Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Queens Tennis - Draper vs Alcaraz

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Anybody watching on BBC 2 the great British hope trying to go toe to toe with the Wimbledon and French open champion?

Doing OK but I fear he is being seriously overhyped by the commentators. Hopefully not though as Murray is done and Norrie has probably peaked

Currently 2-2 in the first set

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Wowser. To paraphrase that famous quote: 'Tennis, f-ing tennis. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive bastards.'

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
A little bit under the radar (as we all know tennis doesn't exist in the UK media aside from Wimbledon), but Jack Draper has just reached the US Open semi-finals.

And in some style: "Draper has still not dropped a set and has conceded just 36 games, the fifth fewest dropped en route to the US Open semi-finals over the last 40 years."

Impressive – can he make it further?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Funny enough that Alcaraz win at queens club was the catalyst for this run, gave Jack the confidence and belief he could go toe to toe with the ‘big boys’ and come out on top. Hugely impressive against ADM last night. Composed and clinical. Now for the real acid test.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
A little bit under the radar (as we all know tennis doesn't exist in the UK media aside from Wimbledon), but Jack Draper has just reached the US Open semi-finals.

And in some style: "Draper has still not dropped a set and has conceded just 36 games, the fifth fewest dropped en route to the US Open semi-finals over the last 40 years."

If he beats Sinner and gets to the final we can probably say we have Murray‘s successor up and running. Another Murray not another choker Henman please.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
If he beats Sinner and gets to the final we can probably say we have Murray‘s successor up and running. Another Murray not another choker Henman please.
Not sure it’s as black and white as that. Sinner is current world number 1 and deservedly so. Not sure I would be calling Draper a ‘choker’ if he loses to him. Draper clearly is Murray’s successor he’s proved that this season.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

He was 22/1 before last Sunday's match. Generous odds indeed. However, I fully expect world number one Jannik Sinner to take care of him tomorrow night. It could be quite a chastening defeat as well.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Not sure it’s as black and white as that. Sinner is current world number 1 and deservedly so. Not sure I would be calling Draper a ‘choker’ if he loses to him. Draper clearly is Murray’s successor he’s proved that this season.
I did not mean in this match, just generally as Tiger Tim never made a Grand Slam final in his career did he?

I will be stunned if Draper beats Sinner but it’s a great first step to be a contender in his first Grand Slam semi.

We are not going to argue about the fact that Henman choked in Grand Slam semis are we?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Wish we had a few more 'chokers' like Henman. Regularly making Grand Slam semi-finals and a mainstay in the Top 10.
Really? Losing EVERY Grand Slam semi final is bloody annoying!

The one vs Ivanisivic, a wild card in the tournament at Wimbledon, was the worst

If it’s OK to call Leeds United and Derby County chokers on here, why not tennis players???

If I thought there was any chance Henman read NSC, I would not have posted it though!

Last edited:

SpongebobSquarepants

Jun 16, 2006
Sunny Worthing
Annoying yes, but how do you think he won every QF to get to the SF, surely he would of choked earlier.
And Ivanisivich won the title that year, so I assume the guy he beat in Final choked too?

Henman was incredibly successful compared to pretty much every other player we have produced in last 30 years.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Henman wasn't a choker - he just wasn't the very, very best. He reached 8 grand slam semis including 4 at Wimbeldon, which is exceptional.

He only really choked once, in that he had only one very winnable semi match at Wimbledon. In 1998 and 1999 lost to world #1, Pete Sampras. In 2002 he lost to #1 seed Leyton Hewitt.

Only in 2001 did he really choke and that is arguable: he should have beaten Ivanisevic at 2-1 and 6-6 in the 4th but his rhythm was disrupted when they came back after a rain delay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here