Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prince Regent Swimming Pool

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Oi council, sort it out NOW.

With the King Alfred due to get bulldozed for the Gehry "designed on acid" Towers, the Prince Regent will be the only pool left in the area.

I have been going there recently and it is a total DUMP. Half the showers don't work and 3/4 of the lockers are broken. The customer service is so bad it's almost funny. There is some physically repulsive bloke that sits there all morning doing a sudoku - he doesn't even look up from it when he takes your money. If anyone has seen The Pool sketches on the Day Today, that's spot on.

It really is a disgusting shithole and the council should be embarassed. Rant over.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I haven't been there in 15 years after rumours of the pool being used as a communal urinal and the pool not being cleaned properly.

Good to hear that nothings changed there then.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Brighton is crap for swimming facilities: when I was young we had three to go to: North Road, King Alfred and Black Rock. Now it's piss-poor for a resort town.

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
I heard there was about 100 different cases of urine and about 20 cases of sperm found in the main pool

So i chose NOT to go anywhere near the place

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
....and when the council try and build a state-of-the-art swimming pool, incorporating some stunning modern architecture, and at no cost to the tax payer, what happens?

Brighton and Hove is a city now, so get with it, get up to date (this is the 21st century you now) and support adventurous and useful building in your community.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
whats wrong with WADURS? :jester:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
triangle:bowdown:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Sea :bowdown:

How are plans going with the arena at Black Rock. Will that have a pool or is it for things like volleyball etc.

What is replacing the old pool by the West Pier? Presumably they are waiting on the verdict of the i360 and it would be used for that.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
BarrelofFun said:
What is replacing the old pool by the West Pier? Presumably they are waiting on the verdict of the i360 and it would be used for that.
They have replaced it, with quite a smart paddling pool on the other side of the pier, near the Bedford (as was).

I can't look at it without pangs of regret: I'd already gone home from a stag do when my other "mates" walking back to Hove (ha!) came across three separate hen parties clowning around in it at about 3am. Did they call me up and get me out of bed? Did they f***. :angry: In fact, AFTERS was one of them.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
What remains of Black Rock Pool now sits under about 8ft of concrete next door to the Marina. Personally, I don't remember it. I would have been 8 when it was demolished (1978). However, here is a pic for Nostalgia freaks.

black_rock_lido_facing_demolition.JPG

Btw, you think Prince Regent is bad. The North Road Baths which it replaced (built on the site) was awful. I went there when I was about 6 with the school. It was Victorian and all the changing cubicles were around the pool. It closed in 1979 and the Prince Regent was built there the following year.

01323.jpg

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Man of Harveys said:
They have replaced it, with quite a smart paddling pool on the other side of the pier, near the Bedford (as was).

I can't look at it without pangs of regret: I'd already gone home from a stag do when my other "mates" walking back to Hove (ha!) came across three separate hen parties clowning around in it at about 3am. Did they call me up and get me out of bed? Did they f***. :angry: In fact, AFTERS was one of them.

Afters! :angry: :jester: I don't think you could ever get over something like that. Imagine the possibilities!!

They only recently laid tarmac down, but it looks very temporary. Shame, as the current paddling pool get chocker during the day.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I used to go there as a child some many moons ago. Before i grew hairy, manly knockers and pallid skin of doubt and aged regret. I would always have a carrier bag with a wet towel and dirty, damp trunks on the way back. As i strolled home, i would throw that bag up the side of St Peters Church and see how many birdturds i could sweep down. Of course, i tried to make sure no such anal vigilantes stabbed my scalp with inedible brew, but it was always a bit of fun.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, the old North Road baths look exactly like the old Heene Road baths in Worthing. Anyone else remember them? They had the cubicles round the pool too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here