Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rangers can they play in England?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
love to see rangers down here,not celtic,they can go and play in ireland,there fans seem keen on the place

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hypothetically, you wonder how far down the divisions Rangers would be prepared to go to compete in England?

I'd expect the directors of the newco would bite your hand off if they were offered a place in League 2. I think they might even accept a place in the Conference.

There is a League Of Wales but we already have 3 Welsh teams. There is no mechanism for promotion or relegation between the English Football League. Therefore, from a purely English viewpoint I wouldn't have a problem with Rangers in England, just as I don't have a problem with Swansea in the Premiership or Cardiff in the FA Cup Final.

If the English option was viable then, in the long-term, this could be an opportunity for Rangers to get in before Celtic. If Celtic decided to follow Rangers to England then a precedent for entry level would have been set but Rangers will have had a head start.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Would be a big two fingered salute to decency and common sense to reward a cheating
club with a move to better league (I mean the English league structure in general, not that
conference is better than SPL).

I am struggling to see how they are cheating.

The business has gone bust, which is unfortunate, but happens. A new company using the name Rangers has been formed and they have accepted that they have to start off lower down the pyramid.

It is not their fault that the rest of Scottish football cannot work out what to do with them.

It is worth noting that Gretna were in the Northern League, before being admitted into the Scottish Football League, so it could work the other way, in theory.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
i would welcome Rangers in league 2 to start with , but how many lawsuits would follow from the Conference from teams potentially denied a place in League 2. For that reason i do not think it would happen .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am struggling to see how they are cheating.
I do agree with this.

It is not their fault that the rest of Scottish football cannot work out what to do with them.
It kind of is. Firstly, there are rules in place which mean they are a new club and should therefore start by applying to join the league at the bottom. That vote last week should never have needed to be taken, and the only reason it was is that Stuart Doncaster was telling anyone who would listen that if Rangers were out of the top flight for any period of time beyond a year could spell financial ruin for the game.

This all came about because Rangers and Celtic wanted more and more and more of the TV money, so the league was restructured to suit them, along with all the TV deals allowing the Old Firm to keep a significant part (too much) of the money. It seems they are now in a position that the other clubs need the scraps from the table in order to survive, and with Sky threatening to walk away it could prove disastrous.

And most of their fans now want the club to start in div 3, although mostly they want this so as to f*** up the SPL clubs. Apparently it is their fault that Rangers went bust and the clubs voted not to parachute the new club into SPL by 11 votes to 1, not Rangers football club.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I do agree with this.

It kind of is. Firstly, there are rules in place which mean they are a new club and should therefore start by applying to join the league at the bottom. That vote last week should never have needed to be taken, and the only reason it was is that Stuart Doncaster was telling anyone who would listen that if Rangers were out of the top flight for any period of time beyond a year could spell financial ruin for the game.

This all came about because Rangers and Celtic wanted more and more and more of the TV money, so the league was restructured to suit them, along with all the TV deals allowing the Old Firm to keep a significant part (too much) of the money. It seems they are now in a position that the other clubs need the scraps from the table in order to survive, and with Sky threatening to walk away it could prove disastrous.

And most of their fans now want the club to start in div 3, although mostly they want this so as to f*** up the SPL clubs. Apparently it is their fault that Rangers went bust and the clubs voted not to parachute the new club into SPL by 11 votes to 1, not Rangers football club.

Do not get me wrong, Rangers going bust is entirely Rangers fault, they lived beyond their means and Murray left them in a state and the guy that bought them was a chancer.

However the fact that administrators cannot make a decision about them is not Rangers fault.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To be fair, I think a lot of Rangers fans will want to start in their Division 3 because it's morally the right thing to do.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Do not get me wrong, Rangers going bust is entirely Rangers fault, they lived beyond their means and Murray left them in a state and the guy that bought them was a chancer.

However the fact that administrators cannot make a decision about them is not Rangers fault.
And I maintain that yes, yes it is. The reason there are people in Scottish football adminstration that are even entertaining parachuting them into the SPL or SFL1 is in part down to the TV contracts that have been signed, which heavily favoured the Old Firm.

To be fair, I think a lot of Rangers fans will want to start in their Division 3 because it's morally the right thing to do.
True. But the mongs on followfollow by and large don't appear to fall into that category.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Every club has its mongs, ours included. I daresay if a load of crooks had consigned the Albion to the dustbin leaving Palace the best team in the land and their fans gloating over our demise then I'd be spitting chips too.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Rangers and Celtic in a BPL would be amazing, with their share of the TV revenue they would absolutely be top 6 contenders. The competition at the top end would be immense. Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Celtic, Rangers...

Would be some amazing match-ups and Sky could go crazy over 'Battle of Britain' Super Sunday double headers.
:drool:
This would definitely make the premier league a lot more competitive..

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Would be a big two fingered salute to decency and common sense to reward a cheating
club with a move to better league (I mean the English league structure in general, not that
conference is better than SPL).

True, however the other SPL clubs have some what bit their nose to spite their face. Whether they like it or not the SPL needs both Celtic and Rangers or neither. If it was the latter then I don't think it could happen over night as the current clubs would need enough warning to cut their cloth accordingly.

The standard would drop to probably the same level as the 3rd division down here but at least it might be a bit more competitive.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
True, however the other SPL clubs have some what bit their nose to spite their face.
What, by following the existing rules? What is the point of having them if some clubs can ignore them because they are too big?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes basically..
Nonsense. By following existing rules, they are not "cutting their nose off to spite their face" in any way. If they were to bend the rules just to allow one club back in, then most fans of Scottish football clubs would turn their backs on the league, and rightly so. If Man Utd went bust and were parachuted back into the PL for the same reason, have a think about what the outcry would be on here, and amongst supporters of every other club in the country.

But without the old firm that league can't work in it's current state. I'm not saying it's right, just saying that is how it is.
Indeed not. And that is partly the fault of the Old Firm. Their greed has ruined the game such that they have dictated the way TV contracts are negotiated and the 10-2 voting rule has blocked the (arguably) much needed restructuring of the game.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I think they should be allowed in without question. However I think they would possibly struggle in the PL and remain comfortable in the Championship.
I'd like to see it happen to be honest. Squeeze in to League 2 next season :D

which would then spell the end of all our international teams as FIFa would then see us as a united kingdom

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here