Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rather than moan about early leavers!

abc

Jan 6, 2007
You got me.

Except I don't live in Brighton, I live in North West London. I think that's far enough away for a midweek game to justify being 'smug' about how people really don't need to leave early. If I don't, then nor do 99% of the crowd.

My point is, I don't understand why people need to leave on 85 minutes. What's the point in going in the first place if you're going to miss the last 5 minutes? OK, if we're 3-0 up or 3-0 down I understand it, but not at 1-1! When we beat Sunderland last year I left at the final whistle (after extra time) and was still back home before midnight.

What annoys me is the people sprinting and pushing and shoving to get on the first train out, when they live in Brighton! Hang around for a beer after, you'll have a nice leisurely, quiet train journey home then.

Hoisted by MY own petard then! Sorry.

Everyone who chooses to leave early has their own reason though which is valid to them. I started work a 4.30 am today so getting back to Chichester at 10.30pm as I did (car) makes a massive difference to getting back at 11.30/12.00 if I hadnt left 5 minutes early. If I didnt have that choice I simply wouldnt have gone.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
How about an underground railway system that only goes to the ground?

I think that would probably cost more than the stadium did.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I use P&R and this is my gripe.
Bus takes 99 people, 47 upstairs (think I'm right). Count 47 and shove them upstairs. Then fill lower deck. We now have a full bus. Then when leaving A27 up the ramp make cars stay on right and ONLY buses on left. Priority for buses. Police at roundabout to allow buses through and any cars trying to push in in the left lane sent to university and make them wait. This will get buses to and from the ground quicker and result in fewer buses needed and speed up journey time.
Return journey last night (2 Oct) was good with the marshal counting people on but only one bus at a time. The curb holds two buses, fill them both and get them moving.
That's my gripe but to be honest, what we have works and is all part of the football match experience. Last night was 35 minutes from whistle to car in Mithrus House.

Chinster

Aug 7, 2011
this
TRAIN-ART_1580740c.jpg

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Bus takes 99 people, 47 upstairs (think I'm right). Count 47 and shove them upstairs. Then fill lower deck. We now have a full bus. Then when leaving A27 up the ramp make cars stay on right and ONLY buses on left. Priority for buses. Police at roundabout to allow buses through and any cars trying to push in in the left lane sent to university and make them wait. This will get buses to and from the ground quicker and result in fewer buses needed and speed up journey time.
Return journey last night (2 Oct) was good with the marshal counting people on but only one bus at a time. The curb holds two buses, fill them both and get them moving.
That's my gripe but to be honest, what we have works and is all part of the football match experience. Last night was 35 minutes from whistle to car in Mithrus House.

35 mins to go a couple of miles, shows it does not work well. If they took on board your suggestions it may well only take 20 mins. It will be a success once there are no easy solutions left to speed things up, but at the moment transport seems to be organised by someone getting paid by the hour and not the shift!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've voiced this idea a couple of times now:

The club buys 5 or 6 double deckers.
Kit them out in the stripes.
Have them ferrying people to and from the ground for a couple of hours before and after the game.
Home fans only and you need to show a valid home ticket/card to get on

That way you've got the trains, the B&H buses, the P&R and these club buses getting people where they need to go.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cringed when the Ipswich fans started chanting, "Is there a fire drill" as the ground emptied 5 mins from the end.

People do what they like but I cannot imagine leaving early when a game is at 1-1. It was like rat's from a sinking ship by the end.

People can leave when they like and I can have a whinge about it if I like...

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I've voiced this idea a couple of times now:

The club buys 5 or 6 double deckers.
Kit them out in the stripes.
Have them ferrying people to and from the ground for a couple of hours before and after the game.
Home fans only and you need to show a valid home ticket/card to get on

That way you've got the trains, the B&H buses, the P&R and these club buses getting people where they need to go.

Used Coach Sales - Coach 930 - +44 (0)1925 210202

:moo:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I decided to have a pint after the game and then a leisurely walk to the train queue. The Lewes side was queued to the top of the ramp but I was still on a train by 1034 and home in Eastbourne by 23.10. One problem they have is that people get on to the platform but then don't get the next train because the one after goes where they want. A bigger platform at Lewes would help but no doubt there's some reason why it can't be built.

As a solution though, what about getting a bigger version of that gun they use to shoot t-shirts into the crowd, big enough to fit tubby people like me ? Then they could shoot us home.
Alternatively, a couple of crocodiles on the platform to "encourage" people on to the trains.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

I have been saying since The Amex opened that both the P+R and the trains could be hugely improved by utilising the capa ity to the full. Very frustrating when you are in a queue and busses are leaving with empty seats/space.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I walked straight onto a bus at full time. In my personal experience (and I admit I live very close to the ground in the great scheme of things) transport has just got better and better since day one.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Add another 8 carriages to each train. Alright the platform at Falmer isn't long enough, but why not funnel people on to the last carriage at the platform and use stewards to walk them through to the end carriages

How about we drop back into League One and then the crowds will go down to about 15k and even better if we drop down to League Two I reckon below 10k. Then we can all stay to the end. It's up to Gus and the boys !

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Queue to get on underground when coming out of Wembley takes 1-2 hours, I don;t get why people are complaining here.

They never been to a football match before?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here