Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for you oldies...

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
How did you get into supporting Brighton? As far as I can see, at the moment the main core of youngsters that support Brighton do so through their parents/siblings. They have been brought up supporting the club. Yet the impression I get from older fans is that Brighton chose them - going to the Goldstone breaded the club into their blood, it acted as a drug that kept luring them back.

That just doesn’t happen anymore does it? Not just with Brighton but with lower-league clubs all over the country, the enticement of the Premier League is hard to compete with. It's what induces youngsters in now - not the buzz of popping down the road to watch your local side. Do you agree?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Nearest team to where I lived and first live game I ever went to.

It's in your blood after that and my parents had no interest at all in footie.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My grandad took me to The Goldstone when I was 3 years old ,so I am told, and then as a young lad about 8 or 9 years old I used to go and watch Worthing in the old Corinthian league one saturday and Brighton at home the next. It wa safe for a young person to travel on the trains unaccompanied in those days. When i was about 13 years old me and my friend, who some on here may remember Terry Tribe, bunked the train to a cup replay at The Den. The bug had got me.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Which youngsters voluntarily pay to put themselves through the 'withdean experience'. I go to every game when im in Brighton out of duty but face facts it's shit.

im in a horrid mood today

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I actually think for youngsters (well, teenagers really) after a PROPER football experience you have to go a long way to beat the lower leagues / non league.

Players you can associate with; some players you went to school with; sense of community and pride in your town; TERRACES; and your support is valued rather than being a faceless cash cow.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
It is shit at Withdean and that's why I struggle to see how we can attract younger supportes who have no connection to Brighton but enjoy football. I'm getting pretty fed up with it in all honesty, I've got a season ticket, but when I'm at the game I end up pissing around with my mates more than watching it these days.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I go and watch Horsham sometimes when the Albion are away and I can't be arsed to go. Last season (not so much now they are in exile at Worthing) they were getting loads of teenage lads going to home games.

When I was younger a big gang of us used to go to all the Horsham home games.

I think kids will look to their home-town sides throughout Sussex perhaps more than Brighton these days as watching Eastbourne, Hastings, Lewes, Horsham et al is often more appealing and EASIER than planning in advance a trip to Withdean.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
I actually think for youngsters (well, teenagers really) after a PROPER football experience you have to go a long way to beat the lower leagues / non league.

Players you can associate with; some players you went to school with; sense of community and pride in your town; TERRACES; and your support is valued rather than being a faceless cash cow.

The lower league experience is quality...throughout my schooldays used to love doing away games with loads of mates, getting the train, getting pissed, having a laugh, going to some shed of a ground with good atmosphere. It's a quality day out and didnt even cost us much. Its just i dont think as many kids will get into it while we're at withdean its just a strange place not a proper football experience.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2

been hit with a buch of essays i cant be arsed to write. its cold up here. we ended carlisles losing streak yeaterday. my floormates have been away for the weekend and im bored. my roast dinner didnt come with gravy today :censored:

how you doing beach hut? got any northern away days planned?

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
1st game went to with my dad. when he couldnt take me one of his mates used to take me and my brother. used to also go with my mum and one of her friends. went through a man utd phase when young but it didnt last thank f***.

ps i am not an oldie at 37...!!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
been hit with a buch of essays i cant be arsed to write. its cold up here. we ended carlisles losing streak yeaterday. my floormates have been away for the weekend and im bored. my roast dinner didnt come with gravy today :censored:

how you doing beach hut? got any northern away days planned?

Next year, definitely Hudders and Scuny so hopefully we can meet up.

Text me if you are home for Xmas

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Started going with my dad on the east terrace. I then graduated to the Northstand with my mates. I am not sure that I would of had the same passion if I was going to withdean

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Got taken by my parents before i could walk and for years after.

Never even considered any other team even through all the ups and downs Brighton is 10 times the club any premiershite team ever was or will be until we get there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I didn't get catch the football bug as early as some but had to support my local team. Although, I believe, my dad had been to the goldstone, it was my eldest Sis (a Hammers regular) who took me to my 1st game and my eldest brother who took me to my next. After that it was usually me & my other sis who went every home game.

Fortunatly the bug spread and I've made sure my lot are Albion fans and have a brother and 3 nephews who are fellow NSC posters.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008

Dead.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Nearest decent team to where I grew up, most kids at school seemed to follow the Albion, it seemed rude not to join them.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
A mate of mine used to go. I used to go to matches at Chelsea, somewhere in Croydon (whatever that was):eek: and my local team which is Redhill then my mate suggested I went to the Albion. I went and then he stopped going and the rest is history. Had a few years supporting Villa one week and the Albion the next but that got too expensive so I continued supporting the Albion. I still like going to games where I have no feelings either for or against either side just so that I can appreciate the football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here