Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] R.I.P Kris Kristofferson aka. Rubber Duck

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I always remember how protective he was towards Sinead O'Connor when she was being booed at the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary concert in response to her having torn up a photograph of the Pope two weeks earlier on Saturday Night Live.... The words he whispered into her ear were "Don't let the bastards get you down"...

He later wrote a song about the incident...

Last edited:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I always remember how protective he was towards Sinead O'Connor when she was being booed at the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary concert in response to her having torn up a photograph of the Pope two weeks earlier on Saturday Night Live.... The words he whispered into her ear were "Don't let the bastards get you down"...

He later wrote a song about the incident...

Shamefully, pretty much Sinead's only supporter that night. Summed him up for me.
& a genius of a songwriter

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One of my favourite American actors. That’s sad but he left a great legacy and 88 is a good age to die.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Shamefully, pretty much Sinead's only supporter that night. Summed him up for me.
& a genius of a songwriter
Yes, he was actually sent on stage to get her off but he refused and instead went on and gave her those words of encouragement.

His own career suffered for standing up for what he believed in after he did a concert in aid of Palestinian children.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Oh boy. One of my favourite actors. Firstly, I had no idea he wrote all those songs. Killing me Softly. WHAT! he wrote that song? I then heard about him and his then wife, Rita Coolidge, on OGWT, wow. Just put it up on 'best song' thread.
Convoy. Actually watched this a couple of weeks ago.
A Star is Born. My then GF loved this and I think we went to watch it over a dozen times.
Will be missed but his memories will live on.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Oh boy. One of my favourite actors. Firstly, I had no idea he wrote all those songs. Killing me Softly. WHAT! he wrote that song? I then heard about him and his then wife, Rita Coolidge, on OGWT, wow. Just put it up on 'best song' thread.
A Star is Born. My then GF loved this and I think we went to watch it over a dozen times.
I was extremely surprised to learn he wrote that song too after reading your post, so surprised I had to look it up to check.

Although, as you say, he wrote a lot of songs, he didn't actually write that particular one. It was written by Charles Cox and Norman Gimbel.

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware that he even sang it.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I was extremely surprised to learn he wrote that song too after reading your post, so surprised I had to look it up to check.

Although, as you say, he wrote a lot of songs, he didn't actually write that particular one. It was written by Charles Cox and Norman Gimbel.

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware that he even sang it.
I really hope not, it‘s my most hated song that’s get switched off like the equivalently dirgy songs Mull of Kintyre, Let it be and Hey Jude as soon as they come on the radio :lolol:

Killing Me Softly is my all time number one hated song though!

Last edited:

North Carolina Supporter

American Seagull
NSC Patron
RIP - quite a life… shunned a military career that his father and family pushed… published essays in The Atlantic at 17?! Rhodes Scholar… leaves an academic career path for Nashville to write country music songs… takes up acting and wins an Oscar?! somehow maintained a humbleness and sense of humor throughout. Well done, Kris!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
RIP Rubber Duck. One the best trucking movies ever.

Me and Bobby McGee is an absolute classic. Unless loudly slurred in an all-you-can-drink Naka Meguro karaoke bar :wink:

RIP Kris.

Last edited:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
He didn't write Killing me softly. Responsible for a big bunch of other classics though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here