Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rate this laptop

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Does the panel like THIS - £379 seems a good deal to me, at first glance. But I'm thick as pigshit.

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...55a&rbc=N03155a&s=dhs&sbc=ukdhsftdppnotebook3

I think I might get one. And yes, I've been thinking about doing this since before NSC or even the internet existed. But those specs really don't mean very much to me - if I'm in a "hotspot", can I be connected to the net via that one, for example? What do those different "mobile technology" things signify?

Any guidance appreciated.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I have the 1500 and it does me great. Although my post count has surged somewhat since getting it....

And i think the answer you'll get is 'yes':)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have an Inspiron 1100 and it's still going on strong. I did have to replace the mains lead a couple of months ago, though.

Dell are fine if you want a cheap machine. If you want customer support however, go elsewhere. So it depends on how much of a luddite you are really...

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
It'll do a job. Processor's not special, I'd want more memory and the hard drive could be bigger.

But it depends on what you need it for essentially. It'll be more than adequate for office tasks and the like. Graphics card is half decent too

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Thank you all for your expert advice - you're not putting me off it. Thing is, for the very basic stuff I want to do with it (mostly writing plain text and watching DVDs on the train), it's just not worth spending too much - it's a bit of a luxury rather than an essential item. What's that mobile stuff all about then?

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bluejuice said:
It'll do a job. Processor's not special, I'd want more memory and the hard drive could be bigger.

But it depends on what you need it for essentially. It'll be more than adequate for office tasks and the like. Graphics card is half decent too
Nah, no need for a big hard drive IMO. And really, unless you're going to running an awful lot of software on your machine simultaneously, I'd say the same about the processor. I prefer the idea of a laptop which is cheap as chips (with average processing speed), and an expandable network ethernet hard drive on a local area network.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I want me a laptop that can play DVD's and CHAMPO and isn't SHITHOUSE and that.
Chappers, you could do worse than buy a second hand laptop, IMO. You can buy perfectly reasonably specd second-hand lap tops for about 100 NICKA these days...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Simster said:
Chappers, you could do worse than buy a second hand laptop, IMO. You can buy perfectly reasonably specd second-hand lap tops for about 100 NICKA these days...

Unfortunately I'm SHITHOUSE with all this so that would be hella RISKY I reckon. Plus I like NEW things.

MOWTCHOPS

Banned
Feb 17, 2007
I got a Dell D800 two years ago, its just started to die on me, is two years good for a cheep laptop ???

I don't think so :(

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Just to clarify one thing: if I have that laptop and I sit on the "wifi" train, for example, do I get web access through it? Or would I have to get some extra bit of kit for that?

MOWTCHOPS

Banned
Feb 17, 2007
Man of Harveys said:
Just to clarify one thing: if I have that laptop and I sit on the "wifi" train, for example, do I get web access through it? Or would I have to get some extra bit of kit for that?

yes you will, though I'm not sure that you won't have to pay for the privilege :)

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
You wouldn't need any extra harware to get the internet on the train. You'd need to pay for the WiFi itself, though.

My laptop's FOUR AND A HALF years old now, can't decide whether to get a NEW one.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Right - that's clinched it, I'm ordering it today (so I can stop starting annoying threads about it, if nothing else). Thanks very much everyone, much appreciated.

Man of Harveys said:
Just to clarify one thing: if I have that laptop and I sit on the "wifi" train, for example, can I use it to while away the 2mins it takes to get through the bottle neck at London Bridge thus saving the Market Porter from destruction?

Yes, yes you can.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Shit, how do you do that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here