Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Why are there so few black Brighton & Hove Albion supporters?

This isn't intended as a racist thread, I just wonder why all other teams seem to have a fair few and we don't. Quite a lot were walking out of the home end at Sixfields the other night for example.

Is Brighton & Hove one of the less populated areas for different races? It doesn't seem that way...

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I was having this conversation in the pub after the last game with some other Albion fans, as it seemed so weird that a city as multicultural as Brighton had so few ethnic minority supporters

We Thought it was less than 1 in 20 were of ethnic minority, and came to the conclusion that there was an ethlic clensing program starting in the late 70s from Lewes which saw to the blacks and other races disappear:jester:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The 2001 Census claims that 4.6% of the English population is black. Brighton & Hove has a figure of 1.6%.

We also have a poplation that is 94.3% white (South East - 95.1%) as opposed to the national average of 90.9%.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The 2001 Census claims that 4.6% of the English population is black. Brighton & Hove has a figure of 1.6%.

We also have a poplation that is 94.3% white (South East - 95.1%) as opposed to the national average of 90.9%.

Easy to be liberal about immigration etc and claim to be "multicultural" if you don't have to live with the issues large ethnic populations can cause.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
This could go on for ages...

But, think of clubs like Luton. Based in areas of high ethnic minority population. I don't remember seeing a representative ethnic balance in the home support. In fact, there was a number of EM children playing football in the street outside the stadium. They were clearly interested in playing the sport, but not in watching it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Very true, CP. Although you could generalise and say that ethnic minorities in various cities tend to face greater levels of poverty and they are priced out of the market?

Easy to be liberal about immigration etc and claim to be "multicultural" if you don't have to live with the issues large ethnic populations can cause.

Indeed. I wonder how liberal Brighton would be if it were inundated with immigrants.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

So there are less then, but that's still a fairly big proportion.

Just seem odd that most of the time there are more black people on the pitch than in a crowd of 6000.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Very true, CP. Although you could generalise and say that ethnic minorities in various cities tend to face greater levels of poverty and they are priced out of the market?

Indeed. I wonder how liberal Brighton would be if it were inundated with immigrants.

Also, there are less cultural ties. For example; Albion supporters are often inducted by their parents, or gain an interest at a young age. If you only came to this country in 1995, you won't have that cultural tie to your local team. There is no supporting heritage, nor a particular love for your new home town. The most likely thing is that you would support a popular, more famous team (if at all).

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
As an ethnic minority myself and regular to both home and away games, I only ever see one other person of ethnic minority that goes to the games on a regular basis.

There should be more, and maybe an untapped resource for the money man to look into to get more people through the turnstyles?

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
not many black people live in Sussex, in my whole time at school in Lancing there was only ever 2 black people in any of my classes.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
As an ethnic minority myself and regular to both home and away games, I only ever see one other person of ethnic minority that goes to the games on a regular basis.

There should be more, and maybe an untapped resource for the money man to look into to get more people through the turnstyles?

Yeh there should be something done about it, but im not really sure how it could be done.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I have lived within a large ethnic population, having lived in London for 16 years and still claim to be liberal. What issues are you talking about?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

.......I presume from that you mean they smell of curry and don't wash very often, and are all potential terrorists of course too.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
.......I presume from that you mean they smell of curry and don't wash very often, and are all potential terrorists of course too.

You speak like me :thumbsup:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I was having this conversation in the pub after the last game with some other Albion fans, as it seemed so weird that a city as multicultural as Brighton had so few ethnic minority supporters

We Thought it was less than 1 in 20 were of ethnic minority, and came to the conclusion that there was an ethlic clensing program starting in the late 70s from Lewes which saw to the blacks and other races disappear:jester:

hahahaha no its not multicultural. where on earth do you get that from.

1066gull

Because Sussex is a stubborn, ignorant, selfish, rude, stuck up place to live.

We always complain and mock the north, but at least they're far more social and integrated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here