Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

question for a referee

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
When we see a player who is fouled or they think they are fouled grab the ball after they fall down, shurely it should be handball if the ref hasn't blown for a foul before he picks it up??
More often than not if a player goes over and grabs the ball they always give the foul blowing the whistle afterwards.
Surely the game is live until the whistle is blown??

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
alot of the time when you see it on tv before the whitle is blown you A) see the lino wave his flag loads to indicate a freekick or b) say something to the ref over the mic .... im not a ref but thats just what I see on tv.

When we see a player who is fouled or they think they are fouled grab the ball after they fall down, shurely it should be handball if the ref hasn't blown for a foul before he picks it up??
More often than not if a player goes over and grabs the ball they always give the foul blowing the whistle afterwards.

I'm not a referee, but the foul (if it is given) occurred before the handball offence, so that would be the first offence and that is what the free kick would be given for. There are exceptions (such as serious foul play, where a player can be penalised for the offence after the ball is dead), but handball is one of the many offences that can only be penalised when the game is 'live', and as soon as the first offence is committed any later offence ignored.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
a foul is not confirmed by the whistle being blown. The whilst is just there so players and spectators can hear something is being done so to speak. In the same way you do not have to show red or yellow cards to issue a caution.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If you're going to give the foul, no problem, the fact the whistle is yet to be blown is nothing but a mere technicality. The foul (handball) would be after the foul first committed to cause the player to handball it, and thus you give the free kick for the first offence (the tackle). Is that clear or have I confused you all?

I'm a qualified referee and that's my take on it, pretty sure there isn't a dead set rule on the issue, but they'll be one in much better English for situations where 2 fouls occur in the same instance etc.

Lots of things happen after an infraction and before the ref has blown his whistle.
By that token, would you say a goal that's scored before the ref has blown for a foul committed should stand?

Well then, there's your answer.
And I have seen players carded for grabbing the ball, when the ref hasn't blown - because he has decided that there was no foul and the handling was out of order.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Talking of refs i thought he was rather good today.

Good? In what way good ? Cardiff got away with a lot today - certain red card when Barnes (?) was pulled down in first half - blatant time wasting not addressed by ref and Buckley appeared to be struck in face over by East Stand ?

Personally I thought he was poor and weak.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Good? In what way good ? Cardiff got away with a lot today - certain red card when Barnes (?) was pulled down in first half - blatant time wasting not addressed by ref and Buckley appeared to be struck in face over by East Stand ?

Personally I thought he was poor and weak.

It was as he booked a cardiff player early in the second half and that tended to stop the stupid hold ups.

As for the other incidents not really. He got all the major decisons right.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Totally agree.

Let the game flow by playing the advantage wherever possible and waved loads of nonsense away too. Definitely not one of those 'look at me' refs that seem to plague the game these days.

Another rule that often needs to be illustrated, is the offside rule

64040_3149520711294_1663398754_2523359_474017683_n.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here