Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Question Time In Brighton: 14th November 2019

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The Green Party is prominent in Brighton because of the student element and and is not supported anywhere else in the Uk in such numbers. FWIW I do not support the Brexit party and my life and existence doesnt rely on a non consequential party There is much more to living on Sussex

there are no students in the rest of the country? :ffsparr:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Chris would have been used to it, if he posted on here.

[tweet]1195379305498468352[/tweet]

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Chris would have been used to it, if he posted on here.

[tweet]1195379305498468352[/tweet]

spot on.... still waiting after asking 7 times on this forum what are the tangible benefits of leaving - zero responses which i take means there are none just some yappy leavers crowing we won. If it isn't all about hate then why don't they don't they articulate a cogent response?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
spot on.... still waiting after asking 7 times on this forum what are the tangible benefits of leaving - zero responses which i take means there are none just some yappy leavers crowing we won. If it isn't all about hate then why don't they don't they articulate a cogent response?

Do you believe there are tangible benefits then?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Do you believe there are tangible benefits then?

I don't see that there are tangible benefits for the vast majority. Clearly there are financial benefits for a very small elite and that is why the ERG is pushing for it.

One individual did respond saying they did not like the idea of being ruled by European law but could not point to any examples of 'bad' laws that had been enforced and remember we (UK) also voted for them.

A lot of people say they want Britain to be 'Great' again whilst forgetting we were the 'sick man of Europe' in the early 70's. Maybe they think we can re-invade places like India and West Africa and rebuild the empire. As part of the EU we have been punching above our weight as an economy , one key factor being the way we provide financial services to the EU. That will go as the EU will develop its own.

I do understand that people feel threatened by competition in the labour force though the conservative government has been stating the very low figures on unemployment.Let's be clear in a free market economy the Tory government will seek to get the cheapest labour and that includes removing any workers rights. If they don't get them from Europe there are loads of other places that will supply.

I don't believe the EU is perfect, far from it but I do believe that in this modern world of globalisation that we stand more chance working with our close neighbours rather than isolating ourselves.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

I suspect it is because, like your post indicates, this whole thing is so decisive and subject to extreme views and language on each side that it’s just not worth putting your head above the parapet for fear of it being blown off.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I don't see that there are tangible benefits for the vast majority. Clearly there are financial benefits for a very small elite and that is why the ERG is pushing for it.

One individual did respond saying they did not like the idea of being ruled by European law but could not point to any examples of 'bad' laws that had been enforced and remember we (UK) also voted for them.

A lot of people say they want Britain to be 'Great' again whilst forgetting we were the 'sick man of Europe' in the early 70's. Maybe they think we can re-invade places like India and West Africa and rebuild the empire. As part of the EU we have been punching above our weight as an economy , one key factor being the way we provide financial services to the EU. That will go as the EU will develop its own.

I do understand that people feel threatened by competition in the labour force though the conservative government has been stating the very low figures on unemployment.Let's be clear in a free market economy the Tory government will seek to get the cheapest labour and that includes removing any workers rights. If they don't get them from Europe there are loads of other places that will supply.

I don't believe the EU is perfect, far from it but I do believe that in this modern world of globalisation that we stand more chance working with our close neighbours rather than isolating ourselves.

Thank you for taking the time to write this, my feelings are that you feel very strongly about this and any apparent tangible benefits that were put up you’ll just rebuke. [emoji106]

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I suspect it is because, like your post indicates, this whole thing is so decisive and subject to extreme views and language on each side that it’s just not worth putting your head above the parapet for fear of it being blown off.

Or because there simply are no benefits.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this, my feelings are that you feel very strongly about this and any apparent tangible benefits that were put up you’ll just rebuke. [emoji106]

I do feel strongly about it and as time go on feel stronger about it because no one can come up with tangible reasons for leaving. It leaves me to think that its all about raw emotion and than is not a good basis to make this sort of decision.

A friend of mine who is an electrician voted to leave as he believes the the building industry has too many Europeans working there , so take the Europeans out and then what happens ? a) there is less building work done b) non Europeans are drafted in c) Miraculously we find 100k tradesmen who come from the uk?

a) is possible b) is likely c) is unlikely, especially when you factor in the 200k starter homes that have not been built and won't be built as there are not enough tradesmen.

I re-iterate the EU is not perfect , far from it but a Tory government won't solve the issues .

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have said it from the get go.
The vast majority of leavers voted without having any tangible reason why.
They are going to send this country down the tubes thanks to their ignorance.
Brexit must be stopped or at the very least a 2nd referendum.
But it would not surprise me that our stupid and stubborn public vote to leave again.
These idiots fell hook, line and sinker for the lies of Johnson and Farage and their pals.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But it would not surprise me that our stupid and stubborn public vote to leave again.
These idiots fell hook, line and sinker for the lies of Johnson and Farage and their pals.

My analogy on Brexit is like a clown running away from the circus.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You say rebuke, we say rebut.

I could be wrong but I suspect you don't actually know any tangible benefits!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I actually believe the vast majority of leave voters* knew exactly what they voted for. You hear them a lot telling anyone who will listen about it time and time again. They voted on one single aspect to Brexit (and to hell with the rest), they voted to end free movement of people (Europeans) into this country. That is why they are not interested in any of the leave campaign lies being debunked or the grim Brexit economic outlooks that have been forecasted. They are not interested in disaster capitalists from the leave side making millions betting against our economy, they simply don’t care that Putin & Trump are desperate to divide and conquer Britain out of the EU and have both influenced our politics for years in order to meet their ends. They are not interested in the 74,000 EU nationals who work in our NHS or the NHS at all for that matter as it gets dumped on to the bargaining table in front of a dribbling Trump like one of Epstein’s gals. They just want an end to immigration.

This is what ‘leave means leave’ really means.

(*I do admit that around 5 million or so leavers must have voted on more than ending free movement, there are some interesting ideas and benefits expressed but none that could justify tanking our economy and position in geo-politics so spectacularly.)

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
....and there in one post, neatly packaged, is why most leavers will not change their minds. Condescending remain attitudes, blithely labelling all leavers as ignorant idiots...... that's why they dont care if they had a reason in the first place or not, they have simply hardened their position and wont be swayed by middle class abuse and snowflakery.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
....and there in one post, neatly packaged, is why most leavers will not change their minds. Condescending remain attitudes, blithely labelling all leavers as ignorant idiots...... that's why they dont care if they had a reason in the first place or not, they have simply hardened their position and wont be swayed by middle class abuse and snowflakery.
Very accurately summarised. I would substitute 'contemptuous' for 'condescending' though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

It's those nasty remainer's fault. They took the piss, and it made me so angry I had to vote leave again.

So even if we do leave, and it all goes up shit creek, it will still be someone else's fault.

But still no benefits :shrug:

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

As the adage goes, it is far easier to fool someone, than to convince someone they've been fooled.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

His was indeed a decent post, that you rightly applaud for taking the time to politely set out his position.

Your's is an absolutely pathetic response, which lays bare what we all know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here