Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Publically humiliating Leyton Orient

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I'm currently writing the copy for the London 2012 Olympic bid website. (Don't look at the current site, it's crap and is being replaced in the next few weeks.) Today I am doing a section on our existing sporting life, and...

...I've managed to slip in a derogatory dismissal of Leyton Orient. Hurrah! Check out the fifth paragraph:

Prestigious and prominent, memorable and moving, London has hosted many of the world’s greatest sporting moments in some of the world’s greatest sporting venues.

It’s one of the few cities in the world whose venues embody a sport. Wimbledon. Wembley. Lords. Twickenham. Not many have a sporting heritage as noble and wide-ranging as London’s. It’s also one that includes two previous Olympics, in 1908 and 1948.

Our capacity to hold world-class international fixtures is considerable. And the additions planned for the Olympics would make it unbeatable. There are facilities and venues for almost every sport imaginable in and around the capital.

These are already part of life in London. Every day of every week, world class sport is being played, here and now.

Top of any list must come football. England is the game’s spiritual home, and London its centre. We have 14 professional teams, from Premier League clubs such as Arsenal and Chelsea down to local minnows like Leyton Orient. Thousands upon thousands flock to games across the city. Wembley, the most iconic stadium ever and site of the Euro 96 final, is currently being rebuilt into a 90,000-capacity venue. It’s due to be ready by 2006.

Second only in size is Twickenham, home of the reigning world rugby champions England, and a famous stage for international rugby. It hosted the 1999 World Cup final. Rugby, both union and league, is played across the city.

As is cricket, with Lords and the Oval hosting both national and international games. Tennis has Wimbledon, rowing the River Thames… The list is never-ending, through from greyhound racing to American Football.

And ringed around the capital, in most cases just an hour or two away, are countless more legendary venues. Horseracing at Ascot. Rowing at Henley. F1 at Silverstone. Horsejumping at Hickstead. Sailing in the Solent.

It's no wonder that the world comes to London to play sport. Because London truly has it all.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
bhafc99 said:

Second only in size is Twickenham, home of the reigning world rugby champions England, and a famous stage for international rugby. It hosted the 1999 World Cup final. Rugby, both union and league, is played across the city.

As is cricket, with Lords and the Oval hosting both national and international games. Tennis has Wimbledon, rowing the River Thames… The list is never-ending, through from greyhound racing to American Football.

The 1999 rugby World Cup final was held at Cardiff. And Lord's has an apostrophe in it.

Hope the rest of the copy is more accurate.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Re: Re: Publically humiliating Leyton Orient

Gwylan said:
The 1999 rugby World Cup final was held at Cardiff. And Lord's has an apostrophe in it.

lol

good job in the orient though. could have been more forthright though

noone would have minded if you'd written 'local TWATS leyton orient'

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Gwylan said:

Miaow! :D

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Oops, ta. Damn the Welsh!

and is The AMP Oval officially.

which of course hosted the first ever International football match (England v Scotland) in 1872 and the first ever F.A. Cup Final.

and what pray are the national games of which you speak that are played at Lord's and The Oval.

and I would have though the 1966 World Cup Final was worthy of a mention

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire

Gwylan said:

And I think you'll find it's now called The AMP Oval....!!

It's definitely 'The Oval', as opposed to 'the Oval' though...

Sorry to be pedantic, but I thought I'd point it out to you before your boss shouts at you..!!!

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Damn you, Storer68...!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is the 14 professional teams accurate as well?

I make it 13 (that's including Watford and Wimbledon and it's stretching the point to call them London teams). Have I missed one?

And surely "league teams" or "full-time professional" are more accurate phrases. The Vauxhall Conference teams are professional.

Everyone's an editor, eh? I'm not putting any of my copy up on this site to knocked down :)

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
Calling us minnows alongside Arsenal and Chelsea is not insulting at all. I really dont have a problem with your text BHAFC99 other than the f***ing awful spelling, punctuation, and mainly cos its drivelling bollox.

Smile.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Isn't humiliating a samll time club like Orient rather beneath us ?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
bhafc99 said:
And ringed around the capital, in most cases just an hour or two away,

An hour or two? With roadworks starting on the M25? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here