Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Questions about HASTINGS

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just been offered a job there which would mean relocating to Hastings.

Does anyone on here live there?

What are hosue prices like (rental value for one or two bedroom places in decent area)?

Is it a decent place?

Nights out in town any good?

Train time to Brighton?

cheers

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
3 words

total shit hole.

Go for it

Richie Morris said:

Think The Great Cornholio might.

Richie Morris said:
What are hosue prices like (rental value for one or two bedroom places in decent area)?

Cheap I should think, becasue it's HORRIBLE.

Richie Morris said:
Is it a decent place?

No.

Richie Morris said:

No.

Richie Morris said:
Train time to Brighton?

Just over an hour.

Move to EASTBOURNE, which is only about 15 miles along the coast, between Hastings and Brighton. A far nicer town. :thumbsup:

Richie Morris said:

Is it a decent place?

Train time to Brighton?

cheers

Used to

probably cheap-ish due to the above reasons.

No it's NOT!

Don't chat up any women on a night out. Probably some drug dealers "property".

About an hour and a bit. One stop past Gods waiting room, Bexhill-on-Sea.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
its great here. we can afford to buy because its not london prices, we got the sea, country, 1hr 30mins to London, 1 hour to brighton, some social problems eg drugs etc, but so has brighton. good club for indie stuff in the crypt, but not a very big gay scene

I do indeed and we are moving back to Eastbourne in a few weeks - that should tell you everything you need to know.

House prices have risen in the last few years, hence out move. It's not that cheap although the market is quiet at the moment.

As for nightlife, not really a clubbing person but I understand it is very rough on a Saturday night - one of the bouncers used to live 2 doors away. A lot of the town centre pubs are real dives. And in the summer, half of East London comes down on holidays - the seafront becomes chav central.

The train to Brighton takes about 70 minutes - you have to go into Eastbourne and back out again which adds to the time.

If you do decide to move here, avoid St Leonards and large parts of Ore. St Leonards is druggie town and Ore has large council flat type conurbations

On the plus side, large amounts are being spent on redevleloping the town - bust most of it seems to have been spent on worthless lights for the seafront. And it is getting a University which make change the town - but who knows which way.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I like the lights on Stleoanrds seafront, especially after Ive scored some acid and its kicked in, then i go back to chavvy Ore to get pissed and fight

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Stinky Kat said:
I like the lights on Stleoanrds seafront, especially after Ive scored some acid and its kicked in, then i go back to chavvy Ore to get pissed and fight

West St Leonards the place to be:thumbsup:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I wouldn't want to live there. It's worse than Brighton! ;)

Hastings is on the UP - it reached rock bottom about five years ago, but is recovering rapidly.

House prices in Hastings went up 9 per cent in the last quarter, compared with 5.6% in Eastbourne and 3.3% in Brighton & Hove and a fall of 1.1% in Worthing.

But it's still the cheapest place to buy property in the whole of Sussex.

HASTINGS:-
Average Cost: £151,585
Detached: £264,436
Semi-detached: £172,496
Terraced: £144,329
Flat: £89,836

BRIGHTON & HOVE:-
Average Cost: £218,600
Detached: £364,664
Semi-detached: £252,662
Terraced: £250,278
Flat: £159,349

deano5

Dec 17, 2004
eb
hastings is a dump.you could move to bexhill but its expensive,full of old people,and there is f*** all to do.:shrug:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Lord Bracknell said:
Hastings is on the UP - it reached rock bottom about five years ago, but is recovering rapidly.

House prices in Hastings went up 9 per cent in the last quarter, compared with 5.6% in Eastbourne and 3.3% in Brighton & Hove and a fall of 1.1% in Worthing.

But it's still the cheapest place to buy property in the whole of Sussex.

and we rock!

Richie Morris said:

The Hastings newspaper is the only paper, including nationals, where I've ever been turned down for a job :blush:

Bravo Richie ;) :thumbsup: :clap2:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Didn't Hastings have a reputation for the highest levels of unemployment in the south of England, and that in a county where there is little need to be out of work, what does that say about the local economy or indeed those who live there?

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
I lived there (well in a village just outside called Sedlescombe if anyone has ever heard of it) between the ages of 5 and 18, which I guess are pretty much my formative years.

I've got to say Richie, from the little I know about you and your interests (football, going to gigs, walking through town without getting stabbed etc.) you will f***ing HATE it there. Its not a nice place. I used to stick up for it when I lived there, because it received a hell of a lot of bad press due to a few high profile murders (one of which is about to enter its THIRD re-trial) and, in fairness, it is NOT AS BAD as people make out, however that is more because they make it out to be a cross between Beirut and hell.

About the size of Worthing but with a smackhead problem the size of Brighton (due to the phenominal number of drug rehab clinics there), it is not somewhere to go for a strol of an evening. If you EVER find yourself in the St. Leonards Warrior Square area at night, just get in the first taxi you see and tell them to take you somewhere, ANYwhere else! Hastings has a lot of social problems and very few redeeming features. The old town does have a reasonable selection of pubs, certainly enough to enjoy a crawl, but other than that going out is hardly worth the effort.

There are about 3 clubs I believe, one of which is the aforementioned Crypt which would probably stand out as the most enjoyable to go to, but it is tiny, smells funny and you would tire of it instantly. The other 'main' club is in the old town area and is currently called 'Waves' (previously called 'the G Spot' :snigger:, but closed due to a crackdown on underage drinking.) Its inhabited by the same losers every week, I went to school with half of them, who are just content to stay in Hastings for their whole lives with their bastard offspring, mastering the art of benefit fraud. I would venture that, were a survey to be carried out, Hastings would have the highest incidence of adults having not travelled on a plane in the South of England. It is sad, but they just don't wish to see anything, probably don't even realise it is out there even.

I was there a couple of weekends ago for a friend's wedding. After the reception, a few of us decided to go to 'Waves', as it is now called, for old times sake. Each one of us got asked independently at least once by different people 'why are you in suits?', upon replying that we had been at a wedding, every single one of us was asked, in all seriousness, 'was it yours?' That, I'm afraid, says it all.

EDIT oh, and yes house prices are cheap, dirt cheap, but you pay for what you get. If you were to want to live there, I'd suggest 'the Ridge', and places leading off it (Elphinstone Road for example, which is where Hastings United's pitch is) as being your best bet.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here