Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QuarkXpress help needed

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Your problem is Quark Express. It's a shockingly out of date restrictive piece of software that is constantly rolled out as the only way to publish when it offers little or no compatibility with anything else. Which is probably why you can't set it to millimetres, those who programmed it probably want the whole world to live in the past.

Well, that's my opinion, never causes me anything but trouble in my business, everytime there is a file format problem, it's f***ing Quark Express, never anything else.

But hey, you might need it to comply with the industry you're in, but don't expect flexibilty or ease of use trying to get a European preference working on it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
All the setting for measuremetns are in the Preferences folder.

Nowt wrong with my Quark Xpress, highly compatible with everything Adobe produces.

Quark is a perfectly acceptable design tool. Adobe InDesign may be heading upwards and onwards, but that doesn't matter too much as its the printing industry that has the upper hand in deciding what's compatible. And seeing as the vast majority of artwork is now supplied as high-res PDF, there isn't much problem one way or the other.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
*hugs InDesign*

Quark has such terrible problems with back-compatiblity with older and forward-compatibility with newer file formats, its bloody painful.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Go to Preferences (usually under the Quark Xpress menu).

In the 'Measurements' options, you can choose between Inches, Inches Decimal, Picas, Points, Millimetres, Centimetres, Ciceros and Agates. For both vertical and horizantal scales.

Superphil is completely wrong.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
bhafc99 said:
Go to Preferences (usually under the Quark Xpress menu).

In the 'Measurements' options, you can choose between Inches, Inches Decimal, Picas, Points, Millimetres, Centimetres, Ciceros and Agates. For both vertical and horizantal scales.

what he said . . .you can change the units easily

export as EPS which any man worth his salt can read

I've been using it for 10 years on and off . . . did the REMF posters with it, its a doddle to use

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Quit and reopen Quark. Change the measurements with the programme running, but BEFORE you open or create any documents. Quit and reopen to check it's saved the change. Then open/create a document.

That should do it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
bhafc99 said:

I thank you for your blanced statement there, however, I pointed out that it was my .opinion , and justified it by stating that the design & print industry requires it be used in so many instances.

(Please note that an opinion cannot be wrong)

In my business we have design agencies, on an almost daily basis, offering us Quark files which cannot be used to laser cut, router cut or blade cut on the cutting equipment we use.

As far as we have been made aware by the said designers, the files cannot be converted into a suitble file format, whereas Illustrator, Autocad, Freehand, Photoshop, Corel, InDesign etc can all provide what we need, as can a PDF from any of those programs. If you make a PDF from Quark it can't be used.

This is why I think it is a restrictive program, and there would appear to be others on here who agree.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
File
Preferences
Document

change to millimeters

Close quark and reopen and bingo - bobs your mothers brother...

bhafc99 said it also..

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Superphil said:
I thank you for your blanced statement there, however, I pointed out that it was my .opinion , and justified it by stating that the design & print industry requires it be used in so many instances.

(Please note that an opinion cannot be wrong)

In my business we have design agencies, on an almost daily basis, offering us Quark files which cannot be used to laser cut, router cut or blade cut the materials we use.

As far as we have been made aware by the said designers, the files cannot be converted into a suitble file format, whereas Illustrator, Autocad, Freehand, Photoshop, Corel, InDesign etc can all provide what we need, as can a PDF from any of those programs. If you make a PDF from Quark it can't be used.

This is why I think it is a restrictive program, and there would appear to be others on here who agree.
IN MY OPINION, Phil, your design agencies need a kick up the arse then.

It's easy to make a cut-out template in Quark. You simply make the the shape you desire, then give it a 'special' or PANTONE colour (instead of a CMYK colour). Then the printer can make up the die-cut from that.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
TLO, I'm going arse kicking to test out your opinion, I really hope it works, cause I'm cheesed off with Quark files.

Cheers fella

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here