Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Queen & Paul Rodgers

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Tuning into Capital Gold last night i discovered that Queen & Paul Rodgers (live at Hyde Park) was on. I only caught the end (Bohemian Rhapsody, All Right Now, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, God Save The Queen), but I have to say I was well impressed.

Ok, Rodgers will never come close to Freddie, and many don't feel they should have toured without him. I, at first thought it was a bad idea. However, the performance of Bohemian Rhapsody i felt was STUNNING. Not trying to emulate Freddie, Rodgers performed half the track, with Mercurys voice doing the other half. Great stuff i thought! (the track performed at Rotterdam can be downloaded on their official site.)

Anyway I just thought i'd tell NSC. The idea of Rodgers and Queen was slaughtered on here before, but if there are any Queen fans sceptical or curious i feel you should give a few downloads a try.

Looking forward to the DVD!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Albion Dan said:
Its just plain wrong imo having Queen with a different singer. :nono:

All about opinions i guess, as you say.
I never experienced Mercury when he was alive, so that's probably why i haven't got a problem with it. At the end of the day, it's good music to me! :)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Soton Seagull said:
Queen are evil, couldn't they have disbanded after Freddie popped off.

Bloody wedding reception music:angry:
:thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Oops, didn't mean to start a Queen haters thread!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Rogers is a good singer, you youngsters should check out some tracks by Free or Bad Company.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
i love queen. but i see them with paul rogers as glorified kareoke

Crap - Rodgers is every bit as good as Mercury, in fact much better imo as a singer.

The fact that Queen WAS Freddy Mercury makes it sad that they have to continue, but knocking Paul Rodgers is a cheap shot.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Icy Gull said:
Crap - Rodgers is every bit as good as Mercury, in fact much better imo as a singer.

The fact that Queen WAS Freddy Mercury makes it sad that they have to continue, but knocking Paul Rodgers is a cheap shot.

im not knocking him in anyway what so ever.

put it like this, if the 'beatles 'reformed' with mcartney and star and then two other blokes from another band i would have the same opinion.

its not queen without freddie in my opinion. the campness and flamboyance(sp?) is gone.

therefore its like kareoke in my view

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
dougdeep said:
Rogers is a good singer, you youngsters should check out some tracks by Free or Bad Company.

Well thatnks for the 'Youngsters' comment but actually I've seen Free live.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
im not knocking him in anyway what so ever.

put it like this, if the 'beatles 'reformed' with mcartney and star and then two other blokes from another band i would have the same opinion.

its not queen without freddie in my opinion. the campness and flamboyance(sp?) is gone.

therefore its like kareoke in my view

I thought kareoke was drunken muppets who can't sing shouting into a mike thinking they sound great, so don't really see the comparison. But thenjust the mention of kareoke makes me think of scalded cat versions of "I will survive" :lol:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Always rated Rogers voice but I'm afraid what I heard last night sounded like a poor tribute act. No fault of Rogers - when you have lead singer with a different vocal style sometimes it works well, others not and this just didn't work for me.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Paul Rodgers is a quality vocalist, no doubting that, just check out his Muddy Water Blues album. Whether he suits Queens style and can live up to Mercury is a different question alltogether though. But i liked what i heard anyway:)

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Withdean Wanderer said:
Paul Rodgers is a quality vocalist, know doubting that, just check out his Muddy Water Blues album. Whether he suits Queens style and can live up to Mercury is a different question alltogether though. But i liked what i heard anyway:)

Seconded.

Rodgers is great, Queen are great. Shame about Dead Fred but Im glad their still playing. Must get a ticket.

bhaexpress said:
Well thatnks for the 'Youngsters' comment but actually I've seen Free live.

They played the Dome when I saw 'em in 73, and it sounded like every bird in the house had an orgasm when Kossoff hit the first chord of 'Alright Now'.

Rogers only had Marriott as a peer in the late 60's, but James Dewar of Robin Trower's band was great in the early 70s

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I was at Hyde ark and it was a really good night, especially with Peter Kay and Razorlight on board.

Pays your money and take your choice, I guess.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Brian May and the rest realised they needed more money to afford their luxury homes so thought up this tour and bollocks with Rodgers as a way to keep the millions coming in...'nuff said!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here