Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Questions for refs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can somebody explain why the assistant referees change over at half time.

Yesterday Forster was getting no joy from the asst ref in the first half who pulled him up for many dubious offsides and fouls. In the 2nd half the ast refs swopped sides which meant that the same one was watching the BHA attack again and the one following Southends attack was much more lenient and gave the advantage to the attacker, hence their 2nd goal.

Would it not make more sense if they patrolled the same area for both halves thus having the BHA attack for one half and then Southend's attack for the 2nd half.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I thought that it was the referees perogative to decide whether they swapped over, usually they don't.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's the referee's decision as to whether they change or not, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

On the one hand, if they stay the same, then both sides get the benefit or otherwise of their ineptitude.

On the other, if they change, then at least both sides of the ground get to dish out abuse.

The white one was absolutely NOWHERE for one suspicious offside of ours - I couldn't blame their defenders for looking at him beseechingly and in amazement!

The odd thing is, he then wagged his head as if he was knowledgeably dismissing their claims - when he was clearly nowhere NEAR the place to have seen and judged the play!

Dodgy, in my opinion, but in the end the officials got away lightly - with nothing too controversial happening to reveal any glaring inadequacies.

One can certainly point to the ref as lenient towards some of the tackles, but generally by letting play continue, he also covered a multitude of sins.
Southend were fairly agricultural in trying to dominate away from home, which may work for them at some games.

Last edited:

JSD Albion

Jul 17, 2003
Burgess Hill
Some linos prefer to swap sides at half time, partly because they've got used to the pattern of play and partly because they don't like changing the colour they're watching for offside.

The white one was absolutely NOWHERE for one suspicious offside of ours - I couldn't blame their defenders for looking at him beseechingly and in amazement!

The odd thing is, he then wagged his head as if he was knowledgeably dismissing their claims - when he was clearly nowhere NEAR the place to have seen and judged the play!

Dodgy, in my opinion, but in the end the officials got away lightly - with nothing too controversial happening to reveal any glaring inadequacies.

One can certainly point to the ref as lenient towards some of the tackles, but generally by letting play continue, he also covered a multitude of sins.
Southend were fairly agricultural in trying to dominate away from home, which may work for them at some games.

If it's the same 2nd half incident that we saw from D block then our 'offside' player wasn't interfering with play - hence no flag.

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
As a referee, I can answer this. And most of you are correct, it is up to the referee on the day. If he has a particularly more experienced guy on the line he can decide to put them "benchside" all game, and send the other guy, the other side all game. This is usually the norm and you can find out who the senior linesman is, by looking at the colour of their.....FLAG. If its red, their senior, and they will come on, if the referee becomes injured. Other referees may however, decide to chop and change and give both linesmen the same team for the whole game. Hope this has cleared up any confusion :thumbsup:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
So if one linesman has given a crap decision in the first half, and is getting earache from one set of fans as a result, can he ASK the ref to be switched over?

Yes, I did that once but the fans moved with me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here