Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rangers can they play in England?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Nonsense. By following existing rules, they are not "cutting their nose off to spite their face" in any way. If they were to bend the rules just to allow one club back in, then most fans of Scottish football clubs would turn their backs on the league, and rightly so. If Man Utd went bust and were parachuted back into the PL for the same reason, have a think about what the outcry would be on here, and amongst supporters of every other club in the country.

Indeed not. And that is partly the fault of the Old Firm. Their greed has ruined the game such that they have dictated the way TV contracts are negotiated and the 10-2 voting rule has blocked the (arguably) much needed restructuring of the game.

The difference being the Premier League isn't reliant on Man Utd for it's survival. The SPL does rely on both Rangers and Celtic being there. As I said previously I think they only way it could survive without either of them is if they both went.

Scottish football is dead regardless, this is just another nail in it's coffin as the other clubs are so far behind the old firm now it's embarrassing. I expect Celtic will have a combined Christmas and championship party this season. The only way it can move on is if the old firm leave, the natural place for them would be to play in England. Whether we'd want them or whether the fans would want to come south of the border is another question.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
It is not their fault that the rest of Scottish football cannot work out what to do with them.

That is not entirely accurate, I think. They have been rejected, and rightly so,
by SPL (as you said, it's a new club, so why should they start in the top division)
but they will probably be accepted by SFL. Scottish Football League clubs will vote
whether to accept Rangers on 13th July.

If SFL clubs vote against, then, I suppose, Rangers might consider a move to England.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Has nobody else noticed that this could lead to 2 Rangers, one in England and one in Scotland. As was pointed out in the link the original Rangers have not been officially wound up yet according to Companies House (can they be wound up while assets are still being sold to pay off debts?) and therefore can still be bought along with all the liabilities attached (possible huge HMRC bill and all the players contracts). If the newco started in div 3 in Scotland and the oldco transferred to the English league at around level 8 or 9. There is also the possible option the people looking to buy the oldco name also buy an English club in a higher level and "merge" the 2 clubs and move them to Glasgow.

I cant see this happening at all though as oldco no longer have a ground to play on as Ibrox has been sold to the newco, but get a money mad sheik involved and who knows what could happen

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
With their fanbase and the calibre of players they'd be able to attract, if they
moved to England, Celtic would rather have been a mid table premiership side,
eventually.

They can "rather" what they want but they'd be a mid table Championship side, not a Prem one. Compare their starting 11 to the likes of Liverpool or Spurs - they'd be destroyed by the top sides in the Premiership.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
They can "rather" what they want but they'd be a mid table Championship side, not a Prem one.
Compare their starting 11 to the likes of Liverpool or Spurs - they'd be destroyed by the top sides
in the Premiership.

You're quite right about Celtic's current starting 11, and that they look more like
a Championship side at the moment, but if you look closely at my post again, you
will notice that I wrote "eventually."

I probably made a grammar mistake though (this clumsy "would rather have been" bit),
hence the misunderstanding. I meant that, in the end, after some years in English leagues,
Celtic would (will have/would have?) become a Premiership side eventually.

Some people say English is easy - that's bollox. In Polish we have four tenses: teraźniejszy
(present), przeszły (past), przyszły (future) and zaprzeszły (sort of past perfect, I suppose,
it's very rarely used). In English there are 15 or so tenses so, for a Pole, English grammar
is extremely difficult to master.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
They can "rather" what they want but they'd be a mid table Championship side, not a Prem one. Compare their starting 11 to the likes of Liverpool or Spurs - they'd be destroyed by the top sides in the Premiership.

I agree at first they probably would be nothing more than a midtable Championship team. There is a lot more money sloshing around the English game, however, and I think that after a few seasons of the increased TV money coupled with their big gates they would inevitably muster together a much better team that they currently have which could project them to the same level as say, Villa.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It'd be monstrously unfair on Celtic if Rangers got into the English league.

Rangers f*** up their finances and get the chance to massively boost their potential earning by joining a superior league, leaving Celtuc trying to polish the eternal turd of the SPL.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I agree at first they probably would be nothing more than a midtable Championship team. There is a lot more money sloshing around the English game, however, and I think that after a few seasons of the increased TV money coupled with their big gates they would inevitably muster together a much better team that they currently have which could project them to the same level as say, Villa.

As we have seen with Liverpool and Spurs (and for a while Man City) it is incredibly hard to find a way into the "Big 4" of English football. But, given time, there is honestly no reason why Celtic or Rangers wouldn't become one of those elite clubs. Celtic already have the stadium and regular attendance, and Rangers could do if they expanded and had massive games each week. Both clubs already have bigger international fanbases than the likes of Spurs, and this is without the media attention from being in the Premiership.

I know I am a Celtic follower (but I wouldn't want to see them in England!), but I really think people are being very naive/underestimating if they don't see the potential size of the Glasgow clubs.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I am sure both sets of fan's from the Manchester clubs will be happy to see them in the Premiership after Rangers last visit to Manchester. Imagine the Rangers fan's running around English towns and cities tearing places up every other weekend. No thank you.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I just read that they would be allowed to play in England, under the reason that they played in the FA Cup many many moons ago and are recognised by the English FA. Is this true?

Dundee director Di Stefano has asked Duff and Phelps if he can buy the old rangers :mad: before they are wound up, as he has potential investors interested in them, but only if the can play in England.:dunce:

Aslo Gaza has asked to play for the new rangers side :ffsparr: :rave:
Are they still thinking about buying 1st division Bury and moving the club 200 miles North

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here