Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proposed changes to County Cricket for 2013

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
I'm not a fan of extending the 40 over format to 50 overs, it just increases that DULL bit in the middle of an innings.

Apart from we are one of the few countries not playing domestic 50 over cricket which is a bit odd when we play it at international level.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Sussex are more successful at 40 overs than 50, so I'm not in favour of that. This season we were on fire in T20 then the finals day was a whole month after the 1/4's when our form was gone.
Also agree with seagullondon: "Spreading the t20 across the whole season will make it very hard for counties to attract top class international players which will affect attendances even more. Not a good move IMO"

D

Deleted member 18477

sounds good. although i only watch england play cricket so im not bothered. but yes having 40 overs is weird if its 50 overs at international level. so back to 50 is good surely.

20/20's are class and test match cricket is still the best format!

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
That would be the sensible thing to do, so no chance of it actually happening.

Why do you think it is sensible? Actually very few people want to watch 4 day county cricket on Saturdays and Sundays.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
If you're talking historically, not so.

40 overs winners: 1982, 2008, 2009
50 overs winners: 1963, 1964, 1978, 1986, 2006

NOt quite - 63 and 64 were 65 overs and 78 and 86 were 60 overs. So actually we've won one 50 over comp (2006) and 3 40 overs comps

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Why do you think it is sensible? Actually very few people want to watch 4 day county cricket on Saturdays and Sundays.

When there has been a LVCC game on a saturday at Hove there seems to be a few more people than on a weekday.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
My thoughts are:

1. 16 County Games - excellent news but please play them in the Summer and not the Spring and Autumn.

2. T20 in the UK does not attract Top International Stars in any case, no matter when it is played - much
though I enjoyed PIG's performances for Sussex he cannot be described as a Top International, so
again agree with spreading it out.

3. 50 over International Cricket may well disappear in the next few years leaving us just T20 and Test
Matches so why go back to the format? 40 over cricket does not have that interminable middle bit
when the second string bowlers bowl to defensive fields and concede 6 singles an over while everyone
gets ready for the last 10 over slog.

So 2 out 3 right....

Oh and if the 50 over competition is to be split into regions like the Pro40 can we have 8 qualifiers and proper Quarter and Semi-Finals please?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Scrap the T20 game entirely - its the shittiest most meaningless form of cricket imaginable.

This. It just isn't cricket. Worst thing they ever did to the game.
four day games and proper 50 over 1 day games only . T20 like watching baseball a crap slog fest

Feb 14, 2010
Agree with people on here. I would like a proper county championship, where at least one days play is played on the weekend and then also a 20/20 once a week. The one day game is neither a good long game of cricket or short game fast cricket. It falls between two stalls and its time to write it off to history. If only tho' if only.

The 40 over format was at its best when it was the Sunday League. Regular games, throughout the season, on the same day of the week. It still works for football - at least below the Premier League.

AlbionRob

Dec 25, 2011
The 40 over format was at its best when it was the Sunday League. Regular games, throughout the season, on the same day of the week. It still works for football - at least below the Premier League.

Didn't Sussex win the John Player Special League in about 1982? I have a vague memory of running on the pitch and bumping into Garth Le Roux.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Scrap the T20 game entirely - its the shittiest most meaningless form of cricket imaginable.

Have to disagree with this....T20 has done a lot to improve players batting, bowling and most importantly fielding....which is used in all forms of the game!

it is a good exciting format and because of this gets kids interested in playing because without them cricket will die on its arse :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here