Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for a referee

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Yesterday at Eastbourne Boroughs game a player shoots at goal and his teammate is standing in an offside position (not in anyway in the keepers view)
The keeper blocks the shot and it rolls away a few yards to the side . The player who was in an offside position at the original shot runs to the ball but the keeper knocks the ball onto the foward and it goes in the goal.
Question is if a keeper touches the ball twice does it mean the foward is not now offside??

Jul 7, 2003
swindon, wilts
As soon as the player, who was standing in the offside position, goes towards the ball he becomes "active" and is deemed to be offside. You cannot be played onside by a deflection

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I was at the game yesterday, and he wasn't offside, but still, on that theory, yes he's offside. That that referee bloody inconsistent!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Offside IMO. Stops you shooting from 80 yards and having 6 of your players goal hang just incase the keeper parries it, surely?

I know in this situation the original striker hits it, but the keeper wouldn't need to scramble the ball away if the offside player wasn't in that position in the first place.

Last edited:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Yesterday at Eastbourne Boroughs game a player shoots at goal and his teammate is standing in an offside position (not in anyway in the keepers view)
The keeper blocks the shot and it rolls away a few yards to the side . The player who was in an offside position at the original shot runs to the ball but the keeper knocks the ball onto the foward and it goes in the goal.
Question is if a keeper touches the ball twice does it mean the foward is not now offside??

He is Offside. 100%.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The law:
offside lotg.jpg
(hover over/click to enlarge, click again to open in window to enlarge to full size)

The definition
offside lotg definition.jpg
(hover over/click to enlarge, click again to open in window to enlarge to full size)

I believe that last definition is your answer.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Without reading the laws above, I would say that if the keeper merely parries a shot and it goes to the striker who was in an offside position when the original shot was taken, then he is offside.
But if the keeper has control of the ball then drops it at the striker's feet then he cannot in any way be offside.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Without reading the laws above, I would say that if the keeper merely parries a shot and it goes to the striker who was in an offside position when the original shot was taken, then he is offside.
But if the keeper has control of the ball then drops it at the striker's feet then he cannot in any way be offside.

But if he drops it, did he really have it under control?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Rules is Rules

High brow: I am inclined to agree with Brian Clough. If the player on the pitch is not interfering with play, what is he doing on the pitch ?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
High brow: I am inclined to agree with Brian Clough. If the player on the pitch is not interfering with play, what is he doing on the pitch ?

Waiting to be belted in the guts by his drunken-schnozzled manager, if he was in Clough's team and didn't put in an appearance that game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here