Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proposed changes to County Cricket for 2013

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
They should FINISH the 20/20 tournament before the footy season starts. Its ANNOYING having to make a choice when Sussex get there.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd still favour getting rid of the 40/50 over game completely and extending the number of games in T20. That is where the money is.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Spreading the t20 across the whole season will make it very hard for counties to attract top class international players which will affect attendances even more. Not a good move IMO

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm not a fan of extending the 40 over format to 50 overs, it just increases that DULL bit in the middle of an innings.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Scrap the T20 game entirely - its the shittiest most meaningless form of cricket imaginable.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Scrap the T20 game entirely - its the shittiest most meaningless form of cricket imaginable.

Yes great idea, scrap the form of the game that makes money and gets people interested in the game :thumbsup:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
  • 40 over competion changes to 50 overs.
  • T20 spread out over the summer on fridays/saturdays.
  • 16 game County Championship retained.

First-class counties ready to help England with switch back to 50-over one-day format - Telegraph

Sensible, playing 40 rather than 50 overs is utterly pointless. The 50 over format has the ebb and flow without the time commitment to the 4 day game that the casual spectator can't afford. T20 is fine, and it does bring in some money, but as far I know it's still test cricket that brings in the big bucks and we shouldn't forget that.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I wish 20/20 would piss off, however counties are now completely reliant on the income it generates so they have to retain it in their plans. But there still is a balancing act and the crowds have dropped recently due to a combination of our summer's and the complete overkill of this form of the game.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Could we stop playing 9 Championship games by mid May?

It is correct to extend the one dayers to 50 overs so that they fall in line with ODI's. However the 40 overs makes for a better game, not sure why, but it does. Also it will be a pain to have day / night 50 over games, which will start at 230pm. The 40 over games start at 4.40pm, which tends to mean not having to take time off to see the whole game.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Whatever they decide they should put on more cricket on saturdays when it's not the football season.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

Its not Cricket IMO...but it has bought money into the game (and all the ills that go with that!) I had the feeling T20 was slowly lossing it appeal anyway, grounds did not look that full this season. 50 overs is a slightly better format than 40, and 4 day cricket is needed to show batsmen that its not all wham bam thank you mam, and a innings can be slowly built, and the bowler can find line and length in their own time and winkle a batsman out by using skill.

Mind you test cricket is king and always will be.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Schedule 20/20 for May/June so it's done and dusted.

Then give the CC prominence in the key July and August slot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here