why people are complaining here.

They never been to a football match before?

That queue down Wembley way on a midweek game is hideous.

I get more pissed off with the queue at Brighton getting to the Amex rather than the one at Falmer on the way home.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Divert the River Ouse through Falmer Village and then use the IOW hovercraft to bring people in. People would be able to park their cars in the IOW.

iow-ferries.jpg
My Newphew uses that to get to the home games,but he has to leave at about 85 mins to get the last hovercraft backto the I.O.W.. Fair play to him...a hell of a journey.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I had a leisurely pint after the game last night, and wandered down to catch the train... 10-15 minute wait until I was allowed to get on a train which had twopartially empty carriages at the back.. Nice journey compared to my monday morning commute. Not sure what all the fuss is about TBH

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I left early ONLY because I live in London, but I don't really need to, I am just paranoid I will miss the train at clapham and be stuck there forever.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
1/2 way through the second half of each game, looking down on the NS (a still opened up concourse, at present), you start to see people heading home win, draw or lose.

Last night, some on their way out then ran back to the NS after Buckley scored.

This was the same at Withdean ... some South Standers always went very early.

Missing 75 to 80% of games does seem silly, even if you can then boast that you got on the first train out.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Queue to get on underground when coming out of Wembley takes 1-2 hours, I don;t get why people are complaining here.

They never been to a football match before?

Go to wembley central mate. But your point stands. The Amex is pretty good in comparison.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
If all the games were at 3pm on a Saturday it wouldn't be such a big deal, but trying to get back to London after an evening game is a complete mare.

Expecially with a tired child that will be moaning if there's a long wait for the bus, and will be asleep by the time we get to Victoria.

As winter is nearly here, the waiting around in the cold, rain and dark can only get worse.

They should gather up all the unsold pies at the end of the match, and hand them round for £1 each to those people queueing in the cold and damp.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
My personal travel route is on the h route these are single deckers that go to hangleton but they stop through patcham,withdean and the hove park district but the majority go back to hangleton.
Not sure why they can't use double deckers and go direct to hangleton this would get twice the people to hangleton in half the time and half the wait back at the amex.
The patcham,withdean,hove park route could be a separate bus that could probably take most of these passengers in one run.
What figures have we on stadium travel,ie percentages on p/r,trains,supporters buses,walkers etc.
They need to look at these figures to get the most out of current transport.:moo:

Erm you do have a bus that goes direct to Hangleton, it is called the S. The Club need to sort out both the H and S routes so they are fair for all who need them.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
You got me.

Except I don't live in Brighton, I live in North West London. I think that's far enough away for a midweek game to justify being 'smug' about how people really don't need to leave early. If I don't, then nor do 99% of the crowd.

My point is, I don't understand why people need to leave on 85 minutes. What's the point in going in the first place if you're going to miss the last 5 minutes? OK, if we're 3-0 up or 3-0 down I understand it, but not at 1-1! When we beat Sunderland last year I left at the final whistle (after extra time) and was still back home before midnight.

What annoys me is the people sprinting and pushing and shoving to get on the first train out, when they live in Brighton! Hang around for a beer after, you'll have a nice leisurely, quiet train journey home then.

Sorry but why the f*** are you more important than me? You CHOOSES to live so far away, you CHOOSE to come to midweek games so you CHOOSE to be held up like the rest of us who want to leave quick.

So you might be going to London tonight, I'll be waking up at 7am after a tuesday night match, going to Portsmouth (so yes I do understand trains) to study then leaving to go straight to a 9 hour shift from 4pm-1am before going home and getting to my door at about 2am.

But you live in London so you're way more important than me.

Get a grip, not one single fan should have right to say to others "stay behind, you live in Brighton - i don't" because it's not like you don't have a choice in the matter and you are not more important than any other fan.

Bloody hell.

My Newphew uses that to get to the home games,but he has to leave at about 85 mins to get the last hovercraft backto the I.O.W.. Fair play to him...a hell of a journey.

I initially read that that he has to leave 85 minutes early (ie 5 minutes into game) - and if that was true then it would be fair play to him for turning up.:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here